Upfront theme pages do not seem to have any relation with pages in Wordpress

What is the relationship between pages in Upfront / Scribe theme, and the pages in the dashboard of my website - they do not seem to match up.

Also, while in Upfront editor, if I click the "little running man" I get the page I was on (ABOUT) without the Upfront editor, and if I then click "Edit Page" in the top bar I'm taken to the Wordpress page editor in my wordpress dashboard for the page About and the content there bears no resemblance to the page I was on previously.

My main concern here is that my users are going to be completely confused on how to edit content. I would rather they did not have to mess with Upfront and were able to use the simple page editor in their wordpress dashboard.

• Atkotech

Upfront is designed to edit your sites theme. The idea is that you design your site using Upfront then once you are happy with how it looks then you would not use it again. Maybe the addition of new features or a new plugin might require you to use it to ensure the plugin displays how you want it in your site but it isn't meant to be as an editor. The running man in the corner is the exit icon so you would click that to exit Upfront & return to your site.

If you click the Edit Page or Edit Post on a single page or post it will take you to the Wordpress Editor to edit your content. This is because the edit link is there to edit content not to edit layout. To edit your site layout you would click on Customize in your Admin Panel. A normal user would not be able to access the Customize option. Hope this helps.

• Aicee Taguilaso

Hi joe! :slight_smile:

Thanks for asking that!

I had to asked one of the developers of Upfront to explain this better.

So pages in Upfront seldom show the page *content* (the content one would enter in WP Admin). But the pre-configured ones usually don't. Members are using Upfront elements instead, because they're meant to fulfill a specific purpose (e.g. a contact page, about page...) with strict design. A random page (i.e. any other page that's not one of the "special" ones for a theme - these are usually things like "about", "contact", "blog"/"news", etc) will show its contents normally, just like a post would. :slight_smile:

Basically, each child theme comes with a set of "special" pages. These pages are then treated more like an "endpoint" than an actual page - kind of like BuddyPress creates pages and then uses them for their own purpose.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have additional questions. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Aicee

• joe

Yes, I understand this, but how do I prevent an appointed Editor from accessing Upfront.
    There is a link to it on the top Wordpress admin bar in the Editor's dashboard. The WPMU Branding plugin seems unable to remove it.

I will setup the website, but editors , contributors etc must be able to edit content without getting access to Upfront where they will without a doubt mess things up.

I'm using different computers and a combination of different browsers on each (Chrome, Firefox, Opera) to make sure this is not a cache or cookie issue. For example, Main site admin and the editor are using different computers and browsers.

Upfront is way too complicated for my average user - I want to keep them in the Wordpress page editing environment.

I see another problem - if we are somehow able to lose the upfront menu item from the top admin bar in the Wordpress Dashboard, there is then this dire warning to consider in Wordpress page editing...

WARNING! If you select Page Template, Upfront Layout for this page will be deleted permanently!

Users will not know what Upfront is and we have the potential for execution of the above Page Template selection and resulting Upfront Layout that I have created as site admin being deleted.

This warning only appears when Pages > Edit, or New Page is selected in Wordpress editor, it does not appear when Quick edit is selected, although the facility to select a page template is present in both.

So, what happens?

• Atkotech

If you don't need your Editors to have access to the admin bar then you could try using the Easy Blogging plugin. There is an option for you to force roles to use the Easy Mode. In the Easy Mode Settings on the same page where you select the roles to force there is an option to hide the admin bar in Easy Mode. The plugin shows the new post, my posts, edit post, etc, all the options you would expect for Editors. On the subject of Pages, could you not prevent Editors from Pages automatically? Personally speaking I only use pages for static content - example, an About page or detailing Services or things like that. Every day posts by Editors would be just that, they would be using posts only. Hope this helps.

• Carlen

I am not sure if this is where to post this, or a new post is better, but...

I have been having this confusing conversation with upfront as well. Some people love it, others are scared enough by Wordpress alone.

For hiding upfront I'd suggest Adminimize. It's helped me clean up sites for the non-techie quite well.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/adminimize/

Asside from being able to turn off upfront, I wonder if one of these could help the issue of confusion (which has been my biggest bit of feedback as I set up sites for people)

A: There could be a wordpress editor "element." This element would pull from the Wordpress content associated with that page. This way one could mix upfront elements with the Wordpress editor system in a logical way without having to choose one or the other, and restricted access could be implemented either with an upgrade or using something like Adminimize.

B: Bring the elements into the page editor the way Divi does (and other editor programs), so one could use upfront instead of the Wordpress editor on a page content by page content basis without accedentially adjusting any global elements. Essentially having upfront replace tinymce editor in the page/post editor without logging into the entire upfront editing where one sees complete website development.

C: A better warning/guiding system so if a page should be edited in upfront rather than Wordpress it is very apparent and people don't mess up there page acedentially.

• Aicee Taguilaso

Hi Joe!

I'm very sorry for the delay here. :slight_frown:
    Just to clarify, I haven't mark this as closed yet.

To hide the Upfront button/link to your users with Editor roles, please create an mu-plugin with this code, name the plugin to whatever you want, and put it inside your /wp-content/mu-plugins folder, if you haven't had one, just create that folder (mu-plugins):

<?php

add_action( 'admin_head', 'my_custom_css' );
    function my_custom_css() {
        if( current_user_can('editor') ) {
            ?>
            <style>
                li#wp-admin-bar-upfront-edit_layout {
                    display: none;
                }
            </style>
            <?php
        }
    }

To be able to display such Warning message, try using the solution posted on these blogs:
    http://wptheming.com/2011/08/admin-notices-in-wordpress/
    http://www.wprecipes.com/wordpress-tip-add-a-custom-message-to-the-editing-pane
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/notes-reminders-wordpress/

Thank you for your suggestions. I'd suggest the same as what @coremedia said, on posting your suggestions in the feedback for the Upfront Theme. But I'll move this to the Features & Feedback section too.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.
    Have a great weekend! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Aicee

• Aicee Taguilaso

Hi there, joe! Hope you're well today!

I'm sorry I misunderstood. So just to clarify again, you're saying that when the Upfront button was hidden, you're getting that warning notice? Is that correct?

Would you mind sharing a screenshot on where it's displaying? Also, how did you try to hide the Upfront button?

I tried using the code I posted above before, and I'm not getting that Warning notice.

Looking forward to your response!

Cheers,
    Aicee

• joe

Having completed some other projects I can now return to ongoing issues with Upfront.

As suggested earlier in this thread to hide the Upfront link from the front of the website the code below was suggested. It does not work.

Also, an addition of custom css in the Ultimate Branding plugin to hide warning messages about Upfront does not work either.

<?php

?>
            <style>
                }
            </style>
            <?php
        }
    }
    .wrap .error {
    }
  • Aicee Taguilaso

Hi @joe! Hope you had a great weekend!

Would you mind sending me your credentials so I can test it on your site? If it's okay, you can send them here in our private contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

IMPORTANT: Make sure to select "I have a different question" for the topic and kindly send in the following:

Subject: "Attn: Aicee"
    -WordPress admin (login url/username/password)
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Please let me know once you send them in. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Aicee

• joe

This is becoming a farce - I entered all of the details on your private contact form only to get this error "Image captcha validation failed", - twice !
    I can guarantee the five letters and digits entered were exactly as shown in the captcha.

I'm only persevering with this because I like WPMU, but I am also coming to the conclusion that Upfront is not production level ready as yet. No doubt it will be soon but I just don't see it yet.

• joe

Aicee, thank you for trying to help, but whether or not the contact form worked for you is not really relevant, because it did not work for me, twice ! The captchas are not complex and I know I entered them correctly.

I carried out your previous instructions precisely with the mu-plugins folder and the added css, but the warning about Upfront persists in the dashboard page editor even with the Easy Blogging plugin, and the link to Upfront still appears on the website frontend at the top of the page.

To sum up, with Easy Blogging enabled the dashboard menu makes no mention of Upfront to a multisite sub-domain administrator or editor, this is good, but when they click in to manage a page there is a huge warning about Upfront, and immediately the confusion begins.

When they visit the frontend of their sub-domain there is also a menu item to Upfront and this makes it even more confusing for a user who knows nothing about Upfront as it does not appear on their Dashboard Menu.

I have to say that I tried out another "builder" with all of the features of Upfront and it worked right out of the box, no warnings, no frontend menu, absolutely nothing to confuse my end user.

What am I suppose to do?

I must take care of other business now.
    At what time will you be available to investigate this matter.

• Aicee Taguilaso

Hi Joe!

I wanted to ask for credentials as I have tried those codes I sent to you before on my own site, and they're working fine on my site. But, of course, I know that you do have another setup, with other plugins activated, so I want to check your site/backend, so I could test and give some codes to you to hide those warning message and menu. I am available today for couple of hours as we speak. :slight_smile:

I really wanted to help you on this, so let me know if it's okay to you for me to check and test codes on your site.

Cheers,
    Aicee

• joe

OK, we will give it one last attempt in 22 hours time.

I'm trying to remain a loyal WPMU customer and I appreciate your assistance, but when I find another builder in less than 10 minutes searching that does everything Upfront does, and more importantly does so without any problems, I have to question the situation.

One of the selling points of WPMU is the guarantee that things "simply work", "guaranteed", and that's why wherever possible I use WPMU plugins as I expect them not to conflict with each other.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @joe, thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

With the help of my colleague @Jose, we were able to remove that "Warning" notice you mentioned courtesy of this code:

function remove_upfront_admin_pagetemplate_notice(){
       $tag = 'admin_notices';
       $priority = 10;

if(is_array($GLOBALS['wp_filter'][ $tag ][ $priority ])){
           foreach($GLOBALS['wp_filter'][ $tag ][ $priority ] as $key => $hook){
               if( strpos($key, 'pagetemplate_notice')){
                   unset( $GLOBALS['wp_filter'][ $tag ][ $priority ][ $key ] );
               }
           }
       }
    }
    add_action('init', 'remove_upfront_admin_pagetemplate_notice', 100);

As for hiding the "Upfront" menu item on the front end, I just had to add in this bit of code:

add_action('wp_head','my_custom_css');

So now, your lose-upfront.php script inside of the mu-plugins folder looks like this:

<?php

?>
            <style>
                }
            </style>
            <?php
        }
    }

$tag = 'admin_notices';
       $priority = 10;

if(is_array($GLOBALS['wp_filter'][ $tag ][ $priority ])){
               }
           }
       }
    }

How does it look on your end now? :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

Edit: If it all looks good on your end, then please feel free to reset the login credentials, please leave them unchanged otherwise if there's still something out of place. :slight_smile:

• joe

Hi Michael, looking good here.
    I also quickly tested the lines

substituting administrator for editor and it seems to be working ok.

I hope you understand my eagerness to make the page editing features of the sub-domains as simple as possible

Many thanks to you and Jose. I appreciate the effort.
    I reckon I need a crash course in PHP but I seem to spend most of my time managing server networks and never seem to have the time.
    It's on my to-do list :slight_smile:

• joe

I'm afraid I have one further question.

The warning notice has gone for sure, but it is also gone for a super administrator who can view the Page Attributes section. Does this mean should a super admin make a change in page attributes the Upfront layout changes will be lost?

I ask this because there will be more than one super admin who will obviously be unaware that a warning message has been removed.

• joe

This is a real shame, especially after all the hard work that was done, in addition to the problem noted above, an Upfront link does not appear in the admin bar for Super Admin either in dashboard or on the site frontend. It seems we have gone for overkill and succeeded.

I also came across a forum post where a file was given to update Upfront and this was only a few days ago on the 12th July.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upfront-theme-support-question-upfront

For my own situation its great we managed to hide Upfront from users who I do not want messing with it, but it loses its appeal when Super Admins can't get at it easily.

Having been trying to get this sorted out for almost a month I'm wondering if I'm just wasting time and would be better served using something else that I know works. In less than 24 hours I have gone from elation that my issues with Upfront had finally been solved to despair as I realise it is not working as it should do.

Is there anyone willing to take ownership of this problem?

• Michael Bissett

Hey @joe,

Does this mean should a super admin make a change in page attributes the Upfront layout changes will be lost?

That is correct. :slight_smile:

I ask this because there will be more than one super admin who will obviously be unaware that a warning message has been removed.

That's where you'll want to alter your lose-upfront.php script, so that it looks like this:

<?php

if( !is_super_admin() && current_user_can('manage_options') ) {
            ?>
            <style>
                }
            </style>
            <?php
        }
    }

$tag = 'admin_notices';
       $priority = 10;

if(!is_super_admin() && is_array($GLOBALS['wp_filter'][ $tag ][ $priority ])){
               }
           }
       }
    }

I've found this to work over on my own test Multisite, so it should work on yours. I'd have tested it there, but due to the credentials being reset, this wasn't possible.

Let me know if this helps please! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• joe

Hi Michael, that new code surely allows super admin to see the warning., but only super admins can see the warning and there will be instances where I would want a normal site administrator to see the warning as their site might not be using the Easy Blogging plugin, and as a normal administrator would see the Page Attributes section they need to be warned.

In summary, I need Super Admins to always see the warning, but I need the flexibility to choose whether a normal site administrator will see the warning based on whether they can see and alter Page Attributes.

Does this mean I would have to enable/disable the Easy Blogging plugin on a subdomain by subdomain basis?

• Michael Bissett

Hey @joe,

Try adjusting the code to this please:

<?php

if( !is_super_admin() && !current_user_can('manage_options') ) {
            ?>
            <style>
                    display: none !important;
                }
            </style>
            <?php
        }
    }

$tag = 'admin_notices';
       $priority = 10;

if(!is_super_admin() && !current_user_can('manage_options') && !WDEB_IS_IN_EASY_MODE && is_array($GLOBALS['wp_filter'][ $tag ][ $priority ])){
               }
           }
       }
    }

If that doesn't work, then could you please send in updated login details please (WP Admin & FTP)?

Does this mean I would have to enable/disable the Easy Blogging plugin on a subdomain by subdomain basis?

It would mean that the user would need to be outside of Easy Mode, in order to see the warning message provided by Upfront.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @joe,

Yes, I did receive the details, and have now adjusted the script to read like this:

<?php

if( !is_super_admin() && !current_user_can('manage_options') ) {
            ?>
            <style>
                    display: none !important;
                }
            </style>
            <?php
        }
    }

$tag = 'admin_notices';
       $priority = 10;

if(WDEB_IS_IN_EASY_MODE && is_array($GLOBALS['wp_filter'][ $tag ][ $priority ])){
               }
           }
       }
    }

To touch on your summary:

Super Admins should always see page template warning, and have access to Upfront

Administrators and Editors should only see warning if they can view and alter Page Attributes.

This is now possible with my tweaks to your script.

I neede to be able to choose the sub-domain sites where either Administrators or Editors can break out of Easy Mode and therefore see warning, page attributes, and
    Upfront.

This would be something that'd either custom development, or, if we're taking the workaround route, custom roles (custom admin & editor roles where Easy Mode isn't forced).

There is no visible method of exiting Easy Mode for a normal Administrator, Editors should not need to exit Easy Mode.

Administrators would need to be able to have the choice of being in Easy Mode or not, as forcing it removes the choosing thereof as an option.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.