Upfront Theme Header and Footer Is Missing On Jobs and Experts Pages

With Gillie theme header and footer is not showing on Jobs and Experts pages just like it is showing on default post or pages.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Dr. Berge,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

In order to add header to your expert pages (single expert, where it's missing), follow these steps:

1. Enter the site for editing in Upfront Editor

2. Click on "Posts/Pages" link in Upfront sliding panel

3. in a post/pages list popup switch to "CPTs" section and find any expert profile there (that might be any randomly chosen expert) and select it for editing

4. Scroll the page all the way up and click on "Edit background" icon in top-right corner there;

5. Click on a circle + icon over top edge to add a new region there

6. In region popup switch to "Choose from Global Regions" and from the list select header, then click "Add region".

7. In Upfront sliding panel click "OK" and then click "Update"

8. A popup will show up so select "All posts of this type" there

That's it :slight_smile: To add footer follow the same steps except add region at the bottom of the page and select "footer" from region list. You can then do the same with any of the existing jobs.

There's no need to do this for all the experts and jobs separately, as in step 8 you are applying changes to all the posts of that same custom post type (jbp_expert and jbp_job in this case, accordingly).

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Adam

• Dr48
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Adam,

I’ve completed the above (thank you for helping!) though just checked the site (live) and notice there is an error display in the header and pages aren’t showing as they were? I’m not sure what’s occurred as I only changed the layout of the expert and job initial section (under the header) — could you please let me know what’s happened here? :disappointed:

Thank you!

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Dr. Berge,

Looks like this warning is coming from a Membership 2 plugin, and I was partially able to replicate the issue by disabling all the profile fields like on your installation.

I wasn’t able to pinpoint the exact cause but I will create a bug report for our developers to investigate it further.

In the meantime, I suggest hiding the errors on your site so they are not shown to site visitors.

You can do this in your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) by replacing define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

This will hide the errors from your site but WP will still record them and save it inside debug.log file inside your wp-content folder.

Best regards,

Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Dr. Berge,

Little update here, while I was reporting this in I actually notice that the error was only similar and caused by one of the mu-plugins I have on my installation, after removing that I was unable to see the error anymore so it turns out this is not a bug :slight_frown:

Could you please check if there’s perhaps a conflict on your site as well, you can do this by disabling your other plugins and checking if the error is gone?

Let us know how it goes, but regardless of the result you should still use the above mentioned code to store your errors in the log file instead of showing them on site.

Best regards,

Predrag

• Dr48

Hi Predrag,

Thank you for the help! I am not familiar with accessing the .php file — the biggest note here is that the “error” that is appearing, only happened “After” this issue was fixed. That is, prior to help (here) this was not occurring (nor showing). The only action that was done was quite literally a few images added to the CPT pages. So, I’m guessing there is something not quite behaving in the ‘add header’ steps (which was incredibly helpful nonetheless!) and there are no new plugins — the query noted refers to CSS line 1512 so I can’t help but wonder if this CSS in the global CSS fields has something to do with this? >> Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/topicthr/public_html/*****.com/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-membership.php on line 1512

Hopefully this can be resolved soon especially since it came out of the blue!

Thank you kindly.

• Dr48

side note: the menu has since disappeared, too — and since this was related to the ‘add header’ on the virtual pages, I can’t help but think this may be related?

Honestly as it came out of no where and I’m really unsure, I’m asking for help!

Thank you again, kindly.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi @drb39210!

I have double-checked your site again. The error is strictly related to Membership 2 Pro. The “add header/footer” procedure was proper and it worked fine, your CSS doesn’t affect that too.

If you disable the Membership 2 Pro the error is gone and the menu and full layout is back on site. However, like my colleague Predrag, I wasn’t able to replicate that on my test setup as well. That suggests that it’s something specific to the specifics of your site’s configuration.

In fact, that is just a warning, not an actual error (there’s a difference between errors, warnings and notices in PHP) and as such it may turn out that it doesn’t affect the way site works at all. What I mean is: PHP might have error reporting option configured in a different way on different server and as a result the script may be working exactly the same but on one server it will show some warnings and on the other one it won’t.

Having that said, here’s what I would do:

1. First, please perform a full plugin conflict test (as suggested by Predrag). To do this:

– disable all the plugins on site except Membership 2 Pro

– clear all caches and check the site

– if the issue still appears, we know it’s not a conflict

– if it doesn’t appear proceed as follows:

a) enable one of the plugins back

b) check the site again

c) if the issue still doesn’t appear, repeat a) and b) with other plugins one by one until the issue happens again.

This way, you’ll be able to find the most probable culprit – that would be the last plugin you activated before the issue started to happen again.

If the conflict test doesn’t bring any results, I would actually tend to assume that this is a matter of aforementioned PHP error reporting settings. In that case, it would be best to enable WP debugging and set it to write to file instead of the screen and then just use the site, keeping a close eye on how the Membership 2 Pro plugin works (if you experience any issues with it, which we would then investigate again).

You mentioned that you don’t quite know how to deal with .php. I’ll be glad to help you set that WP debugging (adding lines to the wp-config.php file as described by Predrag previously) but I would need to have access to your server. If you agree, please put either FTP or cPanel access credentials to the text box under the “Access active for 3 days” green button on “WPMU DEV -> Support” page in your site’s back-end.

Please also extend the access for couple more days (so it wouldn’t expire before I’ll be able to get back to the site) and let me know here when it’s done.

Best regards,

Adam

• Dr48

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the detailed reply!

Please bare with me whilst I try to keep up..

The issues that have “popped up” out of the blue since the header/footer changes are —

+ Header updates ‘done’ though now not showing and the sizing appears all skewed.

+ Mobile function of site is also skewed — quite the disaster (was fine).

+ Membership List page blank (though this appears to clearly be a fault with the set up of the plugin)?

+ Credit ‘click here’ link should go to store but revert back to Membership List.

+ Membership function/role of ‘post job’ requiring ‘credit’ not tying together (can do so without)

+ HTML email automated email (this was checked yesterday however now when a user goes to sign up there is no email etc as support (here) turned all the profile fields off etc (?)

andddd…..this is my fault, but the site was not backed up prior to now, so as inclined as I am to do a restore so these incidents have never occurred, sadly this isn’t an option.

There is definitely something funky between Membership2, HTML email, and Jobs/Experts Membership (default) functionality…

Support has been extended and cPanel sent through…

I’ll go ahead and run a plugin test and report back here what comes…

Thank you kindly Adam!

• Dr48

Good news — Membership2 is the culprit — plugin test was just run and everything was fine accept for when Membership2 was activated. I have deactivated this until the issue is resolved.

The only ‘bad’ is the headers that were initially done i.e to inset the menu/header area to virtual pages has been lost, so I can’t rule out that from being related, however it seems with that aspect no longer there, and with Membership2 active, the errors are occurring (so, this looks like the problem).

Can we fix this? Essentially Membership2 is being used to provide a default membership (free) that then directs users to the ‘store’ (for option payments); also, Membership2 layout is preferred over the WP main layout, so this is another reason why it’s being used — there is no ‘membership’ for its use though here, only to be used as a default membership and then for the appropriate links to connect to the store.

Hopefully this helps and can easily be resolved now :slight_smile:

Thanks Adam, greatly appreciated.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello @drb39210!

Thank you for getting back to me with all these information.

Some of these issues are definitely related directly to the warning message. If such a message is displayed, the message itself breaks the site. So, solving that should solve at least some other issues as well.

As for the Membership 2 Pro being a culprit. I’ve tested the same set of plugins: Membership 2 Pro. Jobs&Experts with Gillie theme on my own setup and couldn’t replicate this but your test confirms the Membership 2 Pro issue so I believe it’s specific to the setup or server and I’ll investigate it.

However, unfortunately, access credentials to cPanel that you provided me with, doesn’t work for me. I tried to access via siteground.com as I believe you are hosting with siteground but all I had was “login failed’. Could you please double-check those credentials and update them in “WPMU DEV -> Support” page text box and also add a link to where from should I try to login to cPanel?

Thanks!

Adam

PS. Don’t post any credentials here, please, but do let me know here when you’re ready.

• Dr48

Hi Adam,

Thanks again — the login credentials have been updated (they were ‘just’ cPanel, but now login has been added, too).

As for everything else — the site is behaving ‘normal’ again BESIDES the login feature of Membership2 where users need to be redirected (and then, the links therein to be redirected to the store i.e. to post via Jobs/Expert plugin) — at the moment it is ‘open’ without this, so hopefully there’s a smooth fix, but yes, Membership2 has something funky going on with these pairings :disappointed:

Thank you again for your help Adam.

Note — no warnings are shown UNLESS Membership2 is active, and features behave as so UNLESS Membership2 is activated. So, Membership2 needs to be flagged :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello @drb39210!

Thank you for updating access credentials. I’ve been able to login to cPanel this time and I added the lines that were suggested here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upfront-theme-header-and-footer-is-missing-on-jobs-and-experts-pages#post-1307796 to the “wp-config.php” file of your site.

The warning is gone from the site now (so no longer breaks the site) and the /memberships page seem fine now too.

Could you double-check the site with Membership 2 Pro enabled (I left it network-enabled) and let me know if it’s now working fine, please?

Best regards,

Adam

• Dr48

Hi Adam,

Tested the membership and it looks like everything is back to normal! Phew :slight_smile: That’s great, I was getting worried! Thank you so very much for being persistent and working it out, I really appreciate it!!!

Thank you very much!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.