Upfront loading theme with presets

So, I am editing the Parrot theme. When I open Upfront, click 'Edit Current Theme, it brings in the default theme with some of my changes but not others.
When I exit Upfront some changes are there but not others.
Also, I keep reading about editor and fixer. What are these? I could not find an Upfront Editor. Do I need to create child themes?

• Ken Kimbrell

Hello Arlene-

Make sure you have all forms of caching turned off if developing in a live environment. In addition you can combat it, by using another browser and clearing your cache until changes are shown. For example if you are editing through chrome, you would not want to clear your cache to check style because then it would log you out of wordpress. So a common practice would be to use a secondary browser and refresh/clear cache as needed to see your changes. Your hosting service generally stores cache by default, so you may need to go into your hosting provider's admin page and turn off all caching. Caching can be quite a nuisance when developing on a live server :disappointed:

Also, I keep reading about editor and fixer. What are these? I could not find an Upfront Editor. Do I need to create child themes?

By default if you activate an upfront theme, your automatically on the child theme. You can always use a plugin like Simple CSS to keep track of your style changes.

By editor, do you mean our BUILDER PLUGIN ?

Let me know how I can help!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

• Ken Kimbrell

Hello Arlene-

I noticed that you have our upfront builder plugin as well. It is important to understand that when you are making changes to your theme that you are going to just upfront, that way the modifications are applied to your theme, but does not change core theme styles. When you go into Builder and click, "Modify current theme." You are actually modifying the core styles of the theme, and a reset theme would be needed to see those changes. Periodically the changes will apply to your current theme, generally it will not. So if you just want to apply changes to your current theme, then use upfront only, and those changes if saved will be applied immediately. Essentially Builder is its separate entity and was created to integrate with upfront for making themes of your own with ease, then you could go into upfront and use its robust interface and style your themes individually without having to activate them. Which is Awesome :slight_smile:

I took the liberty of making of making a screen cast to better show you what I mean. You can find the video below:
    SEE SCREEN CAST HERE :slight_smile:

Let me know how this works for you!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.