Updating to WP 3.1.4 , without troubles?

Hello,

I had this kind of thread few days ago, but that was totally different situation:

Some plug-ins require to be installed in unordinary way - some files to wp-admin, some files to wp-content and so on. So, whereas I updated WordPress to 3.1.3 manually (by just dropping wp-admin, wp-includes folders to ftp), now I have some files in these folders and can't just overwrite them..

I have tried to copy files from these folders and paste in related directories (filezilla offered me to overwrite existing files/folders and I clicked yes of course, because in this way necessary files wouldn't be deleted), and everything is done right now, but filezilla failed to upload some files (3, or 4) and I have uploaded them manually.

System works, but in some places it shows me errors, related to those files, which I have uploaded manually, for example - wp-includes/functions.php when I saw this error, I re-uploaded this file but error didn't disappear (see the screenshot).

So, I have backup of whole system (before I started updating), so if I had made any mistake there isn't big problem, but if it is possible just to correct them, it's much more better of course.

Tell me what to do, please.

Thank you very much.

Kote

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi
    Which plugins required you to add files to wp-admin? Can you make a list of those so you know what files you need to replace.

I tend to replace everything with the fresh files, via FTP, *except* for the wp-content directory (leave that out of the upload completely) which holds all your plugins/themes/sunrise/multidb files and haven't had many issues (yet).

• kshengelia
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello,

I haven't touched wp-content folder, I know that it's restricted :smiley: :slight_smile:

So, I am using plug-ins which require some files to be in wp-admin, these plug-ins are:

Supporter, Communities and.. and I don't remind more...

I can't find out which files are added because of plugins and which are standard wp-admin files.. But I can show you list which I plug-ins I use and you will understand everything (because you know which plug-ins require some files to be installed in wp-admin)

• kshengelia

You should be able to just overwrite the whole wpadmin folder. It will leave y extra files there.
    If that doesn't work perhaps you have locked down permissions on some file

I have re-uploaded both folders (everything uploaded without trouble). I haven't changed any permissions on any files, confused :slight_frown:

I know that wordpress will have different, higher requirements from version 3.2 but now it's only 3.1.4.

Only thing I know is true is that this problem started after I updated wp-admin and wp-includes folder (manual updating of wordpress).

• kshengelia

Hello once again,

I haven't resolved the problem yet and I don't know what to do.

But I have got more info today:

The main panel shows me two messages, one is that I am using WordPress 3.1.4, second is an ask to update wordpress version to 3.1.4

So, something's wrong here, maybe while updating manually, I have made a mistake or something?

1 notification is in footer, right side (Get version 3.1.4) and two notifications are here:

• Jonathan

Did you upload the files found in the actual wordpress folder?

Wordpress/wp-includes/ done
    Wordpress/wp-admin/ done
    Wordpress/wp-content/ ignore
    Wordpress/index.php ???
    Wordpress/license.txt ???
    Wordpress/readme.html ???
    Wordpress/wp-activate.php ???
    Wordpress/wp-app.php ???
    etc etc
    Wordpress/xmlrpc.php ???

Those loose files also have to be uploaded :slight_smile:

Jonathan

• kshengelia

One more thing to take in account:

I have just watched the tutorial and saw, that while uploading manually files with filezilla to public_html, I need to choose options like on screenshot, but I only choosed "Always use this action", nothing more.

I am on wireless internet now, so it will take much time to do update like this, but if you tell me that this is worth, I'll do of course (and if you tell me that the errors listed above is caused by wrong updating, I'll update again).

Thank you !

• kshengelia

Did you upload the files found in the actual wordpress folder?
    Wordpress/wp-includes/ done
    Wordpress/wp-admin/ done
    Wordpress/wp-content/ ignore
    Wordpress/index.php ???
    Wordpress/license.txt ???
    Wordpress/readme.html ???
    Wordpress/wp-activate.php ???
    etc etc
    Wordpress/xmlrpc.php ???
    Those loose files also have to be uploaded :slight_smile:
    Jonathan

So I'll tell you - I have uploaded everything from wordpress folder except "wp-content" folder, BUT BUT BUT - as I am on wireless, slow network, filezilla failed to upload bit bigger files (like "class-simplepie.php"), there were about 3-5 files failed to be uploaded, so I uploaded them manually, but functions.php (which I get errors about) wasn't in failed files list..

Maybe my post above says what real problem is?

Thank you!

• Jonathan

I use overwrite, and select always use this action - saves time :slight_smile:

So no that isn't a problem. What bugs me is your screenshot up at the top, the fopen fclose and it lists a plugin / forums / which is looking for something in the functions file.

Forgive me its really late here by me and off to bed soon. But you seem to have a

1) plugin conflict with the latest wordpress install.
    or
    2) your upgraded files haven't been uploaded correctly (it happens, slow connections time out)
    3) still think about 3 - laugh.

Jonathan

• Jonathan

I would try uploading functions.php again. or at least checking if it exists... ftp and slow connections can cause issues. I live in a 3rd world country and have very unreliable internet speeds. Don't even get me started on ssh and internet line dropping connections - laugh.

Off to bed, hope it was a ftp upload problem.
    Here is some wordpress updating info.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Updating_WordPress

Jonathan

• kshengelia

So, have to select thread as non-resolved again.

I have updated WordPress manually according to documentation and at first it looked fine, but now it's same error, only "Right Now" widget (in admin panel) sees that I'm using WordPress 3.1.4, top announcement says that WordPress 3.1.4 is available and I have to update it and footer says only following: "Get version 3.1.4".

So.. this problem already took much time :slight_frown:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.