Updates failing on my WPMUDev Hosted sites

My automatic updates from the Hub have been failing since I migrated. So, I went to update in my WordPress dashboard, and found I am getting this error: Update Failed: Could not create directory. This is occurring for any plugin.

[update] This is only on the sites that were manually installed. Folder permissions are 755, files 644. It appears this might be an ownership issue?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Myke

It still seems a permission issue. The error “Could not create directory” happens when the web user doesn’t have permission to create files or folders.

Is it a VPS or shared hosting? If you do not manage your hosting, then would you please contact to your host to check the permission issue.

Let us know how it goes. Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Myke
    • Flash Drive

Hey Ash,

As stated (in the title), you are the host, it is my WPMUdev hosting accounts, folder permissions are 755, file permissions are 644. I can’t edit the start of the thread or I would make it so this info is also in the body.

I think WPMUdev’s hosting is having ownership issues when sites are migrated the old fashioned way (FTP and database imports). The one I was able to import through the WPMUdev hosting control panel is fine.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Myke

I am extremely sorry for missing the hosting information on your post. I have talked to the sysadmin and I am informed that the permission issue is fixed. Would you please check again and let me know?

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Myke
    • Flash Drive

Last night. I had an error on the hglogistics site, making backups. It caused Automate to get disabled, again. Just in case this is from the same issue, I am going to watch and see what happens with this site and the others.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Myke,

Our hosting team can confirm that the files and folder permissions are correct, and if there are any further issues the factors shouldn’t relate to files or folder permissions in general.

I checked the folder permission, and it seems to be correct too. We had recently an issue with WPMU DEV API so had to pause Automate in general for some use case. So, if you notice Automate disabled etc, please do enable it again, and check whether you still notice any anomalies regarding automate.

Regards,

Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.