Upfront Builder Theme Versioning

Hi - I am using Upfront to build a theme from scratch. I am finding that my updates in the Builder are not being reflected automatically on the front end of the website. They do get reflected when I create a theme to export from Builder however.

The problem with this is that when I go to install the updated theme, the one which was created by the export does not hold the version. Then, the install creates two themes of the same name which creates a host of new problems.

Please let me know if I am doing something incorrectly. I have been told that theme changes via the Upfront Builder should be reflected live. I am not seeing that this is the case. What I am seeing is that when I create a new export through builder, then the changes I just made ARE reflected.

Please let me know. I would not be adding as many support tickets if there were more detailed documentation and how to's available on the topics. I know your team is great at responding to these support tickets. Dimitris Kalliris, I did consult the video you sent to me via the prior question and the versioning is not kept within the builder. Even when I entered it in, it did not keep the change to the new version number.

Thanks !
Becky

• Rupok

Hi Becky,

I have been told that theme changes via the Upfront Builder should be reflected live

Yes. If the theme (which you are editing with Builder) is activated on your site, then your changes should be reflected in your site after you click the "Save Theme" button.

To confirm this on your site, I logged in with Support Access, activated the test theme I created last night with Upfront Builder on your site, and then loaded Builder to edit that theme. Then I added a text line in Builder, saved that, and reloaded the front page. The change was shown in front-end. I've created a video screencast of the whole thing: http://take.ms/5C4vF

So I could not regenerate the issue on your site. Am I missing something? Can you please check this screencast and compare this with your process? If you have any confusion regarding anything, please let us know. We are always here to help.

And having a single ticket for any specific issue helps both you and us to track down the solution. So I'll suggest you not to open multiple threads for any specific problem. When there is one thread for one problem, all our combined effort is saved there. So it facilitates the troubleshooting process.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Becky Bruso

Rupok -

Thank you for your earlier replies. I have followed your steps in the video and my theme updates still do not take live. Please log in to my site and review the bold theme by visiting the website live url. Then review what the homepage looks like for the theme I am building. You will see that there is a distinct difference. When making changes to the theme I am building, I access the builder from the dashboard menu item under Upfront. ../../wordpress/wp-admin/admin.php?page=upfront-builder. I am creating a theme from scratch.

I look forward to hearing from you on this.

Thank you.
      Becky
      Becky

• Nithin

Hi Becky Bruso,

I'm marking this thread as private, I could see the website is different in Upfront Builder. Did you make any edits using the Upfront Editor? That is making changes by clicking the Upfront editor, as shown in the screenshot below:

If you had customized using the Upfront Editor, the changes won't be seen live. You'll have to make use of the Upfront Builder to make any such changes to your website, ie going to admin.php?page=upfront-builder, and clicking EDIT IN BUILDER button.

What you'll have to do is, go to Upfront > General, and click the RESET THEME button. Please do note that clicking the reset button, will remove all the changes made via Upfront Editor, and you'll have to redo the changes using the Upfront Builder.

Please let us know whether this is the case, if not, we would give a closer look. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Becky Bruso

Hi- I cleared out my browser cache in Chrome and reloaded the site and can now see the Builder changes. Throughout the day I had used browser extension tools to clear cache continually and used page reload and css reload. I used the Builder exclusively to create my theme. Earlier this weekend, I realized that there was a difference between the two.

I think I am okay now, unless you have a recommended browser which works best with Upfront Builder. Or other methods to make sure I can clear my browser cache (perhaps a plugin ? )

I have reset my theme in the past, but will not be doing so now as I have done considerable work and want to keep this in place. I do appreciate your detailed response and reviews to assist me.

I did make some edit changes in Upfront Editor as a means of testing what changes I could do after the theme creation as some work around items to issues.

My home page in Builder was much more detailed than that which was viewable on the website front end earlier. Now we are insync and I am relieved that my project can continue.

Thank you very much and have a great evening.
    Becky

• Nithin

Hey Becky Bruso,

I think I am okay now, unless you have a recommended browser which works best with Upfront Builder. Or other methods to make sure I can clear my browser cache (perhaps a plugin ? )

Glad to know that you have figured it out. It's not recommend to enable cache for a development website. The thing is, you don't optimize your site which is under production, once you have made all the changes, and you website is ready, you could make use of cache. Upfront should work with all the browser, there isn't any such recommendation. However, I do like to play with Upfront on Chrome, just a personal opinion.

I have reset my theme in the past, but will not be doing so now as I have done considerable work and want to keep this in place. I do appreciate your detailed response and reviews to assist me.

Resetting your theme will delete all the changes made through the Upfront Editor, ie the settings are cleared from the database. However, it'll not delete any changes made through Upfront Builder because all the changes are saved within the themes folder. A conflict might occur, if we try to use Upfront Editor along with Upfront Builder resetting the theme will remove such conflicts.

I hope this should help clear you doubts. Have a great day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Becky Bruso

NIthan- Thank you for your reply- I like Chrome as well. I did not have cache enabled, but am working remotely on SiteGround with this website so that I can show the client what it looks like this week.

I plan to do a build and export. Then refresh the database and re-install my theme.

I think this issue is pretty much resolved. If I encounter any issue when moving forward with builder to front-end refresh, I will clear browser cache.

Thank you.

Becky