Upfront grouping my stuff in giant uneditabble regions

My latest disaster trying to salvage a basic website out of this Upfront framework is it grouping a bunch of different elements into 1 big rectangle that I can't edit. It always pops up a "publish" dialog box. Ultra frustrated and scratching my head that you guys are ONLY supporting this framework that is extremely unstable and doesn't even run on Wordpress. Is it true that you can't use the regular Wordpress editor with this theme and that you don't support any of your old themes that aren't built around Upfront?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Brian,

Happy to help out with this.

The support access you granted has an invalid token, if you revoke then regrant that should fix it and I can log in and have a look at the page in the editor to see what is happening :slight_smile:

Is it true that you can't use the regular Wordpress editor with this theme and that you don't support any of your old themes that aren't built around Upfront?

The Upfront Frontend customizer replaces the default WordPress customizer yes. We know Upfront definitely isn't perfect yet, but we have a team of developers dedicated to improving it :slight_smile: we are coming out with a plugin compatibility update soon that should resolve a lot of the most common issues that users are running into.

We still provide security updates for our legacy themes when needed but yes there won't be any further feature updates for them.

Let me know when you have regranted support access.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Brian,

Thanks for doing that. I had a closer look and it looks like majority of your posts, such as the one in your screenshot above, were pulled in with Autoblog. Is that right?

If so, then that is why you are seeing all those different elements in the posts, it's just pulling the content directly from the rss feed and adding it to the post body.

When you get that "publish" box(screenshot attached) that means you are in edit mode and you can add and remove content from that box. I've just gone into edit mode and I can remove elements and add text as needed.

Are you still not able to edit those posts at all?

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Brian

Not Autoblog. I used a List.ly list? I figured out how to make edits but working with this theme is definitely a test of patience. It always takes awhile to update the live pages but I've waited a half hour and it still hasn't made any of the changes I made to
    http://fortlauderdale.citywide.tv/flibs-2015-fort-lauderdale-international-boat-show/

added a pinboard and youtube playlist and got rid of the stuff in the mystery section above the title of the post..

pulling my hair out at this point, coming on 2 weeks of banging my head against a wall trying to wrestle this Upfront platform into something presentable for a very simple website.

Not sure what to do, can you recommend and regular old Wordpress themes from WPMU I can use I'm at my wits end here. Your magazine theme is far from the simple, clean , white/blue design I have in mind for this site but a magazine type theme would be good.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Brian,

You're saying that it takes awhile for your changes in the editor to reflect on the live site?

That is almost definitely a caching issue, as when the changes on made on the backend they are saved to the database right away. Even if you don't have any caching plugins, you could have server side caching that is causing the issue as it's still serving up the last cached page from before you made the changes then when the cache is updated you will see the new updates to the pages too.

I just tested this but I saw the changes right away. I have posted a screenshot to illustrate what I changed, just removed a couple words from the post you linked to above(hope that's okay).

Not Autoblog. I used a List.ly list?

I've never actually used List.ly list before but sounds like it does a similar thing where it imports content into your posts? It likely leaves behind some of the formatting and then uses the general CSS styles from the side, which could cause styling issues.

can you recommend and regular old Wordpress themes from WPMU I can use I'm at my wits end here.

Right now our theme dev team is 100% focused on Upfront. We have some big updates planned that will hopefully land before the end of the year :slight_smile:

Keep in mind, we design our plugins to work with all themes that follow WP standards. We realize there are many that do prefer your regular non-drag and drop themes too. We have many lists of WordPress theme suggestions you can check out on our blog posts: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/best-free-wordpress-themes/

If you have further questions just let me know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Brian

I just checked the page in a different browser and all the stuff is still above the title and no Pinterest or Youtube playlist below like I have in my editor and have saved and published 3 times??
    http://fortlauderdale.citywide.tv/flibs-2015-fort-lauderdale-international-boat-show/

Ahhhhh!!!!!! Am I the only one that is finding this impossible? I've been using Wordpress for 10 years and have never had any sort of problems like this.. totally dead in the water for 2 weeks already trying to do very basic stuff. might be time for me to switch to a different theme and start over.. have a bad feeling most of the work I've done in Upfront isn't going to migrate well though

Do you have any general advice or at least caching advice so I can do anything with this theme?

Thanks, -Brian

• Tyler Postle

Hey Brian,

Sorry for my delay. I just looked at the post again and I can see that the YouTube video and Pinterest are below the article now and nothing is above it anymore. So it looks to be displaying correctly now?

Do you have any general advice or at least caching advice so I can do anything with this theme?

It depends on what sort of caching you have implemented. In most setups the cache will automatically update when you update or create a post. To make sure it includes the newer content; however, some caching can be quite aggressive and it might take awhile for you to see the changes. It doesn't look like you have any caching plugins so if you do have caching then it will be server side. You can ask your host more info on that.

I also want to mention that there is an update to both the Spirit theme and Upfront available, You can update both of those through the WPMU DEV Dashboard.

WPMU DEV > Updates.

Hope that helps! If you still have further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.