Upfront in a private multisite

Is this possible?

I have a multisite / buddypress / prosites project using protected content and multisite privacy. The need is to make everything but the home page of the buddypress install private, requiring an account and to be logged in. The users will have an option to create their own "blog" hence the multisite, and the blog will be private to the members, I have not decided yet whether to give the option to make them open to the public.

Assuming they are private, since the user will be logged in, will they be able to see their blog the same as another member would? i.e.: without the editing controls?

Is there a way, or any plans, to limit users to only see the front end, and never go into the wordpress admin panel for their site?

Ideally I would like to set it up so that when a user registers, their blog will be setup for them using upfront and a starting theme, all the plugins etc. preloaded. Then al they have to do is add content from the front end.

I hope this makes sense!

Cheers!
Chris

• Jude

Hi there Chris

The need is to make everything but the home page of the buddypress install private, requiring an account and to be logged in.

This is possible, there are several options to do this but the best one being Protected Content.

Is there a way, or any plans, to limit users to only see the front end, and never go into the wordpress admin panel for their site?

This is possible with a simple function like below

add_action( 'init', 'blockusers_init' );

function blockusers_init() {
        if ( is_admin() && ! current_user_can( 'administrator' ) &&
           ! ( defined( 'DOING_AJAX' ) && DOING_AJAX ) ) {
            wp_redirect( home_url() );
            exit;
        }
    }

With that code only administrators (or super admin) users can access wp-admin, everyone else will be re-directed to the homepage.

Ideally I would like to set it up so that when a user registers, their blog will be setup for them using upfront and a starting theme, all the plugins etc. preloaded. Then al they have to do is add content from the front end.

While its possible in theory, Im not sure if a totally hands off approach will work here. This setup may need a bit of tweaking in user roles and capabilities. Also they may be able to edit content/images etc. but even a minor change like date settings will need them to contact the super admin.

Again I've never seen it in action but its a great idea.

Cheers
    Jude

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.