Updating Wordpress to 3.3.2

Good day everyone.

As this is my first WP update since beginning to work with a MultiSite installation, I am trying to find the "sticky" describing the manual steps to update the WP installation as I know that it's a bit dangerous to use the auto-update function in WP. Can anyone point me to that sticky so I can take care of this process?

Secondly, does anyone know of a plugin that will disable the auto-update function of WP in the dashboard? I'm thinking of installing that plugin (if it exists) on all my client sites as well.

Finally, should I update the theme framework and plugins manually or would they be O.K. to update automatically?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JDD

• Timothy Bowers

know that it's a bit dangerous to use the auto-update function in WP.

Its not dangerous as such, the issue comes if there is a drop in connection/server whilst performing the update. Sometimes the site can stick in Maintenance mode but its not so hard to correct.

Secondly, does anyone know of a plugin that will disable the auto-update function of WP in the dashboard? I'm thinking of installing that plugin (if it exists) on all my client sites as well.

It will only update if you click and tell it to. Only Network Admins can do that as well, so your site owners cannot. Was that the worry you had?

Or was it the message which bothered you?

Finally, should I update the theme framework and plugins manually or would they be O.K. to update automatically?

FTP ensure you see and know what is happening, it gives you more control in that sense. It ensures you know all the previous files are removed and the fresh ones uploaded.

It can carry some the same issue as auto update as in FTP connections can also drop as well.

Anyway, there is more information on the following link for manual updates and failed auto updates:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Updating_WordPress#Manual_Update

Take care.

• James Dunn

Thanks Timothy.

As far as wanting the update notification AND the ability gone/hidden - I was referring more to single site installs rather than the MultiSite install. Yes, I am aware that with MultiSite only Network Admins can update things.

I know that Joe (AECNU) is adamant about installing/updating through FTP rather than the WP Dashboard and after an issue that I had a couple of weeks ago, I can see why. This MultiSite installed about three plugins through the WP installer and gave them an owner of NoOne. Then, guess what? NoOne could access them either to use them, update them, delete them, or anything else - through WP or FTP. It was a hairy mess that my server engineer just had to go in and delete the directories off the server so I could get back to work. I'm still working through a few bugs from that incident, so I'm now a firm believer of trying to always install through FTP.

Thanks again for the input.

JDD

• Timothy Bowers

I know that Joe (AECNU) is adamant about installing/updating through FTP rather than the WP Dashboard and after an issue that I had a couple of weeks ago, I can see why. This MultiSite installed about three plugins through the WP installer and gave them an owner of NoOne. Then, guess what? NoOne could access them either to use them, update them, delete them, or anything else - through WP or FTP.

Absolutely it can be a nightmare. When ownership is removed then only the server admin can sort that out.

I have seen this happen on a clients site before when using FTP also. I'm still not entirely show how they managed it. lol.

Where these the plugins you refer to:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/disable-wordpress-plugin-updates/

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/disable-wordpress-core-update/

Take care.

• James Dunn

Hey Timothy.

I've seen those two plugins, but I actually use a plugin that allows me to disable the update notifications for specific users rather than ALL users. That way, I still get the notifications as the sites admin, but none of the other users ever see the notifications. I'm just actually afraid that someone is going to try to update something somehow without me knowing and then royally screw things up for me. Call me paranoid, but "just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me." <SMILE> (Sorry, that's an old Far Side cartoon).

I'm still looking and I actually may talk to the friend that wrote the plugin I use to see if he'd like that add that functionality to it. Seriously, maybe I'm overly concerned, but that's usually a good thing. But, then again, "you can't make something foolproof, because fools are so ingenious."

Have a great evening.

JDD

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.