Upfront Questions For An Existing Site

I'm currently using Headway on my site but want to switch to Upfront. I believe that I can't use Upfront by itself but need to use it with a child theme.
Does it matter which child theme I use? I'll want to replace most of the elements to get it to look like my current site. Is there a basic child theme that I can work off of?
I read somewhere that if I enter a post or page text direct via the Theme then it doesn't remain on the site if I change Themes. Is that correct? If so then are any any disadvantages to continuing to add posts and pages via the Wordpress interface like I do now?
Dumb question but I've got to ask - how do I transition to the new theme without messing up the existing site? Obviously I can't just load the new child theme and have that showing on my site. Do I create a copy somewhere and then transfer that over? Any help around this will be appreciated.
Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Allan,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

To use Upfront you actually don't install Upfront itself. Instead please choose one of its child themes which currently are: Spirit, Scribe, Fixer and Panino.

These themes are available here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/

I'm not familiar with Headway but I believe you're referring to some kind of a visual builder, which is also a main feature of our Upfront themes. If so, then it's true that the changes made to site's layout/design this way won't be copied automatically from your previous theme to Upfront theme.

I understand that you wish to switch theme on a "live" site. This can be indeed a bit tricky. I think you give this plugin a try then:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/theme-test-drive/

It should allow you to "test-drive" and configure your new theme "in the background" while all the visitors to your site will still see a current theme. After the development is done, you may then safely switch to a new theme.

As for adding post/page via theme. I'm not sure how does it work with Headway but this shouldn't be an issue. One way or another, the theme must interact somehow with core WP functions so the post/page content should be safely sitting inside the database, thus be accessible no matter what theme you're using :slight_smile:

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions, I'll be glad to assist!

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.