upfront won't show up, my old site won't go away

I created a site with weebly and I don't know how to overwrite the old site to start developing the new site with my new WPMU tools with upfront and the new theme. I found the forum, but I believe it is to complicated, I'm a newb. I am going to need help.

Diane

I purchased the domain from hostmonster as well as host with them. They partner with WP as you know. This is one of the reasons I decided to switch to WP, I thought it would be an easy transition to a more powerful platform than weebly, but still a platform that an "average Joe" like me could still figure out without 6 months of learning by trial and error. Once I get the editor available, I think there will be no stopping me with WP.. I just need help figuring out how to switch to WP. Thanks for your response, I may need to contact hostmonster support.

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Diane,

I hope you're well today!

Do you have an FTP access to your site (or access via cPanel's File Manager on your server)?

If that's a yes, then I think you may want to access your site that way and take a look at files in the main folder. The main folder is the root folder of your domain and you'll know that you're there if you see folders like:

wp-admin
    wp-content
    wp-includes

and files such as

wp-activate.php
    wp-blog-header.php
    wp-comments-post.php

and some other starting with "wp-" part.

Check if there's a "index.html", "index.htm", "default.html" or "default.htm" file. If so, rename it to something like "index.org" (for "index..." file) or "default.org" (for "default....") file. Do not touch however the "index.php" file.

If this doesn't help, check please if there's also a ".htaccess" file (starting with dot ".") and post its content here.

That said, I'd suggest getting in touch with your hosting provider first and in case they weren't able to help you, please follow the steps described above.

Best regards,
    Adam

Diane

Yes I have access to FTP, cPanel file manager, I did get in touch with the hosting provider, however your pose was much more helpful Adam!
    For all those newb's out there like me, don't give up, I eventually had to delete the old files from the previous web builder I was using. I thought... like a newb... that WP would auto-overwrite.. my learning curve is rapidly improving.
    Once I deleted all those old files from the inadequate builder, my new WP super powers have kicked in.. well.. a little. I still have a long way to go. I'm still just an Regular Joe. But not for long!