upfront theme compatibility with MarketPress

I am using the Upfront theme "Scribe" on a website which has already been promoted live.

MarketPress was already in use on the site with a different theme in the past. It wasn't until we went live that we realized the product pages no longer have an "add to cart" button.

Here is the products page (which DOES work):
https://www.tedhalone.com/store-3/products/

If you click on any product to go to the details page for that product, however, you get this:
https://www.tedhalone.com/store-3/products/wig-spray-with-sunscreen/

It has a date (which we don't want - it's useless information), no images, no add to cart, no price, etc.

Also, these pages have a different menu than the rest of the site. I have no idea where that came from

I need to know what I can do to fix this. I was told in a support chat that Upfront did not yet have MarketPress compatibility and that opening a ticket like this was the best next step for me.

I can't imagine why the flagship theme would be incompatible with the flagship e-commerce solution from the same outfit, but that's another matter.

Top priority for me right now is giving my customer back the e-commerce pages he had in the previous version of his website.

I am also concerned how this could possibly happen and would like to make sure the WPMU community is protected from this kind of oversight.

• Dimitris

Hey there soundconcept,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

It is true that there's no compatibility for MarketPress in UpFront theme at the moment. That leads to broken single product pages like the one you're experiencing.
    But the development on getting this implemented in UpFront is one of the current jobs of our dev team so this is going to be released pretty soon.
    As the launch of the WooCommerce compatibility came with previous UF version (this was the most wanted by our members, as expressed in forums and other contact channels), our next goal couldn't be anything else than MarketPress compatibility.
    Unfortunately, I can't give you an ETA for this, subscribing to our blog it would be the wisest choice for that. :wink:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello soundconcept!

We decided to introduce WooCommerce compatibility first because there was a significant demand for this. The MarketPress compatibility is on its way and should be released really soon.

I have tried to check your site but I'm not able to access the one in question (it's a part of multisite and your setup doesn't let me in). Please follow these steps then:

1. Make sure that you are logged in to the site in question as an admin
    2. open the product details page in browser (any product but it's important to open it before entering Upfront editor mode)
    3. once it's loaded, click "Upfront" in an admin toolbar so an Upfront editor would be started on this very page
    4. Hover over post content (it should show you some random/recent post from "blog") and click on "Settings" icon (gray "gear" icon)
    5. in Upfront panel on the left switch to "Post Parts Settings" section
    6. disable checkboxes for:
    - date posted
    - author
    - gravatar
    - comment count
    - read more

7. make sure that these checkboxes are enabled:
    - featured image
    - title
    - content
    - categories (this is optional)
    - meta (this is optional)
    - tags (this is optional)

8. Expand the "General Settings" section above the "Post Parts Settings" section and...
    9. switch "Result Length" to "Full Post" instead of "Excerpt"

Once this is done use "Save Element" button and then save "Upfront". You will be prompted whether you would like to save settings for "this post only" or for "all posts of this type" so select "all posts of this type" option.

This should fix the product details page view for now. It's a workaround but should do the job. Give it a try please and let me know if it worked for you.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there johnnymestizo,

hope you're doing good and thanks for joining us! :slight_smile:

I'm afraid that the issue described here is happening with Scribe and Parrot child themes.

soundconcept, I can't tell the extend of work already made in Scribe but you can also try another child theme apart from Parrot, if you don't want to proceed with Adam's proposal and waiting for the full MP integration in Upfront.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• soundconcept

Thank you for your help, Adam - here and in the support chat!

Here is where we left it:

Page(s) in question:
    https://www.tedhalone.com/store-3/products/wig-spray-with-sunscreen/
    (and other product pages)

1.) The nav is still not the normal nav used in the rest of the site.
    2.) no "add to cart" button
    3.) changes made to this page (template?) are not applied to other product pages
    4.) (minor point) if we could take off the text "(tax excl.)" from the price, that would be excellent - I think people know they have to pay sales tax :slight_smile:

lastly, if you could "teach me how to fish" (i.e. where these templates live and how to change them), that would be excellent!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello soundconcept!

The changes made to this page were not applied to other products because I applied them to this page only :slight_smile: I did that on purpose because I wanted to make sure first that the changes that I made would work.

Getting back to the issue though.

I have accessed the site again and now the store should work. What I did was exactly what I suggested in my post here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upfront-theme-compatibility-with-marketpress#post-1172262

with two exceptions (or rather - additional steps that turned out to be necessary):

1. When editing product page I have first to remove the default content from page in Upfront editor and then add a "Posts" module from "Draggable elements". You will not need to do this again as I have applied changes to all product posts this time (so now all the products in the shop should work the same way).

2. I had to add following CSS rule to the "Global Theme CSS" (at the end of it):

.single .uf-post {max-height:initial!important};

That's because on your site the content area was set to be no more than 400 pixels in height so that was just hiding the "Add to cart" button and product description.

The shop should work now. It's not too pretty but it can be further styled with CSS.

Where are the templates? The point is to first open the product page (or other store page) in browser and then enable Upfront editor on it, not otherwise because you won't be able to find these pages anywhere.

As for the menu. The "broken" parts are related to the store (e.g. product categories) and at this moment this will not work well. Instead of putting for example drop-down menu with store categories you could just link to a page that would list store categories.

An Upfront update will include MarketPress compatibility update and this would be fix. Also, no "workarounds" such as this from this thread should be necessary.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.