Upfront Barebones/blank Child Theme (Update? and framework relation?)

Hello, I know this has been posted about a lot in the past, but I cant seem to be able to sort topics based on the date they were posted. This is making it quite difficult to find current standings on the topic. It would be amazing if there was a method I didn't see yet, to sort topics by date to get current info.

I understand the method of creating a blank child theme, and don't mind doing it this way at all. Was just looking for some info on it that wasn't at least months old.

PS:
Also I have noticed talk of WP frameworks that can increase productivity, (ex. WhiteBoard)... Would Upfront be a good option for me as a "framework" building small business sites with custom Upfront child themes? Or would I be better of just finding a good reliable framework and not trying to workaround Upfront... Am I out of place even considering Upfront to be like a framework in any way?

I would like to note quickly because I know this has gotten long, that I love WPMUDEV and all of its combined resources make it worthwhile even without using Upfront at all. Hell the blog itself is worth 50 bucks a month... Excuse my language but anyone reading this I want to emphasize the value of knowledge in the blog here! Thanks so much for reading, looking forward to replies :slight_smile:

• Nithin

Hi Tyson,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Yes, we are aware that the current search filters in our forums are not that accurate, developers are working on it, so that it would improve our search queries in our forums.

I understand the method of creating a blank child theme, and don't mind doing it this way at all. Was just looking for some info on it that wasn't at least months old.

Upfront doesn't behave like the default WordPress theme. Upfront has it's own unique framework, and a Drag & Drop API to begin with, hence the theme might not work well as expected when creating a child theme, the default WP way.

All the support threads related to child themes, were more of a test made by the members, and these theme did have issues when it come to rendering certain files. At the moment, I'm afraid, there isn't any official documentation regrading creating a child theme for Upfront. Customizing the existing themes would be the better alternative at this moment.

However the good news is, there is an Upfront Theme Builder down the release cycle, with which you can create your own theme from scratch, or extend our existing themes with ease. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact ETA on when this will be released, our developers are working on this, and all our resources are devoted on getting this right. We truly appreciate your patience regarding this.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Tyson

Thats awesome, thanks so much for the response! I am very excited to see this theme builder, and it seems from others experiences in the past you guys do a GREAT job at doing things right...

I know this probably isn't the place for asking personal opinion, but since you have read my whole inquiry:
    - In your opinion, do you think Upfront is a tool to be used to build client websites for profit, by reducing development time & cost (plugins/premium themes etc.)?
    - Or would you say its a tool geared to help increase personal productivity, for an individual consumer of the WPMUDEV Membership?
    Both is also a very viable answer, but which do you think its "more" accurate. If both is TRULY the case, then hooray!! But I just haven't seen a lot of opinion on this.

• Rupok

Hi Tyson, I hope you are having a wonderful day.

I just read the whole thread. Let me discuss regarding your queries:

- In your opinion, do you think Upfront is a tool to be used to build client websites for profit, by reducing development time & cost (plugins/premium themes etc.)?

I personally think you can use Upfront to build client websites because this is the most flexible theme framework where you can create the full site just by dragging and dropping elements. But please note, this totally depends on the requirement of your clients. If your client asks for very complex functionality, then you might need to create themes from scratch. But for *most* of the sites, you can use Upfront.

- Or would you say its a tool geared to help increase personal productivity, for an individual consumer of the WPMUDEV Membership?

"Yes" for this one also. For example, if someone doesn't know programming, but wants to develop his own site, Upfront is a very good tool to start with. When he can easily creates sites for him by just dragging and dropping elements, he will be more confident and his personal productivity will surely increase.

If you want to discuss about these with all our members, I can move your thread to our Members' Forum. There our other members will be able to share their thinking and ideas regarding this. Please confirm if you want me to move this thread.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.