Updated to WPMU-3.0 & Lost my Images. Help!


I have just updated to 3.0, and whilst everything else has gone smoothly, the only problem I have now is that all of the images in my media library have gone.

Can anybody think of a reason why this might be?


  • Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

    @damianedwards: Forgive me asking these basic questions but did you:

    1. Copy over the entire wp-contents folder when you upgrade - if so you overwrote your themes and images
    2. Have you checked your images are on your sever?
    3. Have you checked your permissions on your server for that folder?

  • damianedwards
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus


    I did change my .htaccess file to add the line:

    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

    Is that what you mean, or have I missed something else?


    Yes I did copy over the entire wp-contents folder. I will check my backup and see what has changed.


  • damianedwards
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus


    I have just checked, and whilst I copied over the wp-contents folder, it only seems to have added a new theme and a couple of other things to the already existing file - all of the previous theme that I added are still there and seem to be the same as before I updated.

  • Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

    Can you load the images in the browser by putting in there real locations? I.e. The blogs.dir path? Do they load in the browser with the files pretend path?

    If no to the first, then it may be a permissions issue. If yes to the first and no to the second, it looks like an ms-files issue.

  • damianedwards
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus


    Yes the files are all still there.

    .htaccess file:

    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    #uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]
    # add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$
    RewriteRule ^(.+)$ $1/ [R=301,L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    <IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off

  • Christopher Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

    I saw a similar thing, even though my .htaccess was modified correctly. Somehow, some of the files in blogs.dir did not survive the upgrade process, so I had broken image links in many blogs including blog/site 1.

    Cracking open the backup I made before the upgrade, and copying over the old blogs.dir files seems to have fixed it. I think I'll make another backup now. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.