[Update Services] Update Wordpress core option

The only option to update the Wordpress core manually is via a cronjob in 'Automate', i need an option to update my websites manually, just like i can do with the plugins.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello StandOut Reclame

I hope you're well today!

I'm not sure if I understand the goal correctly so let's make sure that we're on the same side first, please :slight_smile:

The WP core would in fact be automatically updated in most cases anyway, even without automate, because WP by default forces automatic updates of the core - except for the major releases. Since 3.7 version all the minor and security updates are applied in the background automatically.

That is, unless it's either impossible for the script to write to the file or if you have disabled core updates on purpose via wp-config.php.

So, the "manual update" that you're asking about could be possible in two cases:

- either major releases (that are not automatically updated anyway)
    - or all releases if automatic WP updates are disabled on site

Is any of those (or both) the case that you're referring to? Or did I miss anything? I'm just trying to make sure that I'll pass right suggestions further on to our project managers/developers so let me know please :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• StandOut Reclame
    • New Recruit

Hello Adam!
    Yes, we disable auto updates on our sites.
    With every update there is a chance of compatibility issues with our framework and Wordpress, so if we auto update through WP itself or update on a fixed date with WPMU's "Automate" we have the chance to break a lot of sites at once, now this situation will rarely happen of course, but we would want to avoid it.

Most of the time when there are updates to the core we'll test the update on a test and / or live website first before updating everything. With your proposed options that's not possible in an easy way, so is there a way for this to work?

I hope you'll understand our goal now, and thanks for the comment :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Andrew Standout Reclame

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi StandOut Reclame

Thank you for the response, it's clear for me now. Currently, the WP core update can only be enabled or disabled and if enabled it will work by schedule. If it's disabled, the other option is to follow the "Security" tab in The Hub where it will show a button to "fix" it if the core is outdated. However, this button would lead to the site's dashboard directly, opening the Defender's "Security Tweaks" and would only work if Defender is up and running.

I've passed the case to our team behind The Hub/Automate, suggesting adding that kind of manual update there so while I'm not able to make promises at this moment, I can confirm that the idea was submitted to them and they'll put it under consideration :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello StandOut Reclame

I just got additional information that I think would be a good news :slight_smile: There's going to be an option added to manually trigger WP core updates in The Hub 2.0. I'm not quite sure whether it will be there right from the start, after it's released, or added a bit later (but even if so - it won't be long) but it's confirmed that it's gonna be there.

Have a great day!
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.