Update to ProSites

I’m wondering if we can get enough requests for some updates to ProSites that WPMU DEV will consider making them.

I love ProSites, it allows us to run one of our businesses without the huge cost of developing a system.

After using other WPMUDEV plugins such as Members pro 2 I start to realise that ProSites has been neglected. I think there are so many areas in which ProSites can be updated and the admin improved and I just wanted to see how many people felt the same and to see what features people want.

Here are my requests:

Improved reports

MembersPro 2 invoicing

Dedicated network admin area for ProSite sites where you can see instantly renewal dates, payments, green icon for paying, orange icon for trials and red for expired or cancelled plans.

Shortcodes for registration and pricing tables

More payment gateways/all the gateways from MembersPro 2

Addons for ProSites such as Gravity Forms registration integration

• Charlie
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Prosites is such a powerful plugin – I love it. However I agree with Lakewood, after using other plugins it is missing out in areas. I know it’s big a scary but please give it some love soon! A status dashboard of renewals is also a great idea.

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

I do agree with the whole list :slight_smile:

ProSites is the reason I became a member here 4 years ago. It’s that kind of plugin that has no alternative (that I found).

In the list by Lakewood, this one is vital:

“Dedicated network admin area for ProSite sites where you can see instantly renewal dates, payments, green icon for paying, orange icon for trials and red for expired or cancelled plans.”

I would also like the different levels not to be linear, as for now the level 2 gets all what is in level 1 + something, and level 3 gets all what’s in level 2 + something… I would like that we can define what comes to each level separately. For example the premium themes and plugins, or quota etc available to each level, and also a better integration with New Blog Template (choices available to each level), (however this is maybe something I missed and is already existing?)

:slight_smile:

• Steve
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Iam here for the same reason, pro-sites being the one of the plugins that is keeping me here, but updates are hard to coming these days.

I have been keeping my eye out on services like wpultimo.com other on the rise. I personally do not want to switch but would love to see features like Patricia BT mentioned

1) Ability to see who has reserved sites,

2) Who is trailing out

3) Able to manually verify and approve sites

4) A bit more Cleaner UI for Pending Payments, Sites about to Expire ( So Emails can be sent out) Etc

These are critical features missing and would be awesome if WPMUDev gave a big hug to Prosites.

• Lakewood
    • The Crimson Coder

Prosites does work for us but only on the most basic of levels. We have to keep separate spreadsheets to manage subscriptions and have a clear view of what is going on. Even if they just took Membership 2 Pro and just forked it into a new version of PS it would be 100 times better than it is now.

• Baldafrican
    • Made in Africa

Wonderful thread here! Thanks Lakewood !

In addition to the aforementioned items, I personally would like more flexibility on the frontend plans/pricing page. Would be great if it could be displayed with shortcodes rather than how it is now. This would allow us to style the page as we want it rather than have to style around the prosites outdated design. Then again, that may just be me :slight_smile:

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

Hi.

Thank you for mentioning WPUltimo. It’s the first time I come across a real alternative for Pro Sites, as until now, Pro Sites was the only solution (I knew of), and this made my membership with WPMUDev essential.

(As a side note, I will anyway continue for now my membership with WPMUDev, even if I do not use many plugins, as I have been grandfathered in a good yearly price, and it’s worth even with only say Snapshots and 10GB cloud backup plus the community forums)

But I’m going to test this competitor and compare the 2 plugins, and the best will be chosen (and “promoted”, as I’m preparing a course on how to run a multisite network). I hope Pro Sites will get a complete overhaul soon!

• Caspian
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Patricia, please let us know how you find the comparison. I’m in the planning stages of a business built entirely around Pro Sites. After reading the Member Forums I’m significantly more nervous. The last update seems to have been 2015 (I wish WPMUDEV would date their Changelog). WPUltimo is the only alternative I’ve heard of.

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

Hi @Caspian

I’m not sure if it’s appropriate to discuss WPMUDev competitor on WPMUDev site…

But well, this topic lacks an official answer from WPMUDev team so …

I bought WP Ultimo the other day (and it gets lifetime update, yeah)!

For now, I only installed it on a test site, it looks robust, well coded, following WP Standards, and internationalised. It includes some but not all of the features from Pro Sites, and uses Mercator by Human Made for domain mapping

The best for you is to see their demo site.

But as my dream features are in neither in Pro Site nor in WP-Ultimo, if they do not appear in next versions of one of the plugins, I might try to fork them (they should be GPL) and create my own plugin, with the features I need, and with the help of a real developer.

Let’s see…

• Caspian
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for the review Patricia, I’ll check out their demo and compare. What makes a WPMUDev subscription compelling is the size of the ecosystem offered. I don’t envy them trying to support and update such a huge list. But as a user it can get frustrating when your favorite plugin doesn’t get attention.

• Jason
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I just tried the WP Ultimo demo and there are definitely some things there that I would love to see integrated into Pro Sites.

1. Dedicated subscription page

2. Their version of the "Levels" page shows the number of customers subscribed to each level

3. Their stats page shows total earned revenue

[image pos="2"]

4. The Admin Bar dropdown is a nice touch

5. The Users page displays the plan associated with the user and the plan is in the user's profile page.

6. Per their support staff, their plans are attached to the user, not the site. This makes integrating with membership plugins much easier.

[image pos="6"]

This isn't to say Pro Sites is a slouch (it's far from it) and I love WPMU Dev but these features are some must-haves. The Pro Sites modules (Premium plugins, Advertising, Quotas, etc) easily beat Wp Ultimo's.

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

Hi Jason,

I only installed it on a test site, and didn’t test extensively. You actually described very well in your comment below, and I have nothing to add!

I’m not sure if we can restrict plugins use with WP Ultimo, like with Pro Sites’ Premium Plugins module, this is something that I need….

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Patricia BT,

Do you have the possibility to see with the Pro Sites dev, or a team lead, if an update or even a complete overhaul is planned in the coming months?

At the moment, I don’t have any such updates from the developers regrading an overhaul. I’ll definitely pass the observations made in this thread for consideration down the development road map, to make the plugin more flexible.

Will keep you posted, if I have any news regrading this. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,

Nithin

• Baldafrican
    • Made in Africa

Hi Nithin ,

Indeed thanks very much for your reply.

That said, while I do understand your hands are tied when it comes to these questions, it would be of great help if we could actually get an update from a team lead or developer as to what to expect this year at least regarding ProSites updates/upgrades rather than getting the generic “will pass on the observations …down the devlopment road map” as it seems this road map is a VERY long road seeing as users have been asking about this for quite some time now and there has not been much response. :slight_frown:

• Lakewood
    • The Crimson Coder

WPUltimo looks pretty good, although switching over would mean getting rid of WPMUDEV as the main reason we stay is for ProSite updates.

Come on WPMUDEV you must be making enough revenue from users who are here just for ProSites to justify even the most basic updates like fixing the PayPal double trial and adding an area to users admin where they can manage their subscription??

• Jason

Lakewood,

I’ve switched over and don’t regret it. I still use WPMUDEV for other things and will continue doing so. Their support team has been a great help. Even at 3am with live chat. About Ultimo, I has most of the features I’ve wanted in Pro Sites and managing the system is very simple. Plus, being about to speak directly with the developer and having the inside track on upcoming features with timelines is a huge plus.

• Jason

Hi Lakewood,

I did migrate from Pro Sites but since we hadn’t gone live that long ago, it wasn’t an issue. I did successfully convert my accounts from ProSites without an issue. Arindo, the dev at Ultimo will release a conversion tool for current ProSites user. One thing that I LOVE is that the pricing table is in a shortcode. It’s allowed me to add the signup to landing pages without having to click out to a Pro Sites page. Also, the customer account management being in the back end is great. It adds a more professional appearance to my business.

• Lakewood
    • The Crimson Coder

Okay, that sounds great. I’m seriously thinking about moving over now. I’ve been in touch with the developers and they said there is a migrator being developed but he asked if he could have your details so he can see what they did with your migration?

Could I also get a link to your site so I can register?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi there,

There isn’t any plans to abandon the plugin, I do get that the delays had caused issues in your side, and the developers are working on fixing the issues related to current version. At the moment, I’m afraid, I don’t have an exact ETA about the new feature updates, but will definitely keep you all updated once we have considered all the possibilities in improving the plugin. Until that, I’m afraid that I don’t have anything new to share regarding this.

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Jason

Hey Lakewood, I missed the notification for your reply so I apologize for the massively late reply. Ultimo allows to manually add and edit subscriptions and terms from existing users and sites. You could leave Prosites activated and use it to display “Legacy” account info on the Prosites page (remove it from the site menu). Maybe post a notification in the admin for Prosites users that they should use the “New” account page in the admin but the old one will be available for a limited time.

Arindo is till working on the official migrator but adding existing users to Ultimo is pretty straightforward. Plus there’s the ability to have “invisible” plans. If the new plans are different from the the old Prosites plans, you could create a plan in Ultimo that matches the deprecated Prosites plans and apply it specific users. It would only be visible to those users.

• Jason

Hey Bald African, the transparency is definitely something I love about Ultimo. Plus, on the odd occasion that something goes wrong, Arindo is quick to email a patched file to resolve the issue. No complaints here and I like where that roadmap is leading.

• Destination Sud France
    • Recruit

I’m not a good CSS coder and don’t think one should need to use CSS to get a nice pricing table (when looking at other ones in the market)… and the ‘options’ inside the plugin don’t really help. It’s the entire structure of the table which isn’t really ‘keeping up with the competition’. I.e. I have 5 levels, the first 4 are displayed next to each other, the 5th one goes underneath in a ugly way.

• Simplebutcreative Media
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

PRO SITE plugin has the worst UI I’ve ever seen…I’m currently working on making this plugin work with my project but it’s a damn headache dealing with this plugin. I’m trying my best now to make it look somewhat presentable regarding customer flow.

There’s no real live example of a website using this plugin. As I’m typing this comment, on the other screen is me working on the signup form to reserve your site. That section is poorly design. I’m just about ready to quit using this plugin and do all of this stuff manually…

• jetmac
    • Recruit

Rupok ,

Sorry, but the pricing tables on ProSites are terrible. I would consider an overhaul of that entire system. They are simply not good. It’s practically required that the CSS be tailored and that, to me, is a failure of the plugin.

WP Ultimo is hungry for your business and by not innovating and updating, you are practically giving it away to them.

WPMU needs to up its game in a serious way.

• Tracy Renee

For those of you that got the wpultimo plugin, what was the timeframe of how things took place? I ordered the plugin today, but aside from the immediate cute drop down receipt on their page with my serial number, and my receipt from paypal, I’ve received nothing … no email from them with the plugin or anything else. I am leaving them a message now, but I was wondering if this is the norm and their process is more manual?

ALSO… sorry wpmu, but everyone here is right, this plugin is like pivotal to your collection and really needs to be given an overhaul in a big way or i wouldn’t have gotten this one. I did so for 2 key reasons, first, what i can do with the front end display of the pricing table is really nice but much more importantly, the hidden membership types so that i can set up a type for my own sites i have in the network and I’m not billing myself lol.

I have to say I agree with everything everyone here has said and believe me I read everything with rapt attention to detail as this is a very important thing for me right now. Thank you to all who participated, you were so helpful!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.