Upfront Builder Not Saving Changes

Hello! I'm trying update tao1.stefanos.co, and Upfront is NOT changing settings.

I have replaced images on either on side of the logo with text - that has NOT been changed. When others (or me using an un-logged-in browser) visit the site, they see the broken images placeholder, or nothing at all. This image is from Firefox, with cleared cache, not logged into WordPress at all.

I am using H1 and H2 in the header. When I open the site in Upfront Builder, I see old styles for those, but I see current tagline text in the header. This image is from Chrome, logged into Builder.

When I "Close Upfront" I see the current styles, but older tagline text. This is after closing Upfront, but still logged into WordPress.

You'll notice that body text is not changing, either.

I have cleared the Upfront cache several times. I have turned Upfront Experimental Features on and off several times. I have cleared the cache on Chrome more than once.

This is enormously frustrating. Can you please help? I have enabled support access.

Thanks,
Steve

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Steve,

Have you open and change you site in Upfront Editor while developing it in Builder? If yes, then this is reason you don't see any changes made in Builder.
    Builder saves all the changes to files - this way you can move theme from one site to another.
    But when you open site in Upfront Editor, all changes are saved to database and from now on any changes made to files won''t change whats in database.
    I checked in Upfront Editor and site looks like on your first image.

I also deactivated Minification as this can interfere with looks of the site when you are still building it.

Right now if you want your site to look exactly like in Builder you have to reset Upfront theme in Upfront -> General -> Reset Theme to Default State

The contact form is WPMUDEV's form. No matter how many times I save the client's email address in the "Send form content to:" field, it sends the email to my WordPress login email.

I'm afraid I can't replicate this issue on your site - I tested that form with my email, but I was able to save it and then test it - I did receive email from that form to my email.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Steve

I already knew not to use Upfront while using builder.

Here's what I just learned: Do NOT click "Close Upfront" after saving changes to the theme, or the changes will be discarded. I clicked "WP Admin" and the styles saved.

However, I still can't get the contact form to keep the new email address in it. I now have six emails in my inbox, and my client still hasn't received one. Can you check and tell me what address you see in the form options?

• Steve

Please help me understand this.

Do I need to create/modify the theme in Builder, but work on individual pages in Upfront? It sure does seem like that wasn't the case last week - I'm positive I did everything in Builder.

I had to access the page in Upfront to change the header image (and have it be visible to the rest of the world) - shouldn't that be a Builder task? It's a global region.

I accessed the page in Upfront, and was able to save the contact form email-to address. That makes sense, if Builder is for theme-level work only. Do I understand that correctly?

Why is there a link to "Close Upfront" in Builder?

• Nithin

Hi Steve,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Here's what I just learned: Do NOT click "Close Upfront" after saving changes to the theme, or the changes will be discarded. I clicked "WP Admin" and the styles saved.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I tested this in my system, and I wasn't able to replicate any such changes being saved which I clicked "WP Admin". Neither I was able to replicate in your system, are still able to replicate this? If yes, please brief up the steps to replicate this, so that I could have a better idea about this.

However, I still can't get the contact form to keep the new email address in it. I now have six emails in my inbox, and my client still hasn't received one. Can you check and tell me what address you see in the form options?

Are you talking about the email address you configured? If yes, please check the screenshot below:

Does your email address start with capital letter? Maybe that's being filtered out, and isn't showing for your client, or maybe it would be in the spam folder.

Do I need to create/modify the theme in Builder, but work on individual pages in Upfront? It sure does seem like that wasn't the case last week - I'm positive I did everything in Builder.

Upfront Builder is used to create a theme from scratch, once you are done with Upfront Builder, and your theme is ready, then there isn't any role for Upfront Builder anymore. You can customize the theme using Upfront Editor. Maybe this thread might help you understand the difference between Upfront Editor, and Upfront Builder
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upfront-editor-versus-upfront-builder

I had to access the page in Upfront to change the header image (and have it be visible to the rest of the world) - shouldn't that be a Builder task? It's a global region.

It's best to just keep your work in Upfront Builder. Then, when you deploy the theme, you can make any individual tweaks with Upfront Editor. If the header image was meant to be changed for a single specific page, then that would be done via Upfront Editor, as it's more of a site specific customization.

If you are familiar with the default WordPress Customizer, located under Appearance > Customize, Upfront Editors job would be the same. And Upfront Builders job would be to develop the theme, once finished with developing the theme you'll have to use Upfront Editor to customize site specific changes.

Why is there a link to "Close Upfront" in Builder?

Upfront Builder is based on Upfront Framework, and hence you'll find that link. You can however, notice the difference between both as the logo in the sidebar shows Upfront, or Builder respectively when opened. I do see that "Close Upfront" link might confuse user, so I'm bringing this in developers attention, thanks for pointing that one out.

I don't ever remember having this much trouble using Upfront/Builder. Did I do something to corrupt this theme? Should I create a new one and switch to that?

Now getting back to your issue, since you are sure that all the changes are done via Upfront Builder, it should have worked fine. However, now when I check your site in Upfront Builder, and Upfront Editor, and also via logged out in Chrome, and FF, I don't see a difference. I guess you have fixed this?

Normally resetting the theme, under Upfront > General should be enough, you don't have to create a new theme, unless you think it's necessary.

Is there anything else, I should be checking at? Please advise if I had missed out anything here. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Steve

Thank you for the response!

I think every problem in this instance came from lack of knowledge on my part. Again, I'm grateful for the response and the link, which should help me in that area.

The issue with the email address in the contact form was addressed in a later response from me - when I edited the properties with Editor instead of Builder, everything worked correctly.

Thanks again!
    Steve

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.