Updating Plugins

Hi,
I just got a notification through Update Notifications to update the domain mapping plugin.
I thought that it was possible to update this plugin automatically, because I entered my API key.
But I can only download an update, my question is, if I download the plugin, can I just remove the original plugin and replace it with the download? If so, does this not affect my current mapped domains? I cannot find any manual on this.

Thank you very much.

Raymond

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

Yep, the plugin has been updated this afternoon hence why update notifications displays the update. It doesn't allow you to auto-update though - the link simply downloads the plugin for you to install manually.

Your current set up won't be affected at all, you just need to overwrite the existing files.

Thanks,
    Phil

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings khunray :slight_smile:

sir not everything is able to be updated via the automatic update.

I just downloaded and ftp'ed the new files to my network over writing the old files with the exception of sunrise.php and everything works flawless and without lose of current maps nor errors :slight_smile:

I did not over write sunrise.php because I am also using mutli domains and do not want to take the chance of messing things up.

Otherwise this worked and works flawlessly.

Joe :slight_smile:

• khunray
    • New Recruit

Thanks for your help guys, I just downloaded the plugin and uploaded it to my plugins with ftp but after I clicked to network activate it I got the following error : Fatal error: Cannot redeclare set_domainmap_dir() (previously declared in /home/rayvberk/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/domain-mapping.php:693) in /home/rayvberk/public_html/wp-content/plugins/domain-mapping/domain-mapping.php on line 877
    I uninstalled the plugin and try to reinstall it but got this same error, I think it is like Joe says the sunrise file that I didn't take out.

Do you have any suggestions what I could do next?

Raymond

• khunray
    • New Recruit

I resolved it, I read through the install instructions again and noticed that I had uploaded the file wrong, to the plugins instead of the MU folder. My mistake, I assumed it was the same as installing some other plugins.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings khunray :slight_smile:

yes sir this is why some of the plugins cannot be automatically updated is they usually have a little different way of installing them i.e. different folders etc. - which cannot be included in the automated upgrade.

This is where paying close attention to detail and the instructions come in to play :slight_smile:

Happy to hear that you got it figured out :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.