Upfront with Plugins/CPT/Custom fields

Hey guys,

I've just had a first look at the Upfront builder and am kind of overwhelmed. Great product. I haven't found the time to deeply dive into what's possible and what not but at first I couldn't find how to customize things that are not WordPress Standard like let's say templates for custom post types or insert custom field output into existing templates.

I've some projects in the near future that need some of that stuff and I though I'd ask before investing time into Upfront if it will make me happy regarding these topics.

Thanks for helping!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Helmi,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

For custom fields created with our CustomPress plugin or other plugins that provide shortcodes, these shortcodes can be used to incorporate custom fields' output on front-end. In Upfront you can put your shortcodes into "Text" module and that should work well.

As for custom post types. If you are building a theme with Upfront Builder you can give this trick a try:

assuming that your custom post type is e.g. cars and you wish to create layout for "single" post view, create a "Single post" layout and then using FTP go to /themes/yourtheme/layouts folder and copy it to "single-cars.php"; such file would be then included in a theme.

If you are designing using Upfront Editor (that you fire up by clicking on "Upfront" link in admin toolbar or "Appearance -> Customize") you could use that way:
    - open an example post of that custom type in browser (with Upfront Editor disabled!)
    - then enable Upfront Editor and create your design
    - then while saving it select "All posts of this type".

If you have additional questions, let me know please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there Helmi,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

That does sound great. So I understand it is possible to insert Shortcodes.

Of course it's possible, just like Adam said, using Text elements for that should be enough.

Can you also insert php code? Just in case it would be needed for some plugins?
    I guess you would be able to add to the functions.php just as with any other theme, right?

You could use the functions.php file for any custom functions or the Code element that comes via Upfront which supports HTML, Javascript and CSS code.

Alternatives here could a plugin to embed PHP snippets like this.

Take care,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.