Upfront / Spirit - new try, help needed

Hi Folks,

had to do a simple website and thought it would be a good chance to give upfront another try :slight_smile:

I started with the "Spirit" child theme and modified it. so far, so good. But now I am stuck with some problems:

1.) the posts-page has an element containing the posts. some of the modifications available are clear (in the upfront menu), but I can´t change the date format. it shows day + month, but my customer wants the year as well. I could do some slight mods with the css, but not adding the year of the entry.

How can I add the year to it?

2.) can I create and / or edit elements and grouped elements? like I would like to make "read more" in a button style instead of text only (makes it more visible); I would like to add "Tags" ahead of the tags and "Category" ahead of the category showing up.

If I use the "posts" element of Upfront (drag and drop), it shows the complete date and time.
I would like to get rid of the time here (and add the year to the spirit post page).

3.) I continued with translating Upfront to german, but some parts are not translating on the site.

Like: "written by", the "date", "read more", "comments", "click to change" (Form/Captcha)

I really like the concept of Upfront, but there is still a long way ahead.

Any tips and help is welcome :slight_smile:
thanks, Harald

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Harald,

I hope you have a nice day and I'm really happy that you decided to give Upfront another try!

1.) the posts-page has an element containing the posts. some of the modifications available are clear (in the upfront menu), but I can´t change the date format. it shows day + month, but my customer wants the year as well. I could do some slight mods with the css, but not adding the year of the entry.

To change date format for post/page in spirit please follow these steps:

- open any post in your browser and enter "Upfront" mode
    - click on post tile
    - click on "Edit elements"
    - click on "day" part of date
    - click on "Settings" (gray "gear" icon on top edge of element) for that element (the day of date)
    - in Upfront panel select date format from "Date Format" field
    - "Save Element"
    - remove unnecessary "month part" from layout
    - save layout ("For all posts of this type":wink:.

Take a look at screenshot below please:

2.) can I create and / or edit elements and grouped elements? like I would like to make "read more" in a button style instead of text only (makes it more visible); I would like to add "Tags" ahead of the tags and "Category" ahead of the category showing up.

You still can't add "custom" elements to Upfront but since 1.x release elements feature handy "Presets" mode where you can control some aspects of elements "look&feel" visually and also where you can add your own CSS rules that will affect only that element (or all elements that use that preset). You can add your own presets - therefore you can e.g. style the "read more" link the way it will look like a nice button.

There are however ready to use "Post elements" and you can use them to add tags to post. To do this, please

- open any post in your browser and enter "Upfront" editor mode
    - switch "Upfront" panel "Draggable Elements" from "Layout" to "Data"
    - drag "Categories" element and drop it on page where you'd like tags to appear
    - click on that element and then on "Settings" (gray "gear" icon) for it
    - in Upfront panel select "tags only" preset from drop down list

If I use the "posts" element of Upfront (drag and drop), it shows the complete date and time.
    I would like to get rid of the time here (and add the year to the spirit post page).

I explained how you can add year to Spirit's post date above and for any "Posts" element you can change date format in similar fashion - by editing "Post Parts" settings in the Upfront panel

3.) I continued with translating Upfront to german, but some parts are not translating on the site.

I believe some small parts may be "untranslatable" as they're fetched by ajax from javascripts but there shouldn't be many of them. It would be really great and helpful if you could make a list of all these untranslatable elements and share it with me once you're done with the translation. I'll then forward it to Upfront developers and they'll take care of it.

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• freigeist.photography

Thank you, Adam

I could do it on most pages, but not on a single post. the only options I see on a single post are "show featured image" and "full size" and the advanced option (padding). Is it hardcoded to the theme template?

I could translate the text by editing the html (didn´t think on this the first time, didn´t see the option there), but not the date - its still english.

thanks, harald

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.