Updated Plugins killing dashboard

This morning I could not get into my dashboard. I did the usual – moved all the plugins into a new folder and then added them back, one by one to see which was causing the error. As it turns out, there were quite a few, including several I updated yesterday.

Achievements

Comments Plus

Cubepoints and Cubepoints BP Integration

Dynamic Widgets

Membership

Social Marketing

Snapshot

Quick Status

Any idea why I am running into this problem? The last thing I did before updating plugins was install forums, which in and of itself was a messy project, so I had just disabled bbpress. Reinstalling it today caused no problems however…

Thanks!

Isis

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings isis,

All of the above highlighted plugins cause your dashboard to go crazy?

Any idea why I am running into this problem? The last thing I did before updating plugins was install forums, which in and of itself was a messy project, so I had just disabled bbpress. Reinstalling it today caused no problems however…

Can you limit it down to any less what appears to be plugins causing the problem?

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• isis
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Joe,

Yes, I will try to limit it down more… Perhaps I’ll unstall every plugin and just put each of these in all by themselves to see if they cause the dashboard to crash? It may be that they are interracting with another plugin to cause this issue?

Ugh…this is going to take a while, but I will let you know!

I don’t know if this has anything to do with this same issue; was going to post it elsewhere, but I get this error today:

[22-Feb-2012 03:47:10] PHP Warning: require_once(ABSPATHWPINC/class-simplepie.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/********/public_html/wp-includes/class-feed.php on line 4

[22-Feb-2012 03:47:10] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘ABSPATHWPINC/class-simplepie.php’ (include_path=’.:disappointed:usr/lib64/php:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear’:wink: in /home/********/public_html/wp-includes/class-feed.php on line 4

Line 4 of that file looks like:

<?php

if ( !class_exists('SimplePie') )
    <strong>require_once (ABSPATH . WPINC . '/class-simplepie.php'</strong>);

class WP_Feed_Cache extends SimplePie_Cache {
    /**
    * Create a new SimplePie_Cache object
    * @static
    * @access public
    */
    function create($location, $filename, $extension) {
    return new WP_Feed_Cache_Transient($location, $filename, $extension);

Do you think this has anything to do with the problems I am experiencing today? This error message first appeared yesterday after I updated the WPMU plugins and was the only thing to pop up today.

I’ll keep working on this, but sure appreciate any guidance!

Cheers!

Isis

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings isis,

No problem on the new at posting code.

I am just wondering if Simple Pie or perhaps WP_Feed_Cache is causing an issue – that is what the error is about – though it could be being caused by the plugin missing trying to access something that does not exist.

In testing, you may not want to remove/disable the cache plugin due to these types of errors, cache errors interfering.

As a matter of fact you may want to dump/uninstall the cache just long enough to troubleshoot our current problem.

What is our current status?

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member.

• isis

Okay, so I have gone back and pulled every single plugin and then tried each one of the above alone. At stand-alone mode, each plugin works fine. I then started adding them back in one by one and all was well until at some point I realized I was no longer “logged-in” on the front end (I had dashboard and front page up and was refreshing each as I installed plugins). I’m moving backwards now to try and see which one is causing the not staying logged in issue to happen.

Oh my…what a day!

• isis

Okay, so I found the culprit – WP Super Cache

Which is strange because it seemed to have been working brilliantly until just the past day or so. Perhaps it and bbpress do not play well together?

I’ll go in and see if my forums work in better now that I have that plugin out of the picture.

Sorry to have alerted an alarm – goes to show how just one plugin can really muck up a bunch of other good ones.

On that note, what caching plugin do you guys suggest? My site has a lot of features, so I believe a good cache system is a necessity….

Thanks!

Isis

• isis

Joe,

I did not see your note from a bit ago. I had wondered about the cache issue with the error message. Looks as though I should have singled in on WP Super Cache a lot sooner. Ooops!

Thanks for the good advice, however!

Isis

• isis

Well, all is not good as it turns out.

Installing plugins went fine, leaving off the WP Super Cache. Now when going through the list and activating or deactivating several (I mean quite a few) plugins produce a blank page upon updating their status (activated or deactivated).

Should I have done this in the process of adding them to the plugins folder too?

I’ve never had this problem and I’m really confused as to what has happened to have all of a sudden caused this. Very frustrating to say the least!

• isis

Hi Ovidiu – I actually had WP Super Cache running as it was supposed to be the “most user friendly” cache program for programming idiots like me :slight_smile:

Now, I look back and see that I did indeed, have W3 Total Cache at some point.

I see that I have this file called : advanced-cache.php that I need to get rid of according to some other forums I’m reading?

It is a bit complicated according to http://wordpress.org/support/topic/cant-remove-advanced-cachephp-from-server?replies=3

I’m about to do that process but a little concerned that the forum topic is 3 years old.

So, do I need to do that before I re-install W3 Total Cache?

Sorry, I am so confused :stuck_out_tongue:

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

the point is that (as far as I remember) most caching plugins use that advanced-cache.php file. I remember that the cache plugins do copy that file over there and turn caching on inside wp-config.php

So deleting the respective caching plugin, advanced-cache.php and the line in wp-config.php that reads something like this: define(‘WP_CACHE’, true); should help you get rid of everything.

Of course some caching plugins do add their rewrite rules to your .htaccess file so I’d suggest enabling and disabling those caching plugins first, hoping they will clean up after themselves…

This is dangerous territory but if you disable the caching plugins and make sure the line from wp-config.php is removed or commented out there shouldn’t be any caching hapening…

hope that helps.

• isis

Thanks, Ovidiu,

I really appreciate the help. I got rid of the advanced-cache.php and went back to my original .htaccess file (without all the cahce rules). I've deleted (well moved) all of the cache programs from my plugins directory. Interestingly enough, in my wp-config file the link:

/*define('WP_CACHE', true); Added by WP-Cache Manager*/

was commented out, but just to be safe, I changed it to:

/*define('WP_CACHE', false); Added by WP-Cache Manager*/

So, okay, I think I have cleared all of the cache stuff??

Back to installing and activating plugins. When I got to Login Message, activating it killed my dashboard. I was able to browse back to a state where that was not enabled and all is fine. I am hoping that is the one that is causing the problem (well sort of – hoping I am narrowing it down anyway). I'd like to be able to use that plugin, but I am sure the smart people here will help me with that when I get there.

Now, very interestingly, I had something happen that I have never, ever seen before upon trying to activate several plugins at a time – I was getting impatient – I know, I won't do that anymore. However, I thought it was worth sharing. I went back and disabled each plugin and have been enabling them each one at a time and I haven't been able to get this to recur. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?? (Screenshot) I never have and it makes me wonder if there is something going on on my computer??

• isis

So, actually, all is NOT fine.

Once Login Message killed the dashboard, trying to activate or even deactivate anything else causes the dashboard to white out.

Arggghhhhh

Any advice? I am completely stumped!

• isis

Okay,

The errors have been multiple. I am starting over. Going to restore last night’s backup, move themes and plugins (again) and reinstall, clearing the cache each time. As I get an error or something goes astray, I will post. Thanks for the support!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Isis,

Please keep us appraised of the situation and if you find what is causing the issues as you go forward with troubleshooting open a new ticket if possible directed to the plugin or item causing the issue so we can possibly get a fix sorted for you asap.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

• isis

Hi Joe,

Worked through everything backwards and forwards yesterday. Seems that Marketplace and Infinite SEO weren’t playing “nice”, however, activating them in a different order seemed to fix everything back to its initial state. There was definitely an added measure of instability in there with the cache plugin(s). I don’t think I had cleared out everything I should have before instituting another system to work….likely that’s where the real problem lay. Somehow initiating the Forums on the site caused all of these other components to balk. Clearing up the cache and then working back methodically plugin by plugin, several times over to get it in the right order, resolved everything to a working state.

I was exhausted last night or I would have posted an update. Thanks SO MUCH for all the support. Even if you all were just able to keep pointing me in the right direction, it was nice to know there was a support system out there that would help me if I got really stumped. WPMU rocks – thank you again!

Isis

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.