Updating to wordpress 4.6 causing email issue

Hey Guys!

for a week or so now ive been having some trouble with one ( & only one ) of my sites,
when i update to wordpress 4.6 the emails being sent by the system
are suddenly being treated as a phishing attempt by the servers email server.
The domain in question uses an external email server. the two copies i have of the site work fine, but they use their own accounts email address,
ie Main site pacificnail.com.au <- info@pacificnail.com.au - email handled externally
& dev site dev.pacificnail.com.au < info@dev.pacificnail.com.au - local email server.
the email provider and i have been working closely on this one, however their server is not causing the issue, nor getting any data from my site. basicly implying the email host is not the cause of the problem.
I have had to roll back because the site is live. tonight weve updated all plugins and themes, checked the database for bad links, and taken a copy of the site,
at that point i know everything was current and email was working, so i tried updating again and still have the same problem ( emails being treated as a phishing attempt )
the email im receiving seems to be coming from the local server and not the external server.
the local server ( oceaniawebhosting.com.au ) is a good commercial host running whm & cpanel.
it would seem like the external mail problem is the issue, as im not having the problem on any other sites, but as i said the it is the local email server thats rejecting the emails being sent from wordpress , not the external server.

this problem has been driving me crazy and i am quickly running out of hair to pull out!
Have you guys come across this issue?
any help or advice would be greatly apreciated!

Regards Luke Hands

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Luke,

Have you guys come across this issue?

No, I'm sorry but it looks like your problem described in that thread is first one.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly how is configured your site and mail server - but do you send emails directly from WordPress and you do not use any SMTP plugin?
    Did you try to compare those emails send from new and old version of the WordPress to see if there is significant difference that could be causing this problem?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Luke

hey Kasia,
    ty for your quick response!
    as i understand we are using the standard wp_mail() function, i havent set up any smtp plugins yet,
    the email data seems to come through ok, but instead of being sent to the intended recipient, gets sent to the cpanel account holder as a " phishing attempt ".
    this is the contents of a recover password email that should have been sent to me ( lordmerliz@gmail.com, but went to the cpanel account holders email account. info@pacificnail.com.au

-----Original Message-----
    From: Mail Delivery System [mailto:Mailer-Daemon@southern.oceania.com.au]
    Sent: Wednesday, 24 August 2016 8:12 PM
    To: Info
    Subject: Mail failure - rejected by local scanning code

A message that you sent was rejected by the local scanning code that checks incoming messages on this system. The following error was given:

"PHISHING attempt trying to send email as info@pacificnail.com.au"

------ This is a copy of your message, including all the headers. ------

Received: from pacificn by southern.oceania.com.au with local (Exim 4.87)
    (envelope-from <info@pacificnail.com.au>:wink:
    id 1bcVAb-002iF9-8L
    for dylanprior@hotmail.com; Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:12:29 +1000
    To: dylanprior@hotmail.com
    Subject: Password Reset for Pacific Nail and Beauty
    Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 10:12:29 +0000
    Message-ID: <b3eb9de3b00af557fb784b37b24c4a07@pacificnail.com.au>
    X-Mailer: PHPMailer 5.2.14 (https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer)
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html dir="ltr">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> <title>Pacific Nail and Beauty</title> </head> <body leftmargin="0" marginwidth="0" topmargin="0" marginheight="0" offset="0">
    <div id="wrapper" dir="ltr" style="background-color: #f5f5f5; margin: 0; padding: 70px 0 70px 0; -webkit-text-size-adjust: none !important; width: 100%;">
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tr> <td align="center" valign="top">
    <div id="template_header_image">
    </div>
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600" id="template_container" style="box-shadow: 0 1px 4px rgba(0,0,0,0.1) !important; background-color: #fdfdfd; border: 1px solid #dcdcdc; border-radius: 3px !important;"> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">
    <!-- Header -->
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600" id="template_header" style='background-color: #557da1; border-radius: 3px 3px 0 0 !important; color: #ffffff; border-bottom: 0; font-weight: bold; line-height: 100%; vertical-align: middle; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif;'><tr> <td id="header_wrapper" style="padding: 36px 48px; display: block;">
    <h1 style='color: #ffffff; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 30px; font-weight: 300; line-height: 150%; margin: 0; text-align: left; text-shadow: 0 1px 0 #7797b4; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;'>Password Reset Instructions</h1>
    </td>
    </tr></table>
    <!-- End Header -->
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align="center" valign="top">
    <!-- Body -->
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600" id="template_body"><tr> <td valign="top" id="body_content" style="background-color: #fdfdfd;">
    <!-- Content -->
    <table border="0" cellpadding="20" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr> <td valign="top" style="padding: 48px;">
    <div id="body_content_inner" style='color: #737373; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 150%; text-align: left;'>

<p style="margin: 0 0 16px;">Someone requested that the password be reset for the following account:</p> <p style="margin: 0 0 16px;">Username: dylan</p> <p style="margin: 0 0 16px;">If this was a mistake, just ignore this email and nothing will happen.</p> <p style="margin: 0 0 16px;">To reset your password, visit the following address:</p> <p style="margin: 0 0 16px;">

Click here to reset your password
    </p> <p style="margin: 0 0 16px;"></p>

</div>
    </td>
    </tr></table>
    <!-- End Content -->
    </td>
    </tr></table>
    <!-- End Body -->
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align="center" valign="top">
    <!-- Footer -->
    <table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="600" id="template_footer"><tr> <td valign="top" style="padding: 0; -webkit-border-radius: 6px;">
    <table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr> <td colspan="2" valign="middle" id="credit" style="padding: 0 48px 48px 48px; -webkit-border-radius: 6px; border: 0; color: #99b1c7; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; line-height: 125%; text-align: center;">
    <p>Pacific Nail and Beauty –</p>
    </td>
    </tr></table>
    </td>
    </tr></table>
    <!-- End Footer -->
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </td>
    </tr></table>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

the same email sent from pre wordpress 4.6 sends this to me lordmerliz@gmail.com

Password Reset Instructions

Someone requested that the password be reset for the following account:

Username: customer_luke

If this was a mistake, just ignore this email and nothing will happen.

To reset your password, visit the following address:

Click here to reset your password

Pacific Nail and Beauty –

again i really apreciate your help on this.

Luke Hands

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.