Updating to WordPress 3.4

Folks it's here! Hurray!

At WPMU DEV our commitment is to making sure our products are up to date and ready for compatibility with the latest WordPress releases within 24 hours.

Well, it's out now. What does that mean for you?

As always, a good backup is recommended. This upgrade should be an easy/smooth process, but there's no reason to risk it. If you're not sure how to backup your database, here's some good info:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Backing_Up_Your_Database

One of the coolest new features is the Theme Customizer (with live preview). Learn more about it here:
http://ottopress.com/2012/how-to-leverage-the-theme-customizer-in-your-own-themes/

Do you need to upgrade right now?
Running the latest version of WordPress is always recommended. However, with point releases such as this there's wisdom in waiting a week or two so that any previously unseen bugs are caught and squashed.

New features are great, but if this isn't your own, personal site (ie. a client) you want to ensure they have the best experience possible - and that can mean waiting around to see if any new bugs are reported. There can be wisdom in waiting till 3.4.1.

Other than that check it out. Here's the highlights and full details from the codex:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_3.4

What are you most excited about? Thanks!

• David
    • The Crimson Coder

Shouldn't be. The customizer contains hooks for themes to use, in order to do the real-time customization. But if those hooks aren't in a theme, the theme will run just as it always did, usually using whatever customization interface the theme developer gave it.

The benefit of the customizer (to some degree) is that it allows you to (a) see what your theme would look like when tweaked, without changing the production version, and (b) have a consistent, if minimal customization interface for basics like font and color.

It's weak in areas like custom fields and deep customizations, but those things will probably always require some sort of admin panel.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

I'm looking forward to playing with the Theme Customizer; it reminds me of the drupal Customizer. Would be nice if it really gets into details. Passed up a lot of good WP themes because they were astatically limited. “Is astatically even a word?” Give the update about a week before I dive in.

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Has anyone here actually updated to WP 3.4?

I ask because one of my plugin developer friends emailed me to let me know to wait. He says that it is causing problems for some people because jQuery is not being called first like it was in the older versions of WP. His solution is to have each of his plugins call jQuery and he's reprogramming them right now until WP 3.4.1 is released (which he claims is supposed to remedy this).

Personally, I see a problem with this because you might find yourself calling jQuery multiple times - which as I understand it can really create headaches for you (especially if you are calling different versions).

Would it not be simpler to just go in the core and add the line at the start to Enqueue the jQuery library and then remove it if it calls it later?

So far, I've not upgraded because I've been sick the past couple of days (that's why I've not been here much). Maybe some of our more advanced developers can shed some light here.

Thanks.

JDD

• kyleb
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I updated this morning on a large multisite network with over 30 active plugins, no problems at all with the update I'm happy to say!

I love the new theme switcher!

I've also upgraded on 12 other sites with varrying results, mostly problems with old plugins that needed to replaced or updated anyway.

I havnt experienced jquery issuses at all with wp, but I would assume you could easity edit the functions or your header to call jquery first.

• kyleb
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I spoke to soon, 3.4 breaks your easy blogging plugin!

http://www.oursuccesscenter.com/testkyle/wp-admin/%3Cbr%20/%3E%3Cb%3EWarning%3C/b%3E:%20%20preg_replace()%20%3Ca%20href='function.preg-replace'%3Efunction.preg-replace%3C/a%3E]:%20No%20ending%20delimiter%20'/'%20found%20in%20%3Cb%3E/home/mybigdream/oursuccesscenter.com/wp-content/plugins/easyblogging/lib/wdeb_callbacks.php%3C/b%3E%20on%20line%20%3Cb%3E32%3C/b%3E%3Cbr%20/%3Epost-new.php?post_type=page

• sccr410
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Me too, sideline here. I upgraded one client site and things went crazy because of the jQuery issue. For some reason they decided to make jQuery load last, so all other plugins that require jQuery for their custom JavaScript no longer work.

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

O.K> so that confirms it - they are loading jQuery LAST.

Now, back to my previous question, can't we just modify the core to Enqueue it at the first (and then delete where it enqueues it at the last? Or does that present its own set of issues?

Thanks for any feedback.

JDD

• Kerry
    • Recruit

I am most excited about WP always getting better (less a few minor bugs along the way).

I am looking forward to the Twitter stuff and just having things generally organized to have a better and faster workflow for me in the admin area.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.