Upfront Builder and Pro Sites/Multiste

Hello,

I am a huge fan of Upfront Builder, so much so that I am currently developing both a WordPress Multisite for upfront theme designers and a multi-vendor dedicated marketplace for designers who use upfront builder.

I understand from previous questions I have raised that I am allowed to develop my marketplace to sell Upfront Builder based themes, However, I am curious if I can sell access to Upfront Builder from within a pro site model?

My concept is to create an environment where I can offer each of my pro site members the ability to create their own themes from scratch live on the subsite they purchase as my pro site customer.

They could then apply to sell the themes they create on my companion marketplace site. The marketplace is a dedicated upfront theme marketplace. The pro site is a dedicated pro site for the theme designers of the marketplace.

Using the Upfront Builder and creating themes live on my network with the ability to go live as a demo/showcase and ultimately apply to sell themes for generous commission on my vendor platform is the core model of the pro site/companion marketplace solution I am considering.

I think that this type of multisite community that has a dedicated focus on Upfront would help spread awareness of this new way of building themes and also help me gather upfront theme designers into one dedicated place so they could apply to sell upfront based themes on my marketplace.

Does this concept fall within the allowed parameters of my wpmudev membership?

I can see that I can include Upfront Builder as a premium plugin option from within pro sites modules, and I also see that wpmudev has listed upfront as multisite compatible? this has led me to believe that I can potentially offer upfront builder as a level upgrade.

One issue I have encountered is that anyone on a multisite with admin access to Upfront Builder also has access to ANY themes created with the upfront builder on the entire multisite.(from the Builder section not the appearance section) In order for my Pro site portion of the concept to work, I need subsite admins to see ONLY the themes they create, or that were made available to them as per the pro site level.

Is there any way to restrict the themes created within upfront builder to only show in the subsite they were created in? To be clear the themes show up in the builder section not the appearance section. I feel as though this behavior would make this plugin NOT compatible with multisite as there would be no way to separate themes on the network.

I'm sorry for such a long question but there is very little information regarding the selling of upfront themes and access to upfront as a pro site offering.

Thank you in advance for reading all the way through this.

The two website under development
upfrontcreators.com. (the pro site)
upfrontmarketplace.com (the dedicated marketplace)

• Rupok

Hi mattsterp,

Does this concept fall within the allowed parameters of my wpmudev membership?

Thanks for asking. I personally don't think there is any problem with your given model as long as your users will register on your site and will use the builder plugin which is already installed on your site under your account license.

Is there any way to restrict the themes created within upfront builder to only show in the subsite they were created in?

I just checked and this is by default available. I created a theme with Builder in one subsite (site.com/subone) and activated that theme on that subsite. Then I created a new subsite (site.com/subtwo) with a new user. This new subsite admin doesn't see the theme which first subsite admin created on "site.com/subone" as that theme was not network enabled.

I believe, these will help. Please let us know if you have any confusion or any further query. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• mattsterp

Hello,
    Thank you very much for answering my questions.

As far as themes showing up to all sub-site admins, I am still seeing this behavior in my installation.

To be clear they do not show in the appearance section its in the builder section. Perhaps this has something to do with the way I am testing.

In the screenshot I have included, you see the builder page of a user named maia logged in with the theme made by her logged in activated. The theme you see on the right labeled test site 3 was not made by maia.

Do you not see this same behavior? Again, the themes do not appear in the appearance > themes menu, its the Builder menu.

Thank you, m@

• johnnymestizo

I have tried to setup a Upfront theme site here:
    http://upfront.club

To be honest it has had limited success and getting people to submit any themes is the hardest part.

Do you have any free themes you could try and upload? It would be great to see what you have built.

Agreed, multisite hosting is a good idea, however could be quite a handful to support unless you can get a great hosting provider for multisite.

Johnny

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello mattsterp,

Yes, I did replicate this problem - in appearance themes are not visible but in Builder theme list all themes are there.
    It looks like Builder grabs all the Upfront themes and shows them there.
    At the moment I have to consult this with Builder developers if there is remedy for this problem and I will get back to you.

Please note that our forum system prevents bumping threads and each new post is treated as new answer - and gets pushed down the queue as fresh one and because we process our threads from older to newer this can create delays in our responses.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• mattsterp

Hello,
      This support experience has not been pleasant. Me simply posting more information about my issue is why it took over 5 days to get a question answered? That system you have here makes ppl feel ignored. This is a support forum after all not just a typical forum.

To be a member here we pay a very high premium. If I am not posting correctly please take a moment to make it clear what it is I am doing wrong, and how many days we should wait before posting a follow up.

Upfront Builder is not compatible with multisite. Its in fact the ONLY WordPress theme I have ever come across that is NOT compatible with multisite. A admin from one site can literately edit another admins theme from a different site.

Kindly, Matt

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Matt,

Upfront Builder is not compatible with multisite. Its in fact the ONLY WordPress theme I have ever come across that is NOT compatible with multisite. A admin from one site can literately edit another admins theme from a different site.

I reported that to our developers - they checked that and they will fix that issue as they see that it should not work in described way.

I'm sorry that you are not happy with my answer - I only tried to explain why when you posted few times in a row it got your thread down the queue. We do our best to avoid delays in such cases but sometimes we can't and hence my explanation.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello mattsterp,

By design this should prevent threads from bumping, so we are sure that when following from top to down (old to new) we give fair time share for each of our members. I understand that can be a pain especially when new updates, new findings are coming on different days.
    We will now try do our best to avoid further delays on your thread.

And task for Upfront developers is created - so if there will be a hot fix for the issue we will post it here.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• mattsterp

hello Kasia,
      Thanks for reporting this to the development team.
      Ive noticed another issue that makes Upfront builder not compatible with multisite from the perspective of sub-site admins. Currently there is no way for sub-site admins to delete any upfront themes they make.
      The only way to delete a upfront theme is to have access to the themes menu, sub-site admins do not typically have access to this menu.
      Can you please pass this along to the developers as well?

I wonder why upfront isn't compatible with multisite? It says its multisite compatible on the plugin listing.
      I hope I havent wasted a large amount of time on my project due to incorrect advertising.

Kindly, M@

• mattsterp

Hello WPMUDEV?

This is not worth the money.

Can anyone please come back and at least let me know whats going on?

Ive done tech support and let me tell you this is bad support. you dont even come back to let me know whats going on. You make zero effort to explain anything about my issue.

This system is so flawed. You tell me that any time I leave a message it makes it take longer for you to come reply?

I am building a massive project to help push Upfront theming now I just feel ripped off.

If anyone at wpmudev cares about losing a long time customer follow up here.
        I thought you worked threads old to new?
        This is not worth the money or effort It seems that you (meaning wpmudev) have zero obligation to make the product work they way you say they work.

Most of the reason I pay 50 dollars a month ( the cost of adobe creative cloud) is for the allegedly good support you have here.
        If I dont get that than I dont see any reason to keep paying. The plugins are just okay there not great.

when I look at how small the staff is its extremely irritating to me as your paying customer.
        Ive invested over 3000 in my project that supports upfront theming and it starting to look like I should just walk away and not spend another dime.

Guess what there are zero good upfront themes out there. The starter themes aren't even good by premium theme standards. wpmudev needs people like me who will teach others how the framework works and how to make money of selling the themes.

But i am losing money and interest and patience. Ive got a staff waiting to work who need to know what changes have to take place due to wpmudev incorrect advertising.

Please make this a priority like you said you would. Communication is key you have to follow up with me. Its been 8 days im trying to use the product as advertised I am patient but not a fool.
        kindly, m@

• Rupok

Hi mattsterp,

I'm extremely sorry for the delay from our end and I really do apologize for this. I'm subscribing to this thread right now so this thread gets very high priority and I will personally follow up on this one in the shortest possible time from now on. Now let me answer one by one.

Currently there is no way for sub-site admins to delete any upfront themes they make

By default, WordPress doesn't allow subsite admins (who doesn't have access to network dashboard) to delete themes from the network. They can just activate/deactivate themes on their subsite. But in this context, as they have the option to create their own theme, they should also have the option to delete at least their own themes. I'm pinging our developers regarding this and will update you as soon as I get anything from them.

We really appreciate your attempt at creating an Upfront theme marketplace and we really would like to help. As I said above, I've personally subscribed to this thread and will follow up. So from now on, this type of delay won't happen for this thread for sure.

While I discuss this subsite admin having the ability of theme deleting feature with our developers, can you please tell us if you found any other thing which you think should be changed? I'll also forward those to our developers within the shortest possible time.

Whatever happened, I do apologize for that again. Let us help you in building a nice and awesome Upfront theme marketplace.

Please let us know if you have any confusion or any further query. We will be glad to assist.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.