Upfront Theme Little Bugs and Questions.

Hey guys I love the concept of Upfront, and I have found a little bug that I talked about in a thread here about a plugin conflict with Amazon s3 but I came across a few other bugs, or maybe they are just things I haven't figured out yet.

1: The background has an option for a video background, but if I click on it, nothing happens. A lot of my clients are really big into the video backgrounds and this would be great to see working.

2: Kind of an annoyance more than anything else, but I have a 19" monitor with 1366x768 resolution on my laptop and the "dragable" sections in the sidebar are short and "scrolly" and there is a lot of real estate at the bottom of that section that could be used. Incidentally if I zoom out the browser to 90% then it expands and fills the height of the screen. (I'll add a screen shot)

3: Does the code section drag-and-drop allow for php? I tired something basic like <?php the_title();?> and I didn't see anything happen.

4: How do I make templates like the traditional theme structure ie. a standardized page layout and design, a standardized post layout etc. In other words I see there is a way to make a global header but how can I make a global structure, maybe even using some advanced features like, a featured "hero" image in the header or use of custom fields from a custom post type or something like that.

I'm asking because I can see the value of me using upfront to create client designs, and making my templates using some of my customizations to the code, and then give the client the easy ability to change things like colors or fonts using the front end editor.

If each of these should be a different thread I'll gladly break them apart.

Thanks!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jnkfrancis,

Thanks a lot for reporting these :slight_smile:

1: The background has an option for a video background, but if I click on it, nothing happens. A lot of my clients are really big into the video backgrounds and this would be great to see working.

This is fixed and is just waiting to be pushed out with the next update :slight_smile: should be soon.

2: Kind of an annoyance more than anything else, but I have a 19" monitor with 1366x768 resolution on my laptop and the "dragable" sections in the sidebar are short and "scrolly" and there is a lot of real estate at the bottom of that section that could be used. Incidentally if I zoom out the browser to 90% then it expands and fills the height of the screen. (I'll add a screen shot)

I see the same behaviour as you on this as well, I've flagged it for the developer so we can look into the optimizing the space there.

3: Does the code section drag-and-drop allow for php? I tired something basic like <?php the_title();?> and I didn't see anything happen.

The code section doesn't support PHP, this was a conscious decision as placing php in like that would be bad practice and could very easily take your site down with even just a small syntax error.

4: How do I make templates like the traditional theme structure ie. a standardized page layout and design, a standardized post layout etc. In other words I see there is a way to make a global header but how can I make a global structure, maybe even using some advanced features like, a featured "hero" image in the header or use of custom fields from a custom post type or something like that.

Global page structure isn't currently possible; however, it is something we're looking into. You will be able to create a post layout though, when you post it will ask you if you want to save the layout just for the one post or for all your posts :slight_smile:

We've thought about making unlimited global regions, instead of just footer/header, but it will take a lot of development to implement that so might be a little ways out yet. If that is the route we go.

Hope this helps! and thanks for reporting the issues.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

• jnkfrancis

Thanks for the response. So tell me if my understanding of the application of upfront is accurate:

It is best deployed for people who want to build a site with limited number of pages (since they will have to manually build every page from scratch)but have creative control over those pages, but it can have a consistent layout and design for posts.

Is there a way to implement some advanced techniques that require PHP insertion like using custom fields or conditional statements? Are there possible hooks that developers could use to insert custom code?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.