Upgrade WordPress version general question.

Hello,

I am currently running 3.0.5 and am looking to update to a new version of WordPress.

I am using Multi-DB

My question has to do with the regular disable all the plugins instructions.
For plugins that are activated on individual sub sites would I delete the plugin ?
It seems like that would not be ideal as thousands of sites would now have to relogin and activate all their plugins. How do you guys handle that? Am I missing something?

Should the plugins all be updated before before the attempt to update WordPress?
Is their a awesome document about upgrading somewhere on this site?

My plan is to setup a couple test runs on a LAMP virtual machine that I can just snapshot and revert changes.

• Mustafa
    • Syntax Hero

Hiya,

First back up all data (ftp+databases).
    Then check wordpress latest requirements and config your server for it.
    After then upgrade wordpress platform.

This is my opinion,I haven't thousands sites in my network.

Also I want to ask,Do you want to upgrade only wordpress or plugins?

Cheers,

• jozwikjp
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I would like to install both the plugins and WordPress.
    My end goal is to get to something that can be patched a little faster when security updates come out.

I am setting up a virtual server on our local vsphere machine. I am going to just migrate the entire site to that. Get it running. Take a snapshot.
    Then try to upgrade a million times until I find something that works. Reverting the snapshots as needed :slight_smile:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Going from 3.0.5 to 3.2.1 shouldn't be too much of a hassle. I've done it a few times and haven't experienced too many issues. I would upgrade WordPress first, followed by the plugins and themes.

For edublogs, we did several trial runs before actually upgrading. Even still, it took awhile for the upgrade script to run through each site (I think we eventually killed it and modified it to upgrade when a user actually logged into the site).

On smaller installs I've personally upgraded 3.0 to 3.2.1 without disabling the plugins. Once WordPress is updated I then upgrade the plugins. The only issue would be if a plugin was coded in a way that broke the site bad enough to have a PHP error (bringing down the site). Test for this and if you find a plugin that does this, just update it at the same time as you overwrite your core WordPress files.

I always get a bit nervous when upgrading a network install, but since 3.0 updates have gone remarkably smoothly.

Thanks and good luck!

• jozwikjp
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Finally migrated my setup with the sharded database and everything to a vSphere machine.
    I have to say this is definitely the way to test a upgrade.

I migrated all the sites and the databases. Then I setup dns records to point to the test server.
    Test one totally failed :slight_smile: Just hit the rewind button and 15 seconds the site is back up and running and ready to get destroyed again :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.