Upfront (Spirit) - First Thoughts

Well, I'm guessing this stuff is very early versions yet, so expecting improvements are going to keep happening. But at a first glance...

I couldn't use Spirit for any real world projects now. There are obvious issues with the built-in styling - blog list dates aren't contained and run over the post titles. There's a roll-over effect or two that changes font-face and styling and seems a bit ugly. The styling of core widgets like search is ugly and would need work to make consistent with the rest of the theme.

In general terms, Upfront seems ambitious and clever. The Upfront editor really could work for end-users without much technical know-how, and this could be a challenger for services like SquareSpace.

But underneath that, I'm kind of alarmed at how different it is to the inherent WordPress models and data types. The site you're editing in the Upfront editor seems different to the site in your WP dashboard. WordPress is a coherent whole. WP+Upfront is two systems that conflict and over-write each other.

It's not a very pretty picture right now. Upfront doesn't seem to build nicely on WordPress. Instead it tries to barge in front and pretend WordPress isn't there much. Not to mention tag soup :S

Just my first thoughts, anyways. Definitely appreciate the efforts, and keen to see how Upfront develops. Maybe I could use Upfront for prototyping visuals for now...

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there,

It's been in the making for over two years, it of course one of the first public releases and it's also under constant development too. :slight_smile:

I couldn't use Spirit for any real world projects now. There are obvious issues with the built-in styling - blog list dates aren't contained and run over the post titles.

There are two ways this could be fixed easily, one is using a shorter date:

Admin --> General

Change Date Format to something like M j, Y, this will then be for example Feb 26, 2015. That should fit much nicer.

Another option, this time CSS, we could move the date to the left a little:

.blog-archive.uposts-object li.uf-post .date_posted {
    margin-left: -50px;
    }

Or we could move the main content part over a little:

.blog-archive.uposts-object li.uf-post .title, #page .blog-archive.uposts-object li.uf-post .post_categories, #page .blog-archive.uposts-object li.uf-post .author, #page .blog-archive.uposts-object li.uf-post .comment_count, #page .blog-archive.uposts-object li.uf-post .content, #page .blog-archive .uposts-object li.uf-post .thumbnail {
    margin-left: 120px;
    }

I'm also going to get this reported to our developers too :slight_smile:

There's a roll-over effect or two that changes font-face and styling and seems a bit ugly.

I'm not sure what or where you refer too here, could you please provide some screenshots of it happening, and maybe clarify a little further.

The styling of core widgets like search is ugly and would need work to make consistent with the rest of the theme.

Could you please also include a screenshot of that so I can be sure what you're seeing.

It's not a very pretty picture right now. Upfront doesn't seem to build nicely on WordPress. Instead it tries to barge in front and pretend WordPress isn't there much.

The whole idea of Upfront is that it's upfront, design, layout, content. Of course if there issues like the ones you mentioned above, we want to hear about them. User experience is very important, before we pushed the project live we did a fair bit of user testing with various members in an aim to try and get it perfect or as near as we could. If there are oversights and issues we've missed, we'd love to address those.

Thank you very much for all your feedback here, looking forward to seeing those screenshots.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.