Upfront page template vs no template...

Hi WPMU,

I've read your guide Pt 7 to Upfront. Little confused. Hope I you can check my understanding here...

If I select 'No theme' I'll be able to switch to another theme and still see the content of the page.

If I select one of your theme templates (I'm testing with Fixer), I'll be locked in with just your Themes.

I've created a "no template" page http://webandglue.co.uk/test-no-template/

Can you please clarify what you mean by "In order to edit your page content, just double-click it and you’ll return to the page editor." To me this reads as I'l return to the standard WP editor. Is this what you mean? When I edit my text I remain in Upfront. I'm not returned to native WP editor.

Also what are the advantages of using your pre-defined templates, looks like I could simply style using no template.

Thanks
Kevin

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Kevin,

I can understand that this part could be a bit confusing so I'll do my best here to clear things up :slight_smile:

When you are using "None" page template then your page content is the same as the content in your backend, if you check that page in your admin section you will see that the content is the same.
    However, if you add any Upfront elements to that page it will not be shown in your admin backend and will not be visible if after you switched the theme, original content from text box will still be there.

Predefined templates don't use default WP content and once you created such page you will see that there is no content in your admin, so all the elements need to be customized from Upfront editor and will not be transferred if you switch theme.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "In order to edit your page content, just double-click it and you’ll return to the page editor." To me this reads as I'l return to the standard WP editor. Is this what you mean? When I edit my text I remain in Upfront. I'm not returned to native WP editor.

You will stay in upfront editor to edit the page content but changes saved there will also be visible in backend.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any followup questions.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Kevin,

WP themes usually use default WP functions that are calling your content and thus showing on other themes as well, but all the custom elements are not transferred between themes.
    With Upfront we had to take different approach in order to make it drag & drop from front end and it's using custom elements that will can't be transferred to other themes.

Any specific benefit of Upfront themes?

With upfront themes you can create custom layouts and customize the site to your liking without the need of a developer to make custom changes in theme files :slight_smile:

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.