Upgrade from non-paid to Paid in Directory Plugin

I have my Directory plugin set up so that users need to pay to be able to create a listing.

When a new user signs up, he can go through the process – get to Paypal, and then cancel, taking him back to my website. At this point, he now has a login for this website, even though he didn’t pay for it. He is a ‘non-paying Directory Member’.

This is fine… but how does this person go from being a non-paying member to a paid one? If they try to keep their same login credentials, the system recognizes them and won’t let them ‘sign up’ again. If they are logged in, there is nowhere for them to go to set up the recurring payments and become a Paid Directory Member.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Janet

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Janet, you are welcome.

Arnold is just taking over some of these plugins as you probably noticed, so he is also spending some time familiarising himself with the code as well. He is working hard at getting up to speed on them all. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your patience :slight_smile:

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Janet.

Nothing has yet been released yet unfortunately. Arnold is working on these plugins though (CustomPress, Directory and Classifieds) we anticipate some much needed love for the plugins being released soon.

Real sorry about the delay on this. We kinda threw Arnold in at the deep end on this one as he had never even used the plugin before being assigned as the lead on the project so its took him some time to familiarise himself with the code.

Thanks for your understand and patience with this one. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Yes I’ve been looking at it. It seems the easiest method might be to remind them to pay if they try to enter a listing, taking them off to the payment gateway again. But it’s not a simple change as you want to not go through the member info again.

• jloweezy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

It’s not as simple as reminding them to pay – they don’t actually have the option to pay… so me remembering to remind them won’t actually work. The only way then, would be to delete them and make them go through the registration process again. Is there no other possible way around this?

What happens when someone gets a login from the main site/network? Now, they have no access to the Directory site at all, but they also can’t sign up because the system will recognize they are already a user on the network.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

That’s why I said I need to remind them and let them pay without having to register again if possible. I have to cover other situations such as combinations of paid and unpaid and there have been requests for paid per listing as well.

I’m thinking the correct sequence would be register them as a member first and after they have email confirmed then they can buy what they like. A free membership which gives you better SEO and a mailing list of interested people. Then charge to upgrade to a Listing publishing membership.Make sense?

• jloweezy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ohhhhh, I see. I misunderstood, I thought you were suggesting that is my route as the site owner. Yes, by all means, remind them! Thanks!

And yes, that makes a lot of sense. Would that apply to the other ‘pay to upgrade’ plugins as well? If so, that would be sweet.

Thanks for all you are doing.

Janet

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Janet,

Just checking in to let you know that we have not forgotten about this and our entire team and certainly members are looking forward to the first release from Arnold which is certainly going to fix up several issues I would imagine.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Janet,

Just touching base with you to let you know that the recoding of the Directories plugin has proven to be a greater challenge then first anticipated, but that we are working hard to cull through the code to present a much better working product.

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Janet,

Once again touching base with you to let you know that the lead developer of Directories almost a week ago mentioned that it will still be at least a couple of weeks before he releases the new version of Directories plugin.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Janet,

As you may have noticed we have removed the availability of the Directory plugin from the site, but please do not panic, this is only temporary until the new version comes out which unofficially we anticipate to be released in the next week or two.

Thank you for your patience.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Janet,

I am marking this ticket as resolved as the issue pertains to the old version and may or may not be relevant anymore to the newly released version.

If you are indeed still having an issue with the new version of directory please open a new ticket and feel free to copy and paste any relevant information from this ticket into the new one as applicable.

Hopefully this issue has been resolved in the new version 2.1+ but if not please let us know of course.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.