Updating Luke and Sara Theme will i loose all changes?

Hi i just saw there was a recent update to the upfront theme, as i have not created any child theme for the upfront theme i just wanted to check if i will loose any of the changes made this far? or not ? and what should be done to ensure that i dont loose them?

Domain: - http://tinyurl.com/plletgb
Support access is open
Thanks

Tom

• Sajid

Hi @Tom,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Luke + Sara it self is a child theme of Upfront framework. It does not store changes in template files like traditional themes, instead it saves all changes, settings and data in database of WordPress.

So, its totally safe to upgrade any of upfront themes whenever there is an update, without fear of losing customizations.

However, its always best practice to create a restore point of your active site before updating any theme or plugin. Always, update one by one and check your site after that to make sure everything is works fine. If you have a staging site that is a big PLUS.

Hope that helps! If you still need assistance, do not hesitate to post a reply.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Sajid J

• Tom

Hi Sajid & Daniel,

Thanks very much for your replies, just out of interest whats a good way to set up the testing environment ? so that there are two copies of the site and i test updates then move them over to live site or do i just create a copy of the live site on a sub domain then make changes to the sub domain copy if their ok then make changes again to live site etc? (although that seems like much wasted time making changes 2 times?) whats the best way?

Thanks

Tom

• Nastia

Hello @Tom, I hope you are well today!

Thank you for your question!

There are several ways to create a test site.

The simplest solution is to create a secondary site in a subfolder of your existing site. You can then set up a new database and duplicate the content from your original database.

The other way is to create a Subdomain and load WP in the root folder of the subdomain. An advantage of this is then you have both installations in a root folder.

You can also install WordPress locally and make the changes there. Instead of uploading your changes to the live site, you can upload them to a staging site on the same server. This is where you can test your changes or use it for all your development. Once you have thoroughly tested your site, you can then upload it to your live site.

(although that seems like much wasted time making changes 2 times?)

You can use a software like FTPloy to transfer changes from your staging site to live site.

In the article bellow you will find useful information on how to create a staging environment for a WordPress site:
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-create-staging-environment-for-a-wordpress-site/

I hope this helps! Let us know if you require any further information :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.