Updating Fundraising Plugin Appears to have Broken It

The fundraising plugin isn't working. The plugin was updated and now I'm not able to set fundraising goals, dates, etc.

Is there a way we can fix this?

(Y'all also changed classes inbetween updates which broke our site. Rather frustrating.)

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Can you please confirm the WordPress version and plugin version you are using?

The fundraising plugin isn't working. The plugin was updated and now I'm not able to set fundraising goals, dates, etc.

Can you explain and provide screenshots of what is happening please.

I was just testing and could set and change these on my set up, further details so I can recreate the issue will help us address this.

I was also able to get to the pledges page.

(Y'all also changed classes inbetween updates which broke our site. Rather frustrating.)

Are you updating straight to a live site?

Its advisable for production sites to test updates and changes in a sandbox/staging site before going straight to the main site.

The same for WordPress updates.

This is handy then for testing conflicts as well. The next step of testing here is to disable all plugins and then use the default Twenty Eleven theme. If it works then we need to reactivate each plugin and the theme one by one until the issue happens again. This will point us to where the conflict happens.

Let me know how you get on.

Take care.

• ourWPMU

I am running the latest version of Fundraising (2.1.1) and WordPress (3.4.1).

A project displaying none of the donation related info: http://cl.ly/I8Bs
    And I can't enable any of the donation related info boxes in the Screen Options area

Pledges page displaying the getting started page: http://cl.ly/I8Eu

The site is not currently a live site. Doesn't change the fact that y'all really frustrated me and have created a bunch of extra work by randomly changing class names.

• ourWPMU

Deactivating the theme allowed me to access the pledges page. My theme assigns post categories to the fundraising content type. So when the theme is active the "Categories" taxonomy is added to the fundraising program causing the Pledges link to go to "/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=funder&page=wdf_donations" instead of "/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=donation"

So it looks like your plugin can't handle taxonomies in the Fundraising content type.

Still can't manage any of the fundraising info on a project, new or old, even with the default theme and all plugins de-activated. Also, I have a fundraiser that has $2 donated to it but the donation doesn't show up after I updated the plugin.

• Timothy Bowers

Rather than having the theme adding those why not use CustomPress?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress

This will allow you to add custom taxonomies. Fundraiser is a Custom Post Type, WordPress support custom taxonomies on those.

When you say the site is not currently live is it on some kind of MAMP or XAMPP install locally? I wonder if there is something in the config which is causing this?

If you are concerned about class and function changes then before future updates you might like to run a differential so you can see what was changed.

Thanks.

• ourWPMU

The theme adds them because I built the theme and I prefer to add taxonomies through code than through a plugin. My code is no different than what a plugin would output and allows me greater customization.

It's on a live server, but isn't live in the sense that it is advertised or has visitors.

I shouldn't be concerned about class changes because it's in poor form to rename classes. Changing things from "wdf_progress_info" to "wdf_goal_progress" is just bad form.

The problem is your plugin's navigation breaks when taxonomies are added. While WordPress supports taxonomies added to a content type, and the site I built functions properly with it, your plugin's navigation breaks when custom taxonomies are added to the content type.

Could still use some help being able to edit the donation goals and whatnot of new and existing posts.

• Timothy Bowers

I shouldn't be concerned about class changes because it's in poor form to rename classes. Changing things from "wdf_progress_info" to "wdf_goal_progress" is just bad form.

Code evolves as does the functionality within a class or function. Even if a name didn't change code built upon its previous functionality could still break.

If your expanding on that then you need to run differentials to check your code is still compatible. Of course I will also pass your feed back onto our developer of Fundraising.

Could still use some help being able to edit the donation goals and whatnot of new and existing posts.

Sure I'll ping Cole to see if has seen this recently and if so what ideas he might have.

The problem is your plugin's navigation breaks when taxonomies are added. While WordPress supports taxonomies added to a content type, and the site I built functions properly with it, your plugin's navigation breaks when custom taxonomies are added to the content type.

I just quickly did this on my install with Twenty Eleven but couldn't see an issue, just in case I didn't fully understand can you please provide further screenshots.

Thanks.

• Cole

Hey ourWPMU,

Sorry for the trouble here. I can understand your frustration. The menu problem concerning taxonomies is unfortunate. I've made some changes to the menu system on a working copy I have.

I'll take the criticism concerning the 2 template function names I changed from 1.0 -> 2.0. I thought they were not widely used and I didn't want the naming conventions to fall apart resulting in only confusing anyone looking. Thanks for the input there.

If you don't mind, send an email to cole@incsub.com so I can pass along the menu fix and I'll help get the rest of things working for you.

• Timothy Bowers

I'm sorry you find my posts unhelpful but I was merely trying to assist with general information when to comes upgrading anything for any web based program in which you made your own code for. I have my own sandboxes in which I test upgrades to ensure everything still works. This has saved me hours frustration and just makes sense when working with production websites.

Anyway, now I have Cole here for you good luck with your issue. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• ourWPMU

I understand how the web works. Been a developer for a while. I test my updates as well which is why the site I'm working on isn't live – this isn't a production website.

It's extremely frustrating when developers change classes – it just means more work for me when if they hadn't changed classes or used good naming conventions from the beginning I could save myself a headache and a few hours of my time.

• aecnu

Greetings ourWPMU,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.