Upfront theme usage of 3rd party plugins, Specifically NextGen Gallery

I’m trying to figure out how the Luke + Sara theme is intended to be used. The info written up on the theme is limited about any information on what and how the pages are intended to be used. This would be quite helpful if there was some info in the explanations about what the features are and how the pages were built.
It appears the portfolio page http://demo.upfront.pro/lukesara/portfolio/ is supposed to be there for people to chose an album, but this only takes you to a page that appears to be a blog post. Where do galleries/albums come into play? Similar to the following sample page I’m trying to duplicate. http://summerly.imagely.com/galleries/
I have turned to the NextGen plugin to try and get what I need since there seems to be much more info out there on how to use this plugin for a photography website that is selling and proofing photos for customers.
The only problem is that I can’t figure out how to make the plugin work on one of the pages provided for the Upfront themes. It would be great if there were any kind of videos about modifying these Upfront themes, but I haven’t found any.
I would like to modify the Portfolio page to point to my Albums to and have those links go to the Gallery of choice. I am not sure how to modify the nested pieces for the different galleries they currently point to. Or, maybe the better way is to create an entirely new page to do this using the NextGen plugins that I have purchased? But, How would I use these in the Upfront pages to accomplish something like the following examples from the Imagely Theme pages that use NextGen?
I need to have ecommerce pages where people can buy the prints that already exist
http://summerly.imagely.com/ecommerce/
http://summerly.imagely.com/ecommerce/#gallery/272/1/cart
Also, I need to add the plugin to a page that allows me to create albums/galleries for work that people need to proof work like the pages below.
http://summerly.imagely.com/proofing/
http://summerly.imagely.com/proofing/#gallery/282/1
I can't seem to find any tutorials that would help me to learn how to modify these themes. They seem to be written for someone that understands the menu picks and all the terminology before hand. A video of how these pages were created and can be edited after they exist would go a long ways to help a beginner like me to know what buttons are pushed and when to edit these different fields and grouped entities.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi knobby44,

Hope you're doing well.

Upfront themes have only regular WP posts and it doesn't have portfolio or gallery post type included.
    Portfolio page on theme demo is built by using Gallery draggable element.
    You can create new clean page and then add the Gallery element there and choose which images will be shown.
    When you add Gallery element on a page it will right away ask you if you want to open a lightbox or go to a link, if you choose the second one you can set a link to your custom album pages.
    Also, you can use Gallery element for those albums as well.

I would suggest checking the Upfront documentation here for more info about using the elements and Upfront in general:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/upfront-and-themes/
    We also offer a introduction to Upfront course in our Academy and you check it out here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/academy/courses/introduction-to-upfront-4

NextGen gallery is not fully tested with Upfront so we can't guarantee how these two will work together but I gave it a quick try and it seems that the NextGen shortcodes are working fine when you create new page from backend and add the gallery shortcode in there.

I need to have ecommerce pages where people can buy the prints that already exist

I'm not familiar with how WooCommerce and NextGen gallery are integrated but Upfront does support WooCommerce so if the gallery is simply redirecting to a shop page then adding the gallery as explained above should do the trick.

Also, I need to add the plugin to a page that allows me to create albums/galleries for work that people need to proof work like the pages below.

Is this a part of NextGen gallery as well or you're looking for a solution that will do this for you?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• knobby44
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for the info on the tutorial. It was a bit helpful.

I am not familiar with shortcodes, other than I know they exist, but am not familiar with their usage. Is there any examples or tutorials on how to take advantage of the shortcodes? What is the shortcode you used for NextGen? After you created the page, then you just added the shortcode and it allowed you to modify the gallery name and other info about what images to use? How did you generate the shortcode to start?

So, NextGen has the concept of Albums (something along the line of like an album of different weddings, or an album or my portfolio with different topics to look at a gallery of pictures of different topics like mountains, clouds, etc.) If I am going to have a page for my portfolio, I might display the gallery from the Upfront Gallery to point to the different pages that contain the NextGen galleries ? Am I thinking about this correctly?

Then, my other album, or page with the links to the wedding galleries would use a different template page to create the wedding gallery for someone to browse through. This would be a different style template that I can re-use for each new wedding gallery? So, I would create the template, after uploading the photos, I would create a new page using the NextGen Gallery for my wedding gallery and modify the shortcode to point to the new wedding gallery I uploaded the pictures to for that occasion?

i hope this makes sense, as I am trying to wrap my head around all the different pieces to make this work. So, set up a template for each of the different NextGen galleries I would like to use, then set the information for the shortcodes in there for the template and modify them as i use it to create the new page for the particular new album. I would then have to go into the Album page and add a new upfront gallery element and point to the new page with the added gallery created above? Am I thinking correctly about this?

So in the above image, I may have a page with the 2 different albums, on each of those pages, the respective Galleries would show a thumbnail and when clicked, take you to the Gallery page for that Gallery 1, etc. Is this the correct thinking? Each of the Gallery pages would then have the formmatting from the NextGen shortcode, pointing to the respective pictures to display, correct?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi knobby44,

To be honest I'm not that familiar with NextGen gallery and I'm doing this as we go, so for some more in-depth explanation on how it works it might be better getting in touch with their support, however I'll do my best to explain what I found :slight_smile:

I am not familiar with shortcodes, other than I know they exist, but am not familiar with their usage. Is there any examples or tutorials on how to take advantage of the shortcodes? What is the shortcode you used for NextGen? After you created the page, then you just added the shortcode and it allowed you to modify the gallery name and other info about what images to use? How did you generate the shortcode to start?

The first thing is to actually create your galleries in NextGen, that would be under Gallery > Add Gallery/Images panel.
    Once you have created your galleries you can include them in your page by using shortcodes.
    Now, the NextGen is creating it's own shortcode depending on the options you select.
    So you can go to Pages > Add New and in there you will see Add Gallery button like this:

That will open a popup where you can select your gallery and adjust the options, you can type in the name of the gallery and then add it to page.
    When you click on Insert Gallery button it will add the gallery as a shortcode so there's nothing you need to change in the shortcode itself.

After that just open the page on frontend and your gallery should show up.

So, NextGen has the concept of Albums (something along the line of like an album of different weddings, or an album or my portfolio with different topics to look at a gallery of pictures of different topics like mountains, clouds, etc.) If I am going to have a page for my portfolio, I might display the gallery from the Upfront Gallery to point to the different pages that contain the NextGen galleries ? Am I thinking about this correctly?

You're on point here, you can create multiple pages for your galleries by following the above process and then use another page with Upfront gallery element and link each image to its own page.
    You can do this from Upfront editor, add the gallery element and insert your images, once you hover over a image it will show more options button (three dots), click on that and then you will see a link option so you can link each image to different page:

Then, my other album, or page with the links to the wedding galleries would use a different template page to create the wedding gallery for someone to browse through. This would be a different style template that I can re-use for each new wedding gallery? So, I would create the template, after uploading the photos, I would create a new page using the NextGen Gallery for my wedding gallery and modify the shortcode to point to the new wedding gallery I uploaded the pictures to for that occasion?

Can you tell me a bit more what exactly are the differences between your gallery pages that you are looking for, except for the different images of course?
    When you create a gallery page (as explained above) you can then open it in Upfront editor and add new elements to customize it for that specific page, just make sure that you leave the content element in there as that's the one that's holding the gallery shortcode and shows the images.

I think that above explanations are addressing your other questions as well but if you do any followup questions let me know :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.