updating wordpress plugins causes "server 500" error

Hi gurus, I just tried updating WordPress & plugins on my test site and it generated a Server 500 error. Not sure how to proceed.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello emilio_gagliardi

That means there is a plugin which is generating an error. We need to see the error.

Would you please enable debug mode and check if there is any error? To enable debug mode please go to wp-config.php and change

define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );

to

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

Now refresh the page to regenerate that 500 error. That will create a file called debug.log inside wp-content folder. Open that file, check the very bottom and you will see the latest errors. Please send me those.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• emilio_gagliardi
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thank you for replying.
    I figured out how to access the files. It would be helpful for new users to make that workflow more obvious when you log into your hosting account.
    Accessing files is obviously important and I spent a bunch of time clicking around the UI looking for the 'File Manager'. Just have a few first-time login messages or a guided onboarding sequence and make it clear that we need to create an SFTP user because there is no built-in file management functionality, so we are required to use our favourite FTP application to access the files.
    Just my 0.02

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.