Update Notifications Plugin: Installation and Activation

I have wordpress installed on my mac and am running the gridmarket theme which needs to be updated to correct an issue.

I followed the instructions for installation of the Update Notifications plugin, but it does not show up in Plugins-Installed Plugins. The instructions alternatively suggest going to Plugins-Add New. I would prefer to do this, but I cannot find it in a search of available plugins.

I installed this plugin exactly the same way that I installed Akismet (which is in “Installed Plugins” menu and works like a charm).

Do you know the link for the plugin in the “Add New” direct download area of WordPress? Please help.

Thank you

Cara

• baselb5
    • Flash Drive

Hi Phil,

The Mac automatically unzips the folder in the Downloads box. I just copy it and paste it to the plug-ins folder. Applications/Mamp/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins. It is there with the Akismet folder and hello.php and index.php. Although I don’t see my other plugins there

Just thinking about deleting the theme completely and relaoding it using Filezilla is making me feel like I’m about to have a panic attack.

I’ll leave grid market broken until someone figures out how to get the updater loaded in the wordpress plug-in menu. Aaron’s other plugins are there and WPMU pushes it so heavily. Please encourage them to add it.

Thank you

Cara

• baselb5
    • Flash Drive

I would like to use the Update Notification PLUGIN to update the Gridmartket THEME.

Therefore I am trying to install the Update Notification PLUGIN. I am having difficulty installing and activating the Update Notification PLUGIN. I have added it to my PLUGIN folder, but it does not appear on the dashboard for activation with the rest of my PLUGINs. It may be easier for all of your users if this PLUGIN was added to the PLUGIN -> ADD NEW catalog in wordpress.

I have no desire to delete and reinstall my entire THEME just because I am too daft to install the PLUGIN that is supposed to do it automatically.

Thanks,

Cara

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Cara,

Can you please tell me exactly what you have in your plugins folder?

We’ve had trouble with Macs “auto-unzipping” before. As far as I understand it, the unzipping is not successful and is probably why you have an issue.

Turn off the auto-unzipping and download again, manually unzip the files and move the plugins folder.

Are you using Multisite? Do you see the plugin in network admin?

Phil

• baselb5
    • Flash Drive

Hi Phil,

I turned off the auto-extract, re-downloaded the file, unzipped it, moved it to the plugin folder and it still isn’t showing up in my plugins menu.

In the Installation and Use instructions, it says “4. Alternatively you can also upload the plugin zip file at Plugins -> Add New -> Upload.” Why can’t I just do that?

Thanks

Cara

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Cara,

Yes you could try that suggestion too.

I believe the issue may be that the permissions are incorrect or the owner/group settings are wrong.

When you use FTP you should see a column showing the permissions and another for owner/group. Can you take a screenshot of that please?

Phil

• baselb5
    • Flash Drive

Phil,

I would love to use the option “Alternatively you can also upload the plugin zip file at Plugins -> Add New -> Upload” but the plugin is NOT in the WordPress catalog.

I don’t know what an FTP is. Can you give me a clue and point me in the right direction?

Again, it may be easier for all of your users if this PLUGIN was added to the PLUGIN -> ADD NEW catalog in WordPress.

Thanks,

Cara

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

WordPress.org doesn’t allow premium plugins in the directory.

You can certainly try simply uploading the ZIP, but I believe the problem won’t be overcome by that.

As it’s on your Mac I’m not sure what the situation is with permissions compared to a normal server but I’ll ask someone with a Mac to offer thoughts.

Phil

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

There's nothing wrong with the plugin instructions (unless they've already been updated).

I've attached an image to show where the upload button is for the zip file. I believe that the automatic unzipping only occurs within Safari. If you're not able to disable that you should be able to use Firefox of Chrome without issue.

I just tested the process myself on the Mac running locally with MAMP and wasn't able to recreate any issue. I see this is marked resolved so hoping all is well. If not, please let us know.

Thanks!

• baselb5
    • Flash Drive

Hey MasonJames,

Wow! When you sent this message, I was still lost, but your screenshot was exactly what I needed.

The installation and use instructions for this plugin do say Plugin->Add New->Upload. BUT I was doing a SEARCH, not realizing that it would look for the file on my computer.

Thank you both for your patience.

Cara

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.