Upfront not working, Fixer Theme, reset

Hello support human!

May I say, you hair looks a dream today. Now to the mundane:
Yesterday Upfront stopped working. Can't find any pointers to as why that happened. I attempted updating it. Tried twice to no avail. Saw info about my theme being incompatible with something, used "Fix it" prompt, nothing happened.
Today my page greets me with a reset theme. Need help getting it to it's previous self, getting upfront running (seems to be down again). I thought maybe my trial ended, but can't see any emails about that.

Please come to the rescue. My page attempt was crap, but I still miss it.
Thanks!

Anna

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Anna,

Do you have a backup that you could restore so we could start from beginning? It looks very strange because your site is default Fixer except menu that is new so it looks like something did reset it but not entirely.
    But if you did reset your theme then only backup can restore changes you made.

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

kind regards,
    Kasia

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Anna!

I accessed and checked your site and I got slightly confused.

There's a Fixer theme active. It's a default Fixer and I understand that you did the "Reset" of the theme. Unfortunately, if your backup is from after the site broke and/or reset has been performed, it won't be possible to recreate previous state. This is one thing however.

Another one is that there are five copies of Fixer installed on the site and I admit I've never seen this before. Their folders are renamed but that doesn't help much as the theme is in fact the same and Upfront (as in "parent theme") is quite different than any other regular WordPress theme.

Now, that being said, the Upfront editor - not to be confused with Upfront Builder! - seems to be working fine on the site. I was able to enable it with no errors at all. I didn't try Upfront Builder though because of that multiplied theme.

My point is here is that you mentioned Upfront and Upfront Builder and I'm not sure which one did you/do you want to use. If you are going to use Fixer and just customize it to your liking to be used on your site only, you would want to use Upfront as in Upfront editor. This is the one that you start by using "Appearance -> Customize" option or clicking on "Upfront" link in top admin bar.

If you are going to build your own theme from scratch, then you should use Upfront Builder (Upfront -> Builder). I'm mentioning it only to make sure that you are using right tool for the right job, I hope that makes sense

Having that said, here's what I would suggest to do in case you do not have any access to any backup from right before the site "broke":

- I would remove all the Fixer themes that are on the site
    - I would then use WPMU DEV -> Themes menu in dashboard to install new copy of Fixer

Then I would use Upfront editor ("Upfront" top bar link or "Appearance -> Customize") to customize the site. That is, if there's no backup available from before the issue happened. If there is any, I would go for restoring the site from that backup.

Then, if any issues occur after that, we would investigate it again. Would that work for you?

Kind regards,
    Adam