Upfront and marketpress

Hi there folks :slight_smile:

I've created a multisite and am using upfront for the main site. I don't quite understand, but all revisions are saved in upfront, they just do not translate to the actual page. Only some revisions load whilst others do not.
I was also wondering if I can edit marketpress pages with upfront?
Finally I wanted to create an accordion and I want to center the text but it isn't working. Have used:
{
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
}

is that not possible?

thanks in advance
Linda

• Dimitris

Hey there Linda,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

I don't quite understand, but all revisions are saved in upfront, they just do not translate to the actual page. Only some revisions load whilst others do not.

I just accessed your website after you kindly granted support access for us, and I was able to activate Upfront editor (/?editmode=true) and inserted a dummy Text element with a "My awesome stub content goes here... ".
    Upfront editor was able to save changes successfully as you can see.
    Could you please describe to us the exact steps you're making and the changes you don't see after saving Upfront editor? Please advise!

I was also wondering if I can edit marketpress pages with upfront?

MarketPress blocks can't be edited via Upfront Editor as they display some dummy content when Upfront is activated, rather than the actual content of your website.
    We can always use some extra CSS rules though, in order to style these sections as you wish.
    Let me know if further assistance is required on this!

Finally I wanted to create an accordion and I want to center the text but it isn't working.

You can try adding

.accordion-panel-content {
        text-align: center;
    }

in elements preset custom CSS section as shown below, this should do the trick!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Linda

Hi there Dimitris :slight_smile:

Thanks a mil for the css ref :slight_smile:
    To be honest with you I don't quite know what was going on with upfront...when in upfront everything updated just fine and I could see the changes no problem, but when I went out of upfront back to the normal WordPress dashboard and tried to view the changes, by going to 'view site' only some of the changes were there. I think I've found the problem though...I network deactivated upfront and activated it from the site dashboard and I think that has resolved the issue.

Market press
    what I am REALLY desperate for is a way to edit the text on buy buttons etc because I've tried for days to translate woocommerce for a friend of mine and it just doesn't work because I am from the Faroe Islands so a really obscure and remote place which wordpress doesn't support the language of. None the less sites look and feel really unprofessional because half of it is maybe in english and half e.g. in danish. I have poedit pro and unfortunately it doesn't work, so I was thinking the best way to work around it is to either use a front end editor or some sort of plugin which allows me to modify the html of the site easily. Might you have any suggestions? and since I'm at it I've read here on WPMUDEV, that there is a marketpress theme in the making? any eta?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

regards
    Linda

• Dimitris

Hello Linda,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I'm glad you've sorted out the UF issue. Please keep us posted if this comes back again and try to get some replication steps for us.

As for MarketPress, this is totally translatable.
    You can either follow the instructions from our documentation page here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/wpmu-dev-translations/
    and grab any already translated strings from our Translation center here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/translate/projects/

or, use Ultimate Branding and the "Text Replace" module to translate strings. Keep in mind to use the "mp" text domain for your translated strings, so only MarketPress strings will be translated.

Hope that was some help, let us know if further assistance is required here!
    Take care,
    Dimitris

• Linda

Hi there Dimitris :slight_smile:
    Your advise on using the Ultimate branding plugin is nothing short of phenomenal :slight_smile: so happy about this and evidently am translating my little heart out...can't believe it, it's that cool :slight_smile: But how do I make sure I don't lose my customizations, e.g. when wordpress or the branding plugin is updated? and I've heard that caching can erase certain details, so how do I make sure I hang on to all of my work?

thanks in advance
    Linda

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello, Linda!

Text changes made with Ultimate Branding are stored in the database so update to the theme or other files won't make them go away unless some changed/translated texts are removed entirely or changed.

For example, if you use Ultimate Branding to translate "Buy now" string in MarketPress, that will last as long as Ultimate Branding is active. If "Buy now" gets replaced with for example "Shop now" in MarketPress, you will need to adjust that change in Ultimate Branding but it's highly unlikely that this would happen :slight_smile:

Best regard,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello, Linda!

I'm not sure if you're referring to the Ultimate Branding now :slight_smile: If you do, then the same applies but please note that in this case Ultimate Branding may not be able to help you with "everything" because Upfront is quite a specific theme and it's very different, in terms of code and structure, than any other WordPress theme.

However, if it comes to Upfront itself:

- Upfront is a parent theme and Parrot (as well as other "starting themes") is its child theme
    - If you customize Parrot using Upfront editor ("Upfront" link on admin toolbar or "Appearance -> Customize" menu), it will stay customized even if you disabled it
    - if you then enable it back it will pick up your customization

Best regards,
    Adam

• Linda

hehe got a bit excited because I saw all my wordpress dreams coming true with Upfront and the ultimate branding plugin combined :slight_smile: :slight_smile: thanks a mil for confirming that updates will stay where they are ...now for my ABSOLUTE last question (I promise!!!) I have hummingbird, humming away in the background, giving me super speed, but I am not able to place the piece of code for caching in my nginx server. My host (I use Digital Ocean and ServerPilot) have advised me not to fiddle with the nginx configuration and I was wondering if there is a work-around? something else I can do to make it all work? I've activated cloudflare, but I am guessing that is not enough? :slight_smile:

regard
    Linda

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello, Linda!

I must admit that I'm not nginx expert. Instructions gave in Hummingbird seem to be pretty clear and if applied carefully, shouldn't cause any issues but I can understand that you're afraid of "messing up" with it, especially after you host suggested not to touch nginx config :slight_smile:

However, if you got CloudFlare implemented, it should already be applying "browser caching". It'd be on a "cloudflare -> end user" line only and on "your site -> cloudflare" line content wouldn't be cached but on the other hand that actually doesn't make much of a difference in that case :slight_smile:

If there wasn't CloudFlare in front of the site, I'd strongly recommend giving Hummingbird caching a try but I think in this case you may skip it. I think however that some "full site" caching would do good to your site: W3 Total Cache, WP Super Cache, WP Batcache - one of these plugins would make a nice addition to the Hummingbird and CloudFlare. Just note please: if you dedice to install any of them, make sure that in its options you got any minification settings switched off (so only Hummingbird would perform it).

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Linda,

Are you referring to WPMU DEV Translation page here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/translate/projects/mp/fo/default/

If, so then what you need to do is export both .po and .mo files from that page, see this screenshot:

Now you need to place those two files on your server inside wp-content/languages/plugins/ folder and when you select Faroese language as your WP language in Settings > General the plugin will be translated as well.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Linda

Hi there Predrag

thanks a lot for getting back to me on that. I was fearing that you were going to tell me I need to use the po and mo files. My problem being I have an i18 folder but no language folders anywhere to be found and my problem being...are the language folders meant to go into the i18 folder and then I place the plugin folder into it? Or do I create a language folder inside the 'plugins folder' and place both mo and po files into the language folder without them being particularly related to one plugin? and my config file makes absolutely no mention of where I am meant to plot in the wp lang string, so I am very much lost. Unfortunately it's not possible to choose Faroese on WP, but Dmitris from support let me know that I could just use danish for translating WPMUDEV so I guess I just choose danish as my official language on wordpress too?

could you please set me on the right path?

thanks in advance
    Linda

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Linda,

Let me explain a bit more how translation files work in WP.
    There's no need to make any changes to plugin files as the plugins and themes that are translation ready have translatable strings in code and those are the strings that are included in .po and .mo files.

What happens when you place translation files in languages folder is that it uses the translatable string with the one from translation files.

Now, how the WP works is that it searches languages folder for translation files based on the language selected in your WP installation.
    For example, if you select Deutsch in WP settings it will search for pluginname-de_DE.po/mo file and if you select Danish language it will search for pluginname-da_DK.po/mo.
    Basically, the language inside translation file is not important, what's important for WP is the name of translation file.
    What that means is that you can select Danish as your WP language but in your languages/plugins folder place mp-da_DK.po and mp-da_DK.mo files with your desired translations in them.

If you don't have languages folder that's probably because you still have English selected as your WP language, what you can do is either create the folder yourself or switch WP language and that will create languages folder for you.

Once you have languages folder created you need to create new folder inside it and name it plugins and in that folder place your translation files.

Hope this cleared some things up and that I didn't confuse you :slight_smile:

Let us know if something is unclear here.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.