Updating between WP Themes

I'm using a theme that is no longer supported or available. I need to update the theme to a new (similar) theme. I'm looking for advise on best practices and steps to ensure the update goes off without a hitch and I do not loose any customization.

The theme I'm using is Astra Childs theme by UpSolution

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Bryan,

I'm looking for advise on best practices and steps to ensure the update goes off without a hitch and I do not loose any customization.

If by customization you mean all the design changes you made to your theme - then it is not possible to move them between themes. Different themes are using different classes, ID selectors, html output is different, so what was working for old theme will not work in theme - it has to be written again but for new theme.

If you mean by that custom functions: filters and actions in your themes functions.php file - then you can move them to Must Use plugins: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/using-mu-plugins/ - this way they will be independent from any theme updates.

If your themes has added custom templates for plugins you are using (like for example custom templates for products in WooCommerce) then those templates will need to be rewritten to match your new theme templates.

Let me know if you have more questions.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.