Upgrade path for membership 2 pro

I am setting up a new membership and would like my current subscribers the ability to upgrade. My concern is that the current membership is using paypal and the new membership is using stripe. Will this cause an issue? If so how to circumvent?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Bryan,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

You members will be able to upgrade if upgrade paths are set for them but they'll need to use Stripe to pay for a new membership. If your Membership 2 Pro plugin is set to allow multiple memberships (so a user can be a member of multiple memberships) that would not cause any issues: one membership would be charged via PayPal and the other one via Scribe.

If a member can only be a member of a single membership, then the first one would be revoked and the second one would be granted and a member would be then charged via Scribe.

I hope that it addresses your concerns but if I missed anything or misunderstood your questions, let me know please :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Bryan,

That's correct, if your members can be subscribed only to one membership at the time then when they subscribe to membership with Stripe payment their PayPal membership will be canceled.
    Here's an example:
    - Let's say you have membership named M1 and that membership is configured to use PayPal as payment method.
    - You now create membership named M2 that's configured to use Stripe gateway.
    - There's an existing user subscribed to M1 and he subscribes to M2 now.
    - His M1 membership will be canceled and instead he will be assigned M2 and from that moment he will be billed via Stripe only.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Zeus
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Predrag, thanks for your support and everyone else who chimes in. :slight_smile:

I noticed when subscribing for the membership which is set up with a free trial that the payment information is not obtained.
    1. How will the system bill when the free trail is over using the stripe monthly payment option?
    2. Is there a way to grab the payment information but not deduct the payment during the trial period so the customer no longer has to come back?

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Zeus,

hope you're doing good and don't mind me chiming in!

any update to the CHANGE text I need changed?

You can use our Ultimate Branding plugin and specifically the Text Replace module to make any text replacements in strings that's translatable across your plugins and themes.

The text domain of Membership 2 PRO is membership2.

I noticed when subscribing for the membership which is set up with a free trial that the payment information is not obtained.

This is true I'm afraid. As the Stripe payment gateway doesn't allow pre-subscriptions, we don't require any card details. However, inside the very first invoice that users gets considering his subscription, he should be able to manually pay for activating the subscription.

He should also get some email notifications about his expiring trial period.

Hope that was some help, feel free to post back here if more assistance is required!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Zeus

Thank you, this does help regarding pre-subscriptions. As for the CHANGE text, this will also change another text on the site I have that says CHANGE. Would there be another solution?

Thanks so much for your help.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zeus,

Ultimate Branding doesn't go through your site and change each instance of the translated text, it actually looks for translatable strings from the plugins and themes and translates those only, so there's slight chance that it will change anything else.

You can also add text domain in order to make changes to M2 only, you can do that by using membership2 text domain like this:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zeus,

About your question here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upgrade-path-for-membership-2-pro#post-1207947

Can you tell me how this user has switched from one membership to another, it's a bit confusing since one membership is $5.00 and the higher one is $6.95, however the user was billed $5.61.
    Did you change pricing on one of the memberships while the user was subscribed?

Also, can you tell me ID of the user with this issue?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Zeus

Predrag, thanks for the reply.
    1. These users upgraded from the $5 to the $6.95 membership. The accounts are begin pro-rated.
    2. This issue is with several users: Example IDs: 68, 104, 787
    3. The pricing was not changed for either of the 2 memberships.

My initial issue was that I am seeing that the subscription is being prorated, but the monthly shows the prorated price.

• Zeus

Adam, thanks so much for your quick reply. It is very much appreciated. I can confirm this is not and was not active when any user was making the "switch".
    In fact, the original membership is active, but no longer public. This poses another question. I am not sure if I need to deactivate this membership, as it will no longer be offered to new clients, but "previous members" have the option to stay. Please advise.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zeus,

If your users will have an option to keep current membership then you will need to keep it active but leave it as private.
    This way current members will keep the membership while no new ones will be able to register to it.

About the issue with multiple memberships, this is quite strange and I was unable to replicate it on my installation, is it possible for you to setup staging site where we can test this with sandbox payment gateway?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zeus,

Since your site is live, with live payments, can you tell us at what time the traffic on your site is low so we can switch your gateways to sandbox at that time and perform couple of tests?
    Please let us know what time zone you use so we can be sure we're testing at correct time.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zeus,

I did some tests in the agreed time, just didn't get a chance to respond to you earlier.

So, during my tests the Pro Rating worked properly and I was billed only $1.95 when switching membership:

However the issue with original membership being still active did happened but I'm not sure what could be causing it, everything looks configured properly and on my installation it doesn't happen.

Did you already tried repeating the process but without any other plugins active so we can see if there's anything there that's blocking the functionality of M2?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Zeus,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in here! :slight_smile:

This kind of conflict test can ensure (or not) that issue is strictly related with M2PRO and your setup. I'd rather advise you to proceed with that to be absolutely sure that we aren't missing anything here. You can find a nice flow chart covering a generic conflict test here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/
    (just scroll down a little to see the image)

In short, you should deactivate all other plugins apart from Membership 2 Pro, activate a default theme like TwentySeventeen and test the Pro Rating web flow. If this seems to work as should have, then there's a conflict somewhere. Try to activate plugins and theme one-by-one, testing Pro Rating each time until you get the conflicted combination.

In your tests you should be able to see every membership level that's set as active and public.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Zeus!

Would you mind starting a separate thread about that? While the issue is about Membership 2 Pro it's of a different nature than the one discussed here and this thread is already very long and complex. Separating e-mails issue into its own thread would let us keep better track of information and provide you with help faster and in more accurate way. It would also help other members of our community to find information in case they came across the same/similar issues.

You may start a ticket here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.