upgrade recommendations

I've noticed that the Marketpress 2.4 + are not backwards compatible. I think it's far too early to upgrade to wp3.3 yet. So my question is what about all the other updates and bug fixes in the later releases. It seems kinda lame that I can't update the stuff that matters yet.

Any thoughts?

• Timothy Bowers

Hi wecreateyou.

I've noticed that the Marketpress 2.4 + are not backwards compatible. I think it's far too early to upgrade to wp3.3 yet. So my question is what about all the other updates and bug fixes in the later releases. It seems kinda lame that I can't update the stuff that matters yet.
    Any thoughts?

There are changes in WP 3, the guarantee here as you know is that WPMU Dev will guarantee plugins to work with new releases. Sometimes this means there is no backward compatibility.

This means that we guarantee to bring you up to date plugins which work with new releases

https://premium.wpmudev.org/our-upgrade-and-support-guarantee/

I'm sorry that you think it sucks, perhaps it is not ideal but I have upgraded my test installs and everything seems to running just fine for me without issue. Some of our production sites have not been upgraded yet but they will wait until the new year. :slight_smile:

Projects evolve, I'm sure Aaron wants these projects to be at the forefront and evolving, not just standing still until every last person is ready to upgrade at once.

Some great advise from Pro:

I would run your site on a test environment and try the upgrade to see if you really get any problems.

I hope you understand and when you are ready to upgrade, if you do have any issues then please let us know and we will gladly assist. :slight_smile:

Take care and all the best for the festive season.

• wecreateyou

Thanks Pro, Timothy... I get what you guys are saying of course I have started the process of testing everything but I still think that some of those changes should have been available before the 3.3 release. this way is beneficial to everyone I think.

I only mentioned this because I figured it would help shape the future with regards to how non-backwards compatible releases are deployed. It looks like there could have been a pre- 3.3 compatible release with some valuable updates squeezed in. While all of you guys points are valid I think mine is as well..

The point of the conversation is to challenge the approach in hopes that a better more conscientious one follows. If the majority of the updates depend on 3.3 then I totally get that. but the fact that there are all these other changes besides 3.3 compatibility released virtually at the same time means I have a point that does deserve consideration. That's all. This is meant constructively.

I hope that your responses don't leave the dev's to completely ignore what I'm saying. I think I have a valid point about planning for backwards incompatible upgrades.

Happy Holidays to all the WPMUdev family... you guys know I got nuthin' but love for ya!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

Of course your points are valid! Everyones are and all respected much the same. :slight_smile:

I don't disagree with you either. :wink:

I do think planning is important. I also think the question is when should a plugin take advantage of new things in the core (WP) and at what cost?

With that question in mind, how far should a plugin developer trail behind a WordPress release. WP releases are fairly often. Should there be an immediate release which may or may not break backwards compatibility or does the developer continually hold off until the next major version is nearly here.

How would one define an early adopter..... 1 week after release, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months.

Holding back releases in fear of computability potentially holds back development and evolution of a project. I've worked in various open source projects over the year and I've even co-ran them, one of them was a major competitor to WP. Slow development can and does kill projects.

So I guess now I'm asking, where is the line drawn? When should development progress and take importance over backward compatibility.

Of course a developer could keep programming backward compatibility checks but then comes bloat, so how do you weigh up bloat with lightweight to keep it working.

Just things to think about and consider. (devils advocate on some points :wink:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.