Upfront / Scribe - Error Saving

HI,

I just created a new multisite installation and would like to build it (nearly) exclusively with WPMU Dev themes/plugins.

I am trying to use the Scribe child theme of Upfront - but am having issues with it saving any changes I make...as in it won't save anything.

When I am editing in Upfront, any time I try to save an element I've changed - or when I click the big green Save button on the left - I get a message saying "there was an error saving your changes," and you guessed it - nothing saves or changes.

I am trying to get this project complete this afternoon/this evening (website in minutes, right?) - so if you can let me know what you need from me to look into this further I would appreciate it.

I have created an admin for the WPMU DEV team on the site - but I see a note below not to submit passwords and such through the Ticket Form - so I will wait for further instruction.

Thanks!
Mark

Rupok

Hi Mark, thanks for asking. It seems like you are not alone in the ocean. We got the same report from users previously but this can be fixed.

I tried to regenerate this on my test site but I could not. So this is your site specific issue. It seems like the issue is related more towards mod_security rules, could you please add the following code to .htaccess file, located in your root folder? :

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    SecFilterRemove 00318
    </IfModule>

If that couldn't resolve the issue, please contact your host and ask to disable the mod_security.

Also, WP_MEMORY_LIMIT is set to 40M, you can try increasing your memory_limit to see if that helps, please try adding the following to wp-config.php.
    define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
    Please do confirm from your host, whether there is any limitation on the server to upload file size, and you can try increasing that in php.ini to see whether it helps.

Though the issue is more towards mod_security, changing memory limit probably might improve the websites performance but not the current issue.

Please let us know how it goes. We will be glad to help further if required.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

mkbabcock

Hi Rupok,

I submitted this response once before, but it didn't save and appear in the thread once I clicked "Post" - so I'm posting again. My apologies if it is a duplicate.

Here is what I have done....

I added define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M'); to the wp-config.php. I actually did this yesterday when I setup the site and started having issues. I saw in another thread from somebody else this may resolve the issue...plus, I normally do this on all my installs (particularly multi-site).

I added to my .htaccess in the root folder (public_html):

SecFilterRemove 00318
    </IfModule>

to my .htaccess.

I put it at the bottom after what I was provided when I created the multisite installation. The entire .htaccess is now this:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    SecFilterRemove 00318
    </IfModule>

I also went ahead and created a php.ini to set resource limits as follows:

[PHP]

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ; Resource Limits ;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = 30     ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
    max_input_time = 60	; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
    memory_limit = 256M

And I created a phpinfo.php so you can see the PHP info at http://luxxlinens.com/phpinfo.php

Both the Local Value and Master Value for upload_max_filesize is 2M. I am waiting to hear from my host whether or not I can change this in php.ini...but like you, I'm not sure it would have any impact. Also, I run about 60 sites with this host and have used and/or played around with hundreds of themes...and never had an issue relating to upload_max_filesize. Is there a reason Upfront would require more than what any other theme would require and not run with it set to 2M?

Once I did this, I went to the Dashboard for the main site, then to Upfront --> General. I then reset the Upfront Cache and the Theme.

I then logged out, cleared my browser history and reloaded my browser. Then I logged back into the site, opened Upfront and made a change, and....

(Here's where I was hoping I could say it worked)

Same error as before. When I click "Save" for an element I get a message saying "There has been an error saving your changes." Similarly, when I click the big green Save button - same error message.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to move on with another theme to get the main site done.

I have however setup a site on the network called "ScribePlayground" at http://scribeplayground.luxxlinens.com. I do want to figure out the issue because I'd like to use Upfront theme(s) in the future.

Incidently, when I created the site and activated Scribe - Just for kicks, I tested it to see if by chance it would save properly. It doesn't and I get the same error message.

Let me know what I should try next.

Thanks,
    Mark

Nithin

Hi mkbabcock,

Hope you are doing good today.

Thank you for sharing your troubleshooting notes, could you please try adding the following rules in your wp-config.php file, and check whether it makes any difference:
    define('UPFRONT_DEBUG_LEVELS', 'dependencies');

Please make sure you add the code, above the line: /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

And I created a phpinfo.php so you can see the PHP info at http://luxxlinens.com/phpinfo.php

As mentioned by you, I could notice that post_max_size, and upload_max_filesize, are 8M, and 2M respectively.

Please do increase these, to a higher value, these values shouldn't be greater than memory_limit, increasing these values will help you avoid any request entity errors. Also please try to increase your memory limit to 512M, and and check whether it makes any difference.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,
    Nithin