Upgrade Membership Whilst On A Free Trial...

Hi Guys,

I'm using the membership plugin to good affect, but need some help with the following issue please...

Okay, so I have my site setup that on registration all users receive a 14 day free trial. Then, after the 14 day trial, the user must purchase a membership plan ( 1 - 3 - 6 or 12 month subscription) in order to use the site.

The problem I'm facing however is this...

How does a user on a 14 Day Free Trial upgrade their membership (become a paid member) before their 14 days have expired?

If they try to do this during the trial period they are directed to the upgrade page, but rather than displaying the various choices of membership that occurs when the 14 days are up, the page instead says:

Completed: Thank you for joining

It looks like you are already a member of our site. Thank you very much for your support.

If you are at this page because you would like to create another account, then please log out first.

How can I get ensure that users can upgrade their membership whilst still on their 14 day free trial?

Thanks
Rob

• Barry

Admin side signups - setting a default subscription in the options sets the users up on admin created subscription don't have an upgrade path.

Any users who signed up through the registration form and selected their own free subscription (using paypal solo gateway) do have a subscription upgrade path however - but you will need to create the account page and place the account and renew shortcodes on it for the functionality to show up on the front end of the site.

• godrob

Thanks Phil.

Barry, is there anyway I can achieve this without the user having to click on the Free Subscription?

In other words, when a user registers, they automatically are assigned the Free Subscription. I am using my themes default registration page, as I like the features it has, and not the membership plugin one...

I like the idea of the user joining my site and getting a free trail, without them having to manually click on a payment button or free button, whatever. I can then market to them for the trial period and hopefully they will end up becoming a paid member during the course

...But I still need them to be able to upgrade during the trial period.

What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help
    Rob

• billyvayne

It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense though because the current method is really inhibiting conversion upto a higher level of service.

I am having the same issue after following the instructions, once a member is a free subscriber their path ends.

I'm not sure how to get rid of this. a free subscriber should always be able to upgrade to something.

maybe we could get a better scenario setup instructions for people who offer free subs, this seems to be a popular question.

This is the only part of this plugin that i need resolved - at this point :slight_smile:
    currently i am using:
    PayPal Express - with Single Payments - because it states it supports free subscriptions.
    PayPal Express - with Subscriptions - I got the impression that this doesn't support free subs so can i use this with the free subs addon?

would be nice to have some button shortcodes for upgrades that ignore the timers as long as they are moving up - and not downgrading.

• Eric Collin

Hello, Any developpments Mason?

I am with the same problems here...

I give 3 days and my prospect CAN'T upgrade (with BULK credits) so they have to wait 3 days so the free trial expires, then the nightmare begins...

They lost all the plugins that were activated and theme. Now they can upgrade and they have to start their blog from scratch.

Very ugly system I have now. Trying to find a solution very quick! Can you help me???

Thanks so much!

• Mason

hiya @enriquep,

I'm a bit confused. Are you referring to our Membership plugin? We don't have bulk credits for that...

Yes, we did update the plugin and it's working out well for loads of folks.

If you have a plugin that's helping with blogs and sites, maybe you'd be better off looking at our Pro Sites plugin, which does exactly that.

Let us know. Additionally, you may find it more helpful to open up a new request and state specifically what you're looking for. Just click the "Ask A Question" link at the top of your browser window on any page. We're here to help :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.