Upfront vs Divi - A Comparison of the Two Please?

I'm debating between using Divi and Upfront... I'm really to the Upfront idea, so I'm hoping someone can help me understand the differences. Some questions, if anyone wouldn't mind... Now, please know that I'm a fan (and long time member) of WPMUDev... So this is not in any way a question of whether or not Upfront is good. But I'm at a crossroads with this site I'm going to start on and I'd like to make an informed decision:

1. Can I just use Upfront or do I have to use one of these six child (starter) themes? Does this mean that I should be making mine a grandchild?
2.Does Upfront play well with WooCommerce? I noticed that none of the child themes seem to have a cart and I saw no mention of ecommerce in the demo descriptions.
3. Is Upfront very similar to Divi? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of one over the other? Are both simply good decisions? When would I choose one over the other?
4. If I ever decide to leave Upfront and use a different theme, do I get all kinds of crazy shortcodes and tags to clean up as is the case with Divi?

Thanks so much for any assistance.

Sincerely,

Tom

• Luís
    • Support

Hi @warpedmind,

I hope had been good today!

1) Yes, Upfront is a parent theme, you always need to use one of the child themes (Luke + Sara, Parrot, Panino, Scribe, Fixer or Spirit);

2) All Upfront child themes supports eCommerce and works well with our MarketPress plugin. Regarding to Woocommerce, right now, we have some issues that we hope to fix in a near future.

3) I think the main concept is different. Upfront is real front-end editor, you build and customize your website dragging elements, like using Photoshop, we can see all of our edits in real-time.

Divi is a quite different, it's backend based and works with modules.

4) If you decide to use other theme (without Upfront) you will not see any "crazy shortcodes", but some elements created in the pages, could be lost.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• warpedmind
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for the very complete and informative answer Luis. That's what I love about WPMUDev. :slight_smile:

What sort of issues are going on with WooCommerce and what is the target date to address?

I guess I could go to MarketPress, if you can help me feel more confident about it's maturity. I am currently under the impression that it has a little work to go, but perhaps I'm wrong on that too. Thoughts?

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello warpedmind,

What sort of issues are going on with WooCommerce and what is the target date to address?

We can't provide ETA on full integration with WooCommers - and for now the WooCoomerce pages are broke when using with Upfront themes.

I guess I could go to MarketPress, if you can help me feel more confident about it's maturity. I am currently under the impression that it has a little work to go, but perhaps I'm wrong on that too. Thoughts?

Well, there are some bumps with MarketPress (but mostly with the installations upgraded from 2.X versions) - but developers are working very hard to address every bug and deliver fixes. MarketPress as plugin is mature - next release should fix currents bugs :slight_smile:

kind regards,
    Kasia

• warpedmind
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Yes... I have to use a child theme... so I want to make a child theme of the child theme.

Think of it this way... the purpose of a child theme is that you can make changes and still not affect the core (parent) theme, right? So if you need to upgrade the theme, the child theme will inherit the parent theme upgrades.

So now, you are saying I must use a child theme. But what if I want to make custom changes to the child theme? I can do so, but I will not be able to take advantage of any updates to the child theme without taking a chance on losing my changes, right?

That's why I'm wondering if I can make a child of a child theme (a grandchild), just the same as I would make a child theme from the parent theme.

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi warpedmind

I hope you had a wonderful day.

I'm afraid, you can't make child theme of child themes, in your word, grand-child themes. @Luís already said, Upfront is real front-end editor, you build and customize your website dragging elements. So our child themes are not coded like all other regular child themes and we have very specialized code architecture for achieving the functionality of front-end editing.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi warpedmind

When any update for child theme is available, you only update the child theme. When update for Upfront is available, you only update Upfront. If update for both is available, you can update both.

You won't loose any changes you have made in your site as all settings are stored in the database.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• SooBahkDo
    • Syntax Hero

Any ETA on WPML multilingual support for Upfront?

Years? Months?

Elegant Themes indicates all their themes have been WPML compatible since 2013 and I need to choose a multilingual theme for a new site and wish I could use a Upfront child, but looks like that's not possible at present.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.