Upfront BG Video not Working with Latest Update

I rely on Upfront for a variety of full-screen background videos on my company website, background videos which are often broken by updates to Upfront.

Even with Hummingbird minification disabled, I am getting the following JS error in the console and only on the pages that use video:

VM7894:50 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'match' of undefined
    at HTMLDivElement.eval (eval at <anonymous> (0266a.js:2), <anonymous>:50:335)
    at Function.each (0266a.js:2)
    at a.fn.init.each (0266a.js:2)
    at HTMLDivElement.eval (eval at <anonymous> (0266a.js:2), <anonymous>:50:54)
    at Function.each (0266a.js:2)
    at a.fn.init.each (0266a.js:2)
    at update_background (eval at <anonymous> (0266a.js:2), <anonymous>:40:172)
    at HTMLDocument.eval (eval at <anonymous> (0266a.js:2), <anonymous>:51:1)
    at i (0266a.js:2)
    at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (0266a.js:2)

With the last upgrade, I had to update all of the background videos in Upfront to let it know that I was using a service instead of an upload (a great idea, by the by). Now, I am faced with this error which references only jQuery. I defer to your expertise since you likely have a better idea of what was changed regarding video in Upfront during this last update.

Yoy can experiment with the following page:
https://betterbetterbetter.org/dear-business-owner/?w3tc_note=flush_all
(Note that W3TC is still enabled.)

Thanks,
Jeremy

(PS. I couldn't select Upfront as the topic of this post: the support ticket only provided a small sample of the WPMU plugins/themes used on the site.)

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jeremy,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I have reviewed your site and I can see also that error in console (along with the other one reported by Firefox console). I'm not sure though whether it is relevant or not.

I noticed that you site is quite far customized, including some custom JS codes and I think an essential step would be to temporarily "strip it down" to a bare Upfront to see how that performs.

That would mean disabling all the plugins on site, including all custom JS and CSS snippets but also other plugins and then checking the site after clearing browser's cache. That would show if it's a "core" issue (therefore either related to Upfront core code or to server/site config) or if it's caused by any other plugin and/or custom JS.

If with "bare" site it works fine, then the plugins should be activated back "one by one" until it breaks again and it should reveal the culprit. Regardless whether it would show that there's a conflict with other plugin/code or not, that would narrow down options significantly.

Could you please run such tests? I understand that this is a live site though so in case it wasn't possible, setting up a staging site (a "one to one" copy on the very same server/hosting account) would let you test it safely and then we could access it and work on it without affecting your live site.

Looking forward to your replay,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.