Upfront Google Font not saving

When I make changes to the Theme Fonts Manager, I import the font that I need - "Cabin Condensed". I save the font, then change the Type element for all of the fonts to Cabin Condensed - it all works when I save it. However, when I close Upfront and then go back in... all of the changes have been lost. I have tried this multiple times, is there a way to resolve this?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello mschen,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I have tested this on my setup and it seems to be working for me with the "Cabin Condensed" font and other Google Fonts that I tried. That said, I would like to take a closer look at your site and test it again there. Would you mind granting me a support access please?

Here's a guide on how to do this:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there mschen,

hope you're doing good and don't mind me chiming in here :slight_smile:

I also tried to replicate this in a test installation of mine with no avail.
    I then inspected your website after you kindly granted support access for us and I saw this in action. Could you please access your server through FTP, edit the wp-config.php file, find a line like
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);
    and replace it with the following (if the above line doesn’t exist, simply insert next snippet just above the /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ comment)

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    // Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    // Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors', 0);

Then go ahead and try to replicate the error (open up Builder, choose your fonts to import, select the appropriate font family in couple of elements). By doing so, a /wp-content/debug.log file should be created. Simply download it, rename it to debug.txt and attach it here in your next reply.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello mschen,

I'm glad you found a workaround. I'm a bit confused though so would you mind sharing some more explanation on this?

You do need any Upfront theme to be active on site in order to be able to use Upfront Builder at all. As you mentioned, you switched to one of the starter themes and that helped and since I didn't manage to access your site before you did it, I"m not sure how was that set up before. What I mean is: was that that the theme that you are building was active on site back than or was it other starter theme than it is now (if so, which was that)?

I'm asking this in order to be able to run some more checks on my side and replicate the issue, just in case I had to report that to the developers. Let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• mschen

Adam,

Ah, I actually didn't know you need at least an Upfront theme to be active when I use the Upfront Builder. I didn't actually have an actual Upfront theme active - my active theme was the default WordPress installation theme. I'm getting that was the issue? I started with a fresh installation of WordPress, then I installed wpmudev. Then installed the Upfront plugin, as well as the builder. I installed the Script theme, but I did not "Activate" the theme. I then just went into the Builder to start building my theme. I never actually activated an Upfront theme throughout the whole process.

Let me know if you need further explanation :slight_smile:

Thanks!
    Steven

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Steven,

I did some extensive testing on my end and I was unable to replicate the issue I'm afraid.

However since there seem to be some misunderstanding here from the start let me give some more info about Upfront and Upfront Builder first.

Upfront is parent theme that's required for child themes and Upfront Builder to work, however none of the changes should be made to parent theme itself.

Upfront Builder is used to create child themes for Upfront parent theme, these themes can then later be edited using Upfront Editor from parent theme.
    Upfront Builder will create child themes that you can export and install on other sites running Upfront parent theme and then it can be further customized for that site.

The thing is that Upfront Builder shows notification to activate Upfront Parent theme and if you click that the parent theme will be activated on your site.
    If you then go to create new child theme and not activate it but just modify it using Upfront Builder those changes will not be visible on front end.

What I suspect happened here is that you activated child theme by clicking on notification button and then started creating your child theme but you didn't actually activate it.
    When you check front end while Upfront Parent theme is active it will actually look similar to default look of new child theme but it will not load changes from that child theme.

So after you activated child theme itself you were able to see the changes.

Hope this makes sense and that it's not too much confusing :smiley:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.