Upgrade to Membership 2 Causes Fatal Error to my Multisite Build and disables my site page.

Fatal error: Class MS_Addon_Automessage contains 1 abstract method and must therefore be declared abstract or implement the remaining methods (MS_Addon::get_id) in /home/creativeforum/public_html/Members/wp-content/plugins/protected-content/app/addon/automessage/class-ms-addon-automessage.php on line 24

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Bob,

Hope you're doing well today.

I have updated M2 on my site few hours ago and I'm unable to see this error, is it happening when switching from M2 1.0.0.8 to 1.0.1 or when updating Membership Premium to M2?

Also, I have notified developer about this so he can give us some more info regarding this issue.

For now can you try re-installing the plugin using WPMU DEV Dashboard and if that doesn't give any results try removing app/addon/automessage/class-ms-addon-automessage.php from plugin files and see if that helps.

Let us know of the results.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Bob

Hello Predrag,

Do you know offhand, if Membership 2 permissions are inherited throughout my entire Multisite network, if I have it installed in a connected website build?

I'm pretty certain that another plugin is affecting the update. I'm in the process of deactivating each plugin in the theme that I am using, one by one, as I attempt to find the culprit.

I'm still convinced that there is a "sloppy code" issue with one of those plugins.

I'll get back to you, once I've located the problem.

Bob

• Bob

Hello Predrag,

This is an interesting situation.

Here are the steps that I took to rectify the problem:

1. I updated Wordpress itself to 4.2.2 to see if there might have been some instructions in Wordpress itself that may have been unsuitable for the Membership 2 code, but was still receiving the error.

Result: No change. Build was stable.

2. I updated 2 themes requiring update.

Result: No change. Build was stable.

3. I updated Membership 1 to Membership 2.

Result: Build unstable. Fatal Error.

4. I deleted the class-ms-addon-automessage.php file in my file manager.

Result:
    Fatal error: Class MS_Addon_Bbpress contains 1 abstract method and must therefore be declared abstract or implement the remaining methods (MS_Addon::get_id) in /home/creativeforum/public_html/Members/wp-content/plugins/protected-content/app/addon/bbpress/class-ms-addon-bbpress.php on line 24

Predrag, if the plugin is this unstable, I will just go back to using S2 Member.

I feel very lucky that I don't have any members set up in this build yet. I cannot imagine the chaos that this would cause, if I were to lose or deal with corrupt member data.

Thank you very much for the help,

Bob

• Bob

Okay, I tried the following for this site build, but had no success:
    1. Deactivated all plugins for the theme. Upgraded Memberhip Pro 2.
    Result: Fatal Error crash
    2. Uninstalled all plugins for the theme. Upgraded Membership Pro 2.
    Result: Fatal Error crash.
    3. Changed Theme with no plugins. Upgraded Membership Pro 2.
    Result: Fatal Error crash.

I cannot find where the pointers are for the fatal error in the code. It looks okay to me.

I have installed Membership Pro 2 on another site build, and it is working just fine for now.

Analysis: Membership Pro 2 looks really cool. But, I'm really worried about member data and member records.

Based on my problems, and the problems I am seeing in forum threads, I will be going back to S2 Member until I see a more stable build.

Thank you for your help.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Bob,

I'm sorry to hear above solutions didn't work and that you had to switch away to different plugin, we do appreciate all the additional info you provided.
    I have forwarded this thread to our developer to see what could be the issue here and I'm sure your comments will help with pinpointing the cause.

I will post here when we manage to find a solution to this one.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Philipp Stracker

Hi Bob,

what you describe really looks strange... Also, we cannot reproduce anything like this on our own sites.

However, it seems that some files do not get updated correctly. In version 1.0.1 the file class-addon.php got a new abstract function that we implemented in ALL existing add-on files. What happens on your site seems like the file class-addon.php is updated correctly, but some files inside the /addon directory are not updated, so the implementation of that abstract function is missing in those files.

Maybe it's a permission issue.
    My suggestion is to manually delete the plugin from your wp-content/plugins directory and re-install it fresh from the WPMU Dashboard. This way you are sure to have the latest version of all files.

How did you install M2 Pro? Because I'm puzzled a bit that your site uses the "protected-content" directory. Actually our migration wizard should have renamed the plugin-folder to "membership".
    So please delete/move both the plugins "membership" and "protected-content" before you re-install Membership 2 from the WPMU Dashboard.

• Bob

Hello Philipp,

Thank you very much for going in and "taking a look under the hood" of my site build.

Your solution WORKED!!!

I think I know what the culprit is.

I went back and looked at my backups since I created the site. I had the Protected Content plugin installed at one point, with Pro Sites. I'm pretty sure that I was using install links, rather than downloading and installing manually. I also have been using S2 Member, prior to Membership Pro, so there is always a possibility that the protected content area was created at that point. My apologies, because I have been wrestling with the need to retain member records for active and non-active members for tax and historical purposes.

I want to be able to one day convert this incubator project, not just into a business, but what is known as a "benefits corporation". This type of business sets a precedent, because it will have all the benefits of a "for profit" business, with the benefits of a non-profit entity. Because of that last part, I will need to retain records (for quarterly and yearly reports) of all members for both federal and local governments:

1. What I was charging them for membership
      2. Proof of benefits to members
      3. Proof that members are able to sustain themselves
      4. What the members did
      5. How much they made, etc.

To show the benefits of this business to each individual member and how this business is of benefit to society-at-large.

So, whatever I am using to collect the financial and beneficial data HAS to be reliable. Any empty spaces will be interrogated thoroughly, as I am being given certain "free passes" in running the business before I have actually started it.

Anyway, my apologies for dragging my reasons out into the thread.

So, I have Membership Pro 2 working, and will continue to forge forward. You have all created an outstanding service for those of us less gifted with the talent for understanding Wordpress.

Thank you Philipp and Predrag!

P.S. If your team ever comes up with a <hint> <hint> functional plugin for voice social media applications such as: TeamSpeak 3 or Mumble (for example), I'll be the first to jump on it for my site. - Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.