Updating Events+ but not Membership plugin...???

Hello Support.

We are using:
Membership Premium 3.5.3.2
Events+ 1.8
Google Maps 2.9.0.7

Question: Can I update Events+ and Google Maps and NOT update the Membership plugin...??
Looking at my version numbers for all three plugins, will they work with one of them not upgraded for the time being....??

Thanks in advance.

• Luís
    • Support

Hi Kathy ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Replying directly to your question, the plugins you mentioned are independents, so can choose which one you want to update.

I think by "Membership Premium 3.5.3.2" you are mentioning an old version of our Membership plugin, right?

If yes, you have any concerns regarding to update it to the last version?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

Were added lot's of new features that I think may interest you.

I think there will be no issues if you update Events + and Google Maps, keeping Membership in the old version, however, in order to stay in the safe side, I would like to suggest to make a backup of your entire site. You can use our Snapshot plugin, if you don't have any tool to this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• Kathy
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello.

We have a serious problem.

Following your advice and advice from a separate ticket, we updated the Events+ plugin without updating the old Membership plugin.

This did NOT make the Events+ plugin work on the site. In fact, now the site does not even recognize the Membership plugin...!!!!

The membership plugin has always been activated in the Plugins page and I have even updated it to version 3.5.3.3.

There is a notice at the top that says the membership plugin has to be installed and activated when it has always been there...!!!

I cannot update the membership plugin to the latest version as your WPMU DEV dashboard does not even recognize it...!!

I have granted Support Access to the site.

PLEASE look into this as soon as you can.

Thanks in advance.

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Kathy,

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. If so, I sincerely apologize.

Other than the notice at the top of your page prompting you to install the Membership plugin, is there any part of your Events+ plugin that is not working with the currently installed version of Membership Premium?

If everything is working, and all you are getting is the notice, then you can choose to ignore the notice, if you wish. However, if you're finding that Events+ is not working with the currently installed version of Membership Premium, then yes, you will need to upgrade that plugin in order to restore that functionality.

Please let us know. We'll be happy to dig into this further.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Kathy

Hello again.

Currently, even the WPMY Dev Dashboard does not even see the Membership plugin as being installed.

The plugin itself, version 3.5.3.3, is not working on the site. It is as if it does not even exist, even though it has been part of the site for many months now.

For example, If you go to the Users section and look at any one of the paid members, you will see that they are not assigned a membership.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Membership plugin is not working in its current version.

Thanks in advance.

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Kathy,

If Membership Premium is no longer working after the update of Events+ then we certainly need to look into this further.

In order to prevent loss of memberships and revenue while we work on a solution, would you please restore the backup you took before you upgraded to Events+? That will give us an opportunity to dig into this further and find a solution.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Kathy

Hi.

Before I do that, I have two questions:

1.) Can you look at the site and verify that Membership is indeed not working currently....??

2.) Do I have to re-install all the files as well as the database, or just the database only...??

Thanks.

• Kathy

Ignore my previous email.

I have gone ahead and installed both the saved database as well as all the files for the site.

This puts it back to a state where none of the plugins from WPMU DEV have been updated.

We maintain membership benefits outside of the site. We are using the Membership-plugin for just processing payments but they are not getting any special access to the site. Also, the ONLY other use for using the Membership-plugin is to give them special rates for the Events plugin.

Looking at the WPMU DEV Dashboard on the site, the Membership-plugin is not even listed on there...!!!

Please let me know how it goes. We are dead in the water until then.

Thanks again.

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Kathy,

I apologize for the delay in response.

I'm having some difficulties replicating the problems you're having. In order to test this further, I need access to your server so I can download the exact copies of the plugins you have installed and place them on my test site. In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your server?

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Select "I have a different question" from the drop-down box.

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Kathy,

I apologize for the delay.

After doing some testing, it appears that the old Membership Premium plugin is not going to be fully compatible with the most recent version of Events+.

Also, I see you have another thread relating to this issue and my associate, Kasia, gave you the necessary steps for upgrading Membership Premium to the latest version in her reply here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upgrading-from-quite-an-old-version#post-1174594

Please be sure to test the upgrade process on a staging site. As with any major version upgrades such as this, there is a risk of issues.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Kathy

James.

We appear to be going round in circles here.

Part of the reason why boxed responses as provided by Nithin is not going to work in my case, is because the current membership plugin does not even appear in my list of update-able plugins in the WPMU DEV dashboard.

Note how I have updated any of the WPMU plugins yet .Even so now if I activate the Events plugin, keeping the old version of the membership plugin, the site gives a 500-error. Did you change anything, as this was not happening before...???

This has become beyond frustrating for me.

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Kathy,

I understand your frustration. Trying to upgrade a site that has not been properly upgraded in years can be a very trying experience.

The only change I made was to enable debugging, which I have since disabled. This should not cause a 500 Internal Error as it's used to diagnose such errors.

To update Membership Premium, you won't be able to use the WPMU DEV Dashboard because it was created after Membership Premium was phased out. Hence the instructions in Kasia's post. You will have to upgrade incrementally. This will ensure that the changes that were made in the database along the way will be properly inherited.

NOTE: Please test this process on a staging site first.

Since Events+ is not recognizing the old version of Membership Premium, and because there have been many bug fixes and improvements implemented since that plugin was replaced by Membership 2 Pro, it's not advisable to run Membership Premium.

Unfortunately, there's not much that we can do to make Events+ work with that old version of Membership Premium. If you want the functionality of the Membership plugin with Events+, I'm afraid you're going to have to either upgrade to Membership 2 Pro or continue with the old plugins, which is not advisable.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.