UPFRONT THEME VERSIONING

Hi there
I am new to Builder. How can I , properly manage a theme version change in Builder and get it updated adequatly in wordpress appearance -> Theme.

I do not see :
1- How to erase an Upfront Theme or clone an Upfront Theme in the Builder so that I can start from scratch ....
2- How to create a version that get updated wherever the theme is used.
3- It seems that export , then import to do this version change always implies :
a) a failure to install a theme within wordpress because the Original theme directory is already created !
b) a Conflict in Builder if I import the new them version after having manually renamed the original theme directory to another directory name via FTP !

How can I work properly ??
Can you help ?
Thanks
Thierry

• Rupok

Hi Thierry,

Thanks for asking. Let me describe one by one.

How to erase an Upfront Theme or clone an Upfront Theme in the Builder so that I can start from scratch

To erase an Upfront Theme, you will need to go to "Dashboard > Appearance > Themes" section and from there you can delete an Upfront Theme like you delete any other WordPress themes.

To clone an Upfront Theme, you need to login to your server with any FTP application like FileZilla and then copy the whole theme folder with a different name. For example, if you want to copy "Fixer" theme, then go to "/wp-content/themes/" and create a new folder named "uf-fixer2" or anything you want. Then copy all files from inside the "uf-fixer" folder and paste in "uf-fixer2" folder. After this, you will see two Fixer themes if you go to "Dashboard > Appearance > Themes" section or "Dashboard > Upfront > Builder" section.

How to create a version that get updated wherever the theme is used

I'm afraid, Upfront themes don't have any central repository system yet where you release an update and all sites using that theme will get a notification to update that theme automatically from the repository. So I'm afraid, you will need to manually replace the current theme folder with the updated version theme folder on all sites where you want to update your theme.

a failure to install a theme within wordpress because the Original theme directory is already created !

As I said above, Upfront themes don't have a central repository from where you can automatically fetch the update in a native way. So you will need to rename the existing theme directory at first and then upload the updated theme directory.

a Conflict in Builder if I import the new them version after having manually renamed the original theme directory to another directory name via FTP

I tried to regenerate this issue on my test site but I could not. I could see both versions of the theme in "Dashboard > Upfront > Builder" section. Am I missing anything? Can you please help us in regenerating this issue so we can give you a proper solution?

I believe, these will help. Please let us know if you still have any confusion or any further query. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• dubernet

Hi Rupok
      Thanks for the info. Hereafter I described what I did based on what you wrote ( as much as I understood )
      So I created a new version of my theme Coiffure a domicile :
      1-(i.e. I did a change while editing Builder and saved the theme)
      2- I Edited the Theme Info and wrote 1.2 in the Theme version instead of 1.1
      3- I exported it and it gave me a xxx1.2.zip file
      4- I went to the network admin - dashboard -> Appearance ->Theme and deactivated the 1.1 version then deleted the theme .
      5- I added the theme 1.2 version ( which now is installed ) ..( 4 and 5 allow me not to do the FTP step you suggested )
      7- I went to the site monsalon and edited with the Upfront Editor ...
      .... Question : Why is the old 1.1 version theme version still active ? The image representing the theme 1.2 has not even changed ?? did I miss something ??

8- I thought, I am dumb , so I have to check in Builder if the 1.2 version is still activated ...and guess what I have this conflict problem and Builder proposes to fix it by cloning !!
      I have not done it ( here after the screenshot with the message ) . I have not clicked on the cloning bit because I thought that you can have a look and help me to understand where I make the mistake !
      I grant support access/. Thanks to have a look
      Thierry

• apurba_podder

Hello Thierry,
    Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Thanks for granted support access. Actually when you change theme name or give a new name, Upfront builder check that is there any theme with the same name in WordPress org theme repository. Because If you make a theme with same name of WordPress repository theme & the version of WP repository theme is higher than your theme. You will get Update notice by default. Finally If you click on update, your theme will be replaced by the theme of WP repository theme & you will lost your theme.

I have searched a theme with your given name " Coiffure A domicile" . There is no theme with the same name. May be the name is occupied by WordPress.org. So you can see that warning.

Please select a unique name. After giving unique name make sure that "Activate Theme" is checked.

So when click save changes after that it will be activated automatically.

Please Contact us if you need more help.
    Best regards
    Apurba

• Rupok

Hi dubernet,

I do not believe there is another name like my theme ! so I do not see the problem .! I think you have a bug there

So sorry for the inconvenience you are having. Can you please tell us what theme name you are trying to use so we can also try to regenerate this issue? We will report this to our developer as soon as we can regenerate this on our test site.

If you can provide us the steps to regenerate this issue, that will be great. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.