Upfront homepage templates & old content showing up

Hello,

I've been working on a site using the Upfront building based of the uf-scribe starter theme. I'm suddenly having a new issue after editing the same areas I usually edit so I don't really have any idea of what might be causing the problem or if I've been using layouts organized in a way that is setting myself up for problems.

I've been editing the homepage layout in the Upfront builder. Changes I've made here have always been reflected on the site homepage. The new changes I've added (stylized tabs, menu changes, etc) are no longer showing up on the homepage. When I go to the upfront builder to the homepage layout the changes are all there so they did save.

The site homepage when you visit the website is still showing a previous version from the day before.

I don't have any Wordpress pages created with Homepage content, so if the site homepage isn't generating from the homepage layout template in the Upfront builder or from a Wordpress page I'm not sure where it is coming from.

I've tried creating a new wordpress page in Upfront to make the static homepage using (setting>reading>static page) but when I try to do that the homepage layout template is not available as a layout to select in Upfront or the wordpress page editor.

I've cleared the Upfront cache with no change and have enabled support access on the site.

Could you give me some idea of what I'm missing? I appreciate the help and advice.

Differences between the two versions for clarify:
the older version is viewable on the site when you visit the domain.
The new version in the "homepage" layout in Upfront builder has a logo on the top left, 3 dropdown options from the menu under services, and a purple with white text tabs under the about us section.

Thank you!

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Matthew,

Is it possible that you edited once site in Upfront Editor instead of Upfront Builder? When you are developing theme in Builder you should not edit it in Editor because when you do that changes you made are saved in database and they will always override next changes made in Builder (those changes are save to files).
    In order to show recent changes made in Builder you would need to reset your theme template or whole theme. This way changes made in Upfront Editor will be erased and you will see clean version of the theme made in Builder.

You can reset theme in DEBUG OPTIONS in Upfront -> General

Before doing any changes I recommend doing backup of your site.

Let me know how it goes.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Matthew Broderick

Hi Kasia,

That makes sense. This is my first site in Upfront. What would be the best practice in creating the homepage & working process?
    Should I continue building the site in the theme builder. Once the site is done as in I've created the main pages/layouts - Should I let it show the homepage from the homepage template in builder as it's been doing automatically or would it be best to create a new wordpress page, assign it the homepage layout, and then go to the settings>reading>static page to select it? At that point I would be using the Upfront editor for everything going forward and no longer touching the builder?

Thanks!

Nithin

Hi Matthew Broderick,

Hope you are doing good today.

What would be the best practice in creating the homepage & working process?

Upfront themes doesn't work like default WordPress themes, their have their own framework. By default the page which loads is the homepage for Upfront. However, if you are looking to offer more than one template for homepage, you can create the required templates, and assign that page under Settings > Reading.

At that point I would be using the Upfront editor for everything going forward and no longer touching the builder?

Yes, you are right. Upfront Builder is only meant for theme development. Once done, the theme is ready for the end users, then Upfront Builder is no longer required. End users will make use of the Upfront Editor to customize the theme according to their needs.

I hope this clears your doubts. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Dave

Good questions and answers that have really helped clear up some of my misunderstandings. The documentation could certainly be a lot clearer about this fundamental concept.

I understand the above makes sense for developing client themes. Is the best practice for developing our own sites the same process?

Also, if a client asks for a permanent design change, would you make that change in the editor or the builder? If in the builder, then you're saying all editor changes would have to be scrubbed..?

Dave

Nithin

Hey Dave,

I understand the above makes sense for developing client themes. Is the best practice for developing our own sites the same process?

If the customization are related to one site, and if the customization are small changes to color, styles etc you could easily implement Upfront Editor. Or if you aren't looking to implement the theme in another website, you could make use of Upfront Editor. However, using Upfront Builder would the best practice if you considering development, and looking to implement the theme in multiples sites.

Also, if a client asks for a permanent design change, would you make that change in the editor or the builder? If in the builder, then you're saying all editor changes would have to be scrubbed..?

This is subjective to your needs, you can make changes to your website in both ways ie through Builder or Editor(cannot create layouts). If you have made heavy changes using Upfront Editor, resetting the theme will make your work redundant, because you'll have to redo it in Builder. As mentioned above, if you are looking to implement the changes in multiples website with the same theme, use Builder.

Waaaiit a minute! There ain't no debug options under Upfront->General ...????

I have already replied to you regarding this in your thread, please follow your thread if you have more questions related to Upfront.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-undo-changes-made-in-upfront-editor-or-reset-the-theme-back-to-original

Kind Regards,
    Nithin