Updating Themes and Plugins

Hi. I know that some of the themes and plugins I take from reputed sellers can be updated in themes or plugins menu. I would like to know how to update them manually with FTP?

I have new theme files which I want to use in place of my outdated one.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey gositer,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Updating plugins and themes via FTP is as simple as copying and overwriting new files over existing ones.
    In your WP installation folder you will see wp-content folder which holds plugins and themes folder so all you need to do is go to one of them and replace the files.

I do have suggestion that I like to use, let's say that you have theme called AwesomeTheme that you want to update, download the new theme to your PC and rename the folder to something like AwesomeTheme_New.
    Now go to wp-content/themes/ folder via FTP and upload your AwesomeTheme_New folder there.
    You will now have AwesomeTheme_New and AwesomeTheme folders in there.
    Now rename AwesomeTheme to AwesomeTheme_Old and rename AwesomeTheme_New to AwesomeTheme.

This way your theme will not be active only for few seconds while you make the name change while overwriting directly can cause longer "downtime" while files are being uploaded.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.