Updates to Network do not affect sites already created

Sorry I have searched but I can't seem to find the exact answer that I am looking for. I am just setting up my network so I am obviously making constant changes. One thing I have noticed is that none of these changes ever seem to affect sites that are already on the network.

Example: I decided to make child themes and disable the master theme. This only shows on new sites added to the network.

Example: I decided to disable most of the plugins and let the user decide on which ones they want to activate. However the old sites still show the original plugin layout.

I find it hard to believe that they are stuck with the original set up only. All sites and Networks evolve correct? What am I missing here?

• Missterbig
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I did manage to get the plugins deactivated on the older sites by using a Plugin Management plugin.
    Still stuck with the duplicate themes though. Please don't tell me that I need Pro Sites because I am using WHMCS on my site and it doesn't seem to work at the same time as Pro Sites... that was a whole other discussion :wink:

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Missterbig

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

May be it's a dumb question, did you network enable the child theme and the theme is not showing in Appearance > Themes for old registered site?

Also, would you please try from here: Network Admin > Sites > All Sites > Edit a site > Themes and then enable. Does it work for you?

Cheers
    Ash

• Missterbig
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I think you are reading my question wrong. The Child theme is enabled and working. The main theme is enabled and working. I disabled the Main theme but I know it still has to be there so i didn't delete it. When you create a new site you only see the child. All old sites still see BOTH. I know I can manually change each blog one by 1. My network is still tiny but I can't imagine that a site like edublogs is manually changing 2 million plus blogs by hand every time they change something.

• Zyniker
    • WordPress Warrior

Themes which are enabled on a subsite and then subsequently disabled at the network level will remain active on the subsite. The alternative is to remove the theme (even temporarily) and load the subsites, which will force them to default to a different theme (or no theme).

As for plugins, if you enable them on a subsite and then disable access to theme at the network level, they will still be enabled on the subsite. Again, you can disable them by deleting them.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Can I check your site live? Please send me your login details and old subsite link.

To send details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash
    Details: Send all required details (admin info and/or ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.
    Also post a note here once you send the info.

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.